The Student Room Group

Please Help Decide on Which University is Best!

Removed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Which course is the most interesting to you? Where do grads end up?
Original post by Yasmine08
Hello, I would appreciate your inputs regarding which Uni will be best regarding the Quality of the course and the Graduate Prospects ? (For a Master's Degree) I'm trying to decide on which uni among :

1/ De Montfort
2/ Coventry
3/ Portsmouth
4/ Sussex
5/ Hertfordshire

Course : Banking and Finance Msc / Investment MSc

(If you have infos about Kent and Birmingham too!)

Thank you!
Reply 2
In DMU I applied for the banking and finance MSc course, same for Coventry. And I'm honestly still lost between these too. Sussex is too expensive for me, and Portsmouth is a bit far from the other cities (I also I read it's more of an industrial city). Who do you think is best ? DMU or Coventry???
Original post by alleycat393
Which course is the most interesting to you? Where do grads end up?
The course title may be the same but the exact content may be different so pick the more interesting one. Does it matter what the city is like? You will only be there for 3 years whereas your degree will stay with you for life.
In DMU I applied for the banking and finance MSc course, same for Coventry. And I'm honestly still lost between these too. Sussex is too expensive for me, and Portsmouth is a bit far from the other cities (I also I read it's more of an industrial city). Who do you think is best ? DMU or Coventry???
Reply 4
It's a postgraduate progra, so only 1 year. Makes it more difficult to choose tbf! I'll send you a PM.
The course title may be the same but the exact content may be different so pick the more interesting one. Does it matter what the city is like? You will only be there for 3 years whereas your degree will stay with you for life.
How does that make any difference? In fact you'll be there for less time then. There's no point in PMing me as this is a discussion for this thread.
It's a postgraduate progra, so only 1 year. Makes it more difficult to choose tbf! I'll send you a PM.
Reply 6
I specified it was a postgrad program to make things more clear. And I already compared the course's structure in both DMU and Coventry, and I couldnt decide based on the titles of the courses!
How does that make any difference? In fact you'll be there for less time then. There's no point in PMing me as this is a discussion for this thread.
As above you need to look beyond the course titles. There will be minor differences between courses which should help you decide. No one can do this for you and at your level if you cannot do this for yourself maybe postgrad level study is not for you. Good luck!
I specified it was a postgrad program to make things more clear. And I already compared the course's structure in both DMU and Coventry, and I couldnt decide based on the titles of the courses!
Reply 8
Lol. You really don't have to be rude. Nobody forced you to answer to the discussion. Especially if you think you can do all this talking without offering any help!
I'm an international student, so picking up unis not knowing how different the environment might be more tricky.
As above you need to look beyond the course titles. There will be minor differences between courses which should help you decide. No one can do this for you and at your level if you cannot do this for yourself maybe postgrad level study is not for you. Good luck!
Reply 9
Thank you for replying to my discussion!
Im an international student, so I try to read about the cities and unis as much as I can. Do you find finance courses at Portsmouth to be good? When it comes to the quality of teaching?
Hun we're just going round in circles so someone needs to shake you up a bit. You're not asking for help. You're asking for hand holding and spoon feeding. It's very clear as you cannot clearly articulate what research you have done and why you are stuck. You just want someone to give you an answer. You cannot expect this at uni and if you do you're unlikely to get very far. I was an international student too and did my own research. Anyway, it's really in your best interests to do a bit of research. Good luck!

Ps:- the poster above is an undergrad student :smile:
Lol. You really don't have to be rude. Nobody forced you to answer to the discussion. Especially if you think you can do all this talking without offering any help!
I'm an international student, so picking up unis not knowing how different the environment might be more tricky.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
All I asked for is someone to tell me how the quality of teaching is in whatever uni I stated above. I already did my research about professors in each uni, and the courses they might be teaching me. And the reason I asked is because students who actually been to either of those unis would know more about the actual environment, than maybe what l read about it online.
Hun we're just going round in circles so someone needs to shake you up a bit. You're not asking for help. You're asking for hand holding and spoon feeding. It's very clear as you cannot clearly articulate what research you have done and why you are stuck. You just want someone to give you an answer. You cannot expect this at uni and if you do you're unlikely to get very far. I was an international student too and did my own research. Anyway, it's really in your best interests to do a bit of research. Good luck!

Ps:- the poster above is an undergrad student :smile:
Ok so you have worked out what the differences are between the courses? And what are they? Where do graduates from each end up? What work/research opportunities do the courses offer? Student experiences will be personal and not necessarily relevant to you but all the above will stay with you for life.
All I asked for is someone to tell me how the quality of teaching is in whatever uni I stated above. I already did my research about professors in each uni, and the courses they might be teaching me. And the reason I asked is because students who actually been to either of those unis would know more about the actual environment, than maybe what l read about it online.
Reply 13
Yes, I did search about the differences between each course when I was comparing the course structure in both Unis. I do have a clear idea on which course is supposed to teach what since I'm already in that field. But theory> reality. Many times I would read X course and it would be teaching something too general. I read the career prospects each program offers, but I couldn't find where each grad does end up, or other grads experiences.
Ok so you have worked out what the differences are between the courses? And what are they? Where do graduates from each end up? What work/research opportunities do the courses offer? Student experiences will be personal and not necessarily relevant to you but all the above will stay with you for life.
Then email the uni and ask! Now we're getting somewhere. You cannot just post 'give me an answer' type questions, especially re: postgrad stuff, and expect people to just give you an answer. That's not what we're here for. This is a big and expensive decision so how and why are random people on the internet meant to make it for you? And how is anyone to know what you have already found if all you've said it tell me which uni to choose?
Yes, I did search about the differences between each course when I was comparing the course structure in both Unis. I do have a clear idea on which course is supposed to teach what since I'm already in that field. But theory> reality. Many times I would read X course and it would be teaching something too general. I read the career prospects each program offers, but I couldn't find where each grad does end up, or other grads experiences.
Reply 15
You're right. I appreciate that. I will do that, and do more research. Thanks
Then email the uni and ask! Now we're getting somewhere. You cannot just post 'give me an answer' type questions, especially re: postgrad stuff, and expect people to just give you an answer. That's not what we're here for. This is a big and expensive decision so how and why are random people on the internet meant to make it for you? And how is anyone to know what you have already found if all you've said it tell me which uni to choose?

Portsmouth industrial?? Too far from where? It's hardly remote. Coventry is far more industrial and Leicester is not 'leafy'

I think Birmingham would be more highly regarded than these - you need to look at the courses and see where grads end up. Kent is lovely city if you are based in Canterbury.
Hello, I would appreciate your inputs regarding which Uni will be best regarding the Quality of the course and the Graduate Prospects ? (For a Master's Degree) I'm trying to decide on which uni among :

1/ De Montfort
2/ Coventry
3/ Portsmouth
4/ Sussex
5/ Hertfordshire

Course : Banking and Finance Msc / Investment MSc

(If you have infos about Kent and Birmingham too!)

Thank you!

Hi there!
If you're looking to study at Kent you might find it helpful to speak to a current student studying the same course as you are looking to so you can get a sense of what it might be like, here ;https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
The Unibuddies will be able to answer all course related questions like applying for their courses, how they've found it, what they're looking to do after they graduate, etc.
In terms of life at Kent there is loads on offer! Kent campus is really beautiful with views over Canterbury town and loads of fields and green spaces which makes it feel really relaxing. There's also plenty of societies and sports on offer too which means there's always a good buzz about campus. Canterbury town is also beautiful with loads of shops, restaurants and cafes, and its only a 20 minute walk from campus.
If you're able, I'd definitely recommend attending applicant days/open days to get a feel for the university and be able to talk to current students to see how they're finding their courses.
If you have any other questions about Kent at all, then please feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending