The Student Room Group

how long should you spend revising daily for A levels in 2 months

A levels are fast approaching (actually I do Pre-Us but kinda same thing) and I feel very behind on revision. I go to a good school so I don't think I am in a bad position, but I need to spend a lot of my own time to start revision. My question is how long do we need to be spending revising everyday?

My school is from 8:30-5:30 and I dont get back till 6:30. I reckon I need around 2/3 hours per day after school, is that sensible?

Also how long on weekends? 5/6 hours??
That's reasonable for now, but I'd honestly increase it over the Easter holidays.
thanks- how much do you suggest over the holidays?
Original post by angelinahx
That's reasonable for now, but I'd honestly increase it over the Easter holidays.
Original post by studyanonymous2
thanks- how much do you suggest over the holidays?

It depends entirely on what grades you want and how well you’ve been doing in mocks, but I’d honestly look at 6/7 hours a day if you’re capable of holding focus for that long
What grades do you need for uni?
(edited 5 years ago)
I would've said start 3-4 months before. The time you spend revising depends on how many subjects you do as well. I do three subjects - one subject is fully exam based so that takes up about 3 hours on a normal weekday while the others consist of exams + coursework so the rev time for that I usually spend 2-3 hours in the weekday.

For weekends, it really depends because I often just relax or do a past paper/make questions myself and answer them.
I was predicted A*A*A* but for mocks I got A*A* D (Im seriously not joking everyone in my year failed maths) I need AAA to get my offer so my biggest worry is moving up my maths grade. I don't have an insurance offer (as in AAA is my min grade requirement) so I am motivated to get my grade but I often get tired during the day and end up procrastonating. I am willing to do 6+ but I'm not sure how to make it efficient revision
It depends entirely on what grades you want and how well you’ve been doing in mocks, but I’d honestly look at 6/7 hours a day if you’re capable of holding focus for that long
What grades do you need for uni?
Original post by studyanonymous2
I was predicted A*A*A* but for mocks I got A*A* D (Im seriously not joking everyone in my year failed maths) I need AAA to get my offer so my biggest worry is moving up my maths grade. I don't have an insurance offer (as in AAA is my min grade requirement) so I am motivated to get my grade but I often get tired during the day and end up procrastonating. I am willing to do 6+ but I'm not sure how to make it efficient revision

Those are amazing predicted grades, and congratulations on your offer! I'm literally in your situation right now - was predicted AAA (which was generous, I'm not getting that) but fu-cked up mocks and got BBB - I'm absolutely positive I can get ABB though and possibly AAB if exams go well and I work hard. Nottingham/Bristol wants ABB, Manchester/Glasgow wants AAB, I don't have any "insurance" in case I fu-ck up again and I applied to all RG unis. I'm not even counting the hours I'm doing revision at the minute but I usually revise from 5ish to 11PM? Honestly, if you got a D in your mock and you need an A* you should probably (read: definitely) work more than 2/3+ hours a day - it sounds like your teacher is pretty **** though if the whole class failed.
I wish had any specific tips about maths revision, but I'm doing all humanities. It's necessary to section it up though, so instead of saying: "I'm gonna study ... umm.. maths?? for 2 hours?? okay, I'll put on some music, and oops my mate just texted me let's get lit on saturday that's 25 minutes gone - okay let's etc etc" to actually section it up, so I'll make a plan:
1. I will cover AO1 for Bowlby's theory of maternal deprivation - 45 minutes.
- Do past exam questions under time pressure until I can recite it off by heart.
Break: (15 minutes) - get Starbucks/tea, stretch, drink some water, text, eat a cookie or an apple.
2. Quick 5-10 min recap
- Cover next topic etc.

Avoid any distractions (so getting rid of your phone is imperative). I also found YouTube videos on revision tips for your specific subject extremely helpful (I definitely don't study Psychology the same way I study English) - as well as the guides on here - I swear, that's the only reason I'm slowly improving in English (my analysis in class is much better than it was).
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you so much! and well done on all your offers! Yh maths is my real worry at the moment- I want to get a tutor but the one my school is recommending in over £100 per session and I am in no position to afford that rn. Those revision tips are so useful and you are so right- I get distracted pretty easily so its always easier to get rid of the phone. I will try doing 4 hours when possible but I reckon that's a bit too intense for me and I won't be able to maintain. I know my university won't lower their required grade if I miss it which is so frustrating because maths is so irrelevant to my degree, but I guess at this stage it is make the grades or unplanned gap year for me- good lord
Those are amazing predicted grades, and congratulations on your offer! I'm literally in your situation right now - was predicted AAA (which was generous, I'm not getting that) but fu-cked up mocks and got BBB - I'm absolutely positive I can get ABB though and possibly AAB if exams go well and I work hard. Nottingham/Bristol wants ABB, Manchester/Glasgow wants AAB, I don't have any "insurance" in case I fu-ck up again and I applied to all RG unis. I'm not even counting the hours I'm doing revision at the minute but I usually revise from 5ish to 11PM? Honestly, if you got a D in your mock and you need an A* you should probably (read: definitely) work more than 2/3+ hours a day - it sounds like your teacher is pretty **** though if the whole class failed.
I wish had any specific tips about maths revision, but I'm doing all humanities. It's necessary to section it up though, so instead of saying: "I'm gonna study ... umm.. maths?? for 2 hours?? okay, I'll put on some music, and oops my mate just texted me let's get lit on saturday that's 25 minutes gone - okay let's etc etc" to actually section it up, so I'll make a plan:
1. I will cover AO1 for Bowlby's theory of maternal deprivation - 45 minutes.
- Do past exam questions under time pressure until I can recite it off by heart.
Break: (15 minutes) - get Starbucks/tea, stretch, drink some water, text, eat a cookie or an apple.
2. Quick 5-10 min recap
- Cover next topic etc.

Avoid any distractions (so getting rid of your phone is imperative). I also found YouTube videos on revision tips for your specific subject extremely helpful (I definitely don't study Psychology the same way I study English) - as well as the guides on here - I swear, that's the only reason I'm slowly improving in English (my analysis in class is much better than it was).
Hey, if you need a maths tutor I highly recommend checking out Tutorful as you can have online sessions which only cost £25/hour. My boyfriend has recently graduated from the University of Bristol and does online sessions for £25, if you'd like to give that a go you can drop me a message. Sometimes it really helps to have someone just to run through past papers/mark things/explain things in a different way.

Definitely, definitely check out Tutorful as even if you'd like someone to come out to you in your area it would probably be quite cheap!

Good luck
Also those are great grades so don't panic! The fact they are A* instead of As certainly helps.
Thank you so much- I will def have a look!
Original post by electroprincess
Hey, if you need a maths tutor I highly recommend checking out Tutorful as you can have online sessions which only cost £25/hour. My boyfriend has recently graduated from the University of Bristol and does online sessions for £25, if you'd like to give that a go you can drop me a message. Sometimes it really helps to have someone just to run through past papers/mark things/explain things in a different way.

Definitely, definitely check out Tutorful as even if you'd like someone to come out to you in your area it would probably be quite cheap!

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest