The Student Room Group

Comparing Uni Psychology Department

Hello :smile: I am from Malaysia applying for Bsc psychology intake 2019.

so far I've gotten all 5 offers but only contemplating between Warwick, UCL or Kings. the requirements for all three unis are so far achievable for me so I desperately need other factors such as the difference in uni psychology department or efficiency pf the lectures between these 3 unis to help me decide my firm.

It would be nice to get opinions from alumni or current students from the respective unis but opinion from others are welcomed as well. please help a sister out :frown: thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Go to UCL, it has the biggest psych department in the UK and has a very good rep for it internationally as well. Plus it's in London, so you will have tons to do. King's is in London too, but UCL is better. If you prefer a more quiet location then you should consider Warwick, obviously.
UCL psych alum here

- largest psych department in Europe
- old department (KCL's BSc psych course is only a few years old)
- high international student intake
- options to do modules outside of psych in first and second year
- great location (KCL is London too but I believe their department is in South London vs. lovely Bloomsbury for UCL)

I'm sure there's more if you have any specific questions for me!
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz
UCL psych alum here

- largest psych department in Europe
- old department (KCL's BSc psych course is only a few years old)
- high international student intake
- options to do modules outside of psych in first and second year
- great location (KCL is London too but I believe their department is in South London vs. lovely Bloomsbury for UCL)

I'm sure there's more if you have any specific questions for me!

Thank you for the reply! really reaaaally appreciate this :smile:
So about the UCL's psych department being the largest in Europe, what makes it really special? I mean does that means the facilities are very good or that the exposure to the field is much more diverse or because of something else? what about the lectures and workload? are the lecturers very good and helpful? I can't deny tho that I'm scared of choosing UCL as my firm because I'm afraid that the pressure is too great for me to handle. would love to hear your opinion about this matter :smile:
Reply 4
thank you for the reply :h:
How loud is London though? Would it actually to the point that it can affects my studies?
Tbh i'd prefer to be in a calm environment but I'm afraid Warwick is way too isolated
Original post by chaosblues
Go to UCL, it has the biggest psych department in the UK and has a very good rep for it internationally as well. Plus it's in London, so you will have tons to do. King's is in London too, but UCL is better. If you prefer a more quiet location then you should consider Warwick, obviously.
Original post by NiniRazali
Thank you for the reply! really reaaaally appreciate this :smile:
So about the UCL's psych department being the largest in Europe, what makes it really special? I mean does that means the facilities are very good or that the exposure to the field is much more diverse or because of something else? what about the lectures and workload? are the lecturers very good and helpful? I can't deny tho that I'm scared of choosing UCL as my firm because I'm afraid that the pressure is too great for me to handle. would love to hear your opinion about this matter :smile:

Large popular department attracts 'better' lecturers, you are taught by some big names!
Facilities are great, though this is more attractive to postgrads, I'm not sure if a 3rd year can use the MRI machines etc. but who knows?
Workload itself isn't much more than A-level I found, but the academic pressure is quite something! Having said that, I wouldn't have switched to another place for undergrad given the choice again :smile:
thank you for the reply :h:
How loud is London though? Would it actually to the point that it can affects my studies?
Tbh i'd prefer to be in a calm environment but I'm afraid Warwick is way too isolated

No, I don't believe so. It depends on the hall I would presume. When you apply for accommodation you get to put down some preferences though. It kind of depends on you as well. If you are the kind of person that's easily persuaded into going out every night, then living in London might affect your studies, but that's probably the case elsewhere as well.

I've never been to Warwick, so I can't really tell you what it's like.
I live in Leamington Spa which is 10 mins away from warwick uni and my opinion from living here is that warwick is a very good, modern university that is pretty highly regarded by employers however there is one huge downside that is the fact that its in coventry. the surrounding area is apparently very bad and so most people after their first year go and live in Leamington spa which is the town near coventry and this means that you would have to get a bus/drive to coventry every day however even though it is only a 10 min drive in terms of distance, the traffic in the morning/afternoon afterwork is very very bad across those roads leading to the uni so it could literally take 1hr+ each way which some people find very depressing.

However Leamington is a very nice town as a matter of fact if your into those
Reply 8
That sounds great! I'm looking forward to gain many exposure and knowledge first hand from experienced lecturers which I think UCL can definitely offer based on what you say. Are their ways of teaching lively and interesting?

As an alumni, what do you think of the modules? Are they very diverse? I've looked into the modules which i think they are more to brains or biological related modules. is that so? I might misunderstand the modules by just reading it through website. Also, is there any sort of independent study in UCL and if there is, can you explain more about it?

Thank you :smile:
Large popular department attracts 'better' lecturers, you are taught by some big names!
Facilities are great, though this is more attractive to postgrads, I'm not sure if a 3rd year can use the MRI machines etc. but who knows?
Workload itself isn't much more than A-level I found, but the academic pressure is quite something! Having said that, I wouldn't have switched to another place for undergrad given the choice again :smile:
Reply 9
Oh I didn't know that we get to to put down our preferences, which i think is great! I think I'm easily persuaded though haha but knowing that London is expensive and all, I don't think I'll go out THAT frequent.
Do you live in london btw? just wanna know how hard it is to find cheap accommodation and what is the average price range of accommodation in London per month

thank you :smile:

(Original post by chaosblues)
No, I don't believe so. It depends on the hall I would presume. When you apply for accommodation you get to put down some preferences though. It kind of depends on you as well. If you are the kind of person that's easily persuaded into going out every night, then living in London might affect your studies, but that's probably the case elsewhere as well.

I've never been to Warwick, so I can't really tell you what it's like.
Reply 10
I've heard that Lemington Spa is a popular area for Warwick students isn't it?
but wow literally 1hr+ each way? That's insane! So do people actually wake up early in the morning just to take the bus which I bet will be crowded and full as well in the morning? if that so, I might have to be worried of choosing Warwick because I usually wake up late haha. also, if bus is the main mode of transport for students, is it really efficient despite the traffic?

Original post by Afterlife?
I live in Leamington Spa which is 10 mins away from warwick uni and my opinion from living here is that warwick is a very good, modern university that is pretty highly regarded by employers however there is one huge downside that is the fact that its in coventry. the surrounding area is apparently very bad and so most people after their first year go and live in Leamington spa which is the town near coventry and this means that you would have to get a bus/drive to coventry every day however even though it is only a 10 min drive in terms of distance, the traffic in the morning/afternoon afterwork is very very bad across those roads leading to the uni so it could literally take 1hr+ each way which some people find very depressing.

However Leamington is a very nice town as a matter of fact if your into those
That sounds great! I'm looking forward to gain many exposure and knowledge first hand from experienced lecturers which I think UCL can definitely offer based on what you say. Are their ways of teaching lively and interesting?

As an alumni, what do you think of the modules? Are they very diverse? I've looked into the modules which i think they are more to brains or biological related modules. is that so? I might misunderstand the modules by just reading it through website. Also, is there any sort of independent study in UCL and if there is, can you explain more about it?

Thank you :smile:

Yes UCL is very brain and biological heavy course from taking to other people in other psych departments in UK.

With independent study, I think it’s the same as most other universities in that you dictate how much or how little you do. Tutorials and seminars do require prior reading though
Oh I didn't know that we get to to put down our preferences, which i think is great! I think I'm easily persuaded though haha but knowing that London is expensive and all, I don't think I'll go out THAT frequent.
Do you live in london btw? just wanna know how hard it is to find cheap accommodation and what is the average price range of accommodation in London per month

thank you :smile:

I don't atm. I used to live there though.

It's not cheap. I think the UCL accommodation prices range from 150-250 a week (maybe cheaper if you are open to sharing a room). Obviously there are other student options but they aren't cheap either. You'll probably have to pay around 200-250 after first year as well, depending on where you want to live (how close to uni etc.).
Reply 13
As a science stream student, i hope it would not be too hard for me to study. By any chance, do you have anything that you dislike about the module or anything lacking about this course in UCL compared to other uni?
Yes UCL is very brain and biological heavy course from taking to other people in other psych departments in UK.

With independent study, I think it’s the same as most other universities in that you dictate how much or how little you do. Tutorials and seminars do require prior reading though
Reply 14
do you think its possible to get a house for a rent with the price of 400-500 per month?
Original post by chaosblues
I don't atm. I used to live there though.

It's not cheap. I think the UCL accommodation prices range from 150-250 a week (maybe cheaper if you are open to sharing a room). Obviously there are other student options but they aren't cheap either. You'll probably have to pay around 200-250 after first year as well, depending on where you want to live (how close to uni etc.).
Reply 15
I really wish I can have more reviews or opinions about the Psych Department at Warwick or Kings as well :frown:

Hello :smile: I am from Malaysia applying for Bsc psychology intake 2019.

so far I've gotten all 5 offers but only contemplating between Warwick, UCL or Kings. the requirements for all three unis are so far achievable for me so I desperately need other factors such as the difference in uni psychology department or efficiency pf the lectures between these 3 unis to help me decide my firm.

It would be nice to get opinions from alumni or current students from the respective unis but opinion from others are welcomed as well. please help a sister out :frown: thank you!
do you think its possible to get a house for a rent with the price of 400-500 per month?

If you are willing to share a room, maybe. Otherwise, no.

Quick Reply

Latest