The Student Room Group

Incomplete combustion

I have a question (I donā€™t have the mark scheme so itā€™s more what youā€™d assume the answer is most likely going to be) and itā€™s ā€˜give 2 reasons why incomplete combustion is undesirableā€™
Would the answer be more due to economical reasons like ā€œ itā€™s gives off much less energy than complete combustion so it costs moreā€ or would it be more based on environmental issues ā€œit creates carbon monoxide and water which are both pollutantsā€
Original post by SwingyWingyshoes
I have a question (I donā€™t have the mark scheme so itā€™s more what youā€™d assume the answer is most likely going to be) and itā€™s ā€˜give 2 reasons why incomplete combustion is undesirableā€™
Would the answer be more due to economical reasons like ā€œ itā€™s gives off much less energy than complete combustion so it costs moreā€ or would it be more based on environmental issues ā€œit creates carbon monoxide and water which are both pollutantsā€

Water is NOT a pollutant.

Incomplete combustion can produce both carbon and carbon monoxide. The first causes an increase in microparticulates that are implicated in lung disease and cancer as well the the formation of secondary pollutants. Carbon monoxide is toxic and can kill in an enclosed space.

Economic reasons are also valid. You are correct that less energy is released, and carbon deposits can require cleaning, which costs money.
Original post by charco

Incomplete combustion can produce both carbon and carbon monoxide. The first causes an increase in microparticulates that are implicated in lung disease and cancer as well the the formation of secondary pollutants. Carbon monoxide is toxic and can kill in an enclosed space.

Economic reasons are also valid. You are correct that less energy is released, and carbon deposits can require cleaning, which costs money.

Original post by charco

Cheers, Iā€™m just quoting what my chemistry work booklet says, weird how water isnā€™t a pollutant but is a greenhouse gas though I can see why however
Original post by SwingyWingyshoes
Cheers, Iā€™m just quoting what my chemistry work booklet says, weird how water isnā€™t a pollutant but is a greenhouse gas though I can see why however

Water is not counted as a greenhouse gas even though it contributes more to the greenhouse effect than all of the others. The water cycle is an essential part of the Gaia ecosystem.
Original post by charco
Water is not counted as a greenhouse gas even though it contributes more to the greenhouse effect than all of the others. The water cycle is an essential part of the Gaia ecosystem.

Iā€™m just going off what the spec wants tbh

Quick Reply

Latest