The Student Room Group

Nursing and Tattoos

Hi, I have applied to study’s Adult Nursing at the University of Sheffield in September. I have recently got a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist of an outline of a rose. I was just wondering whether this will need to be covered up for placements or if the university will not approve and it will affect my job opportunities?
On their code of conduct it says “visable tattoos are to be discouraged but in cases where they are visable they should not be offensive”. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of working in Sheffield teaching hospitals with tattoos?
Hey sorry I can’t help I have no idea about their policy. But I just wondered have you received and offer/interview yet? I have only just applied for September 2019 and I have an interview for in a few weeks
Original post by Ems2012
Hi, I have applied to study’s Adult Nursing at the University of Sheffield in September. I have recently got a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist of an outline of a rose. I was just wondering whether this will need to be covered up for placements or if the university will not approve and it will affect my job opportunities?
On their code of conduct it says “visable tattoos are to be discouraged but in cases where they are visable they should not be offensive”. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of working in Sheffield teaching hospitals with tattoos?

It will depend on the university and placement's policy. You may be asked to cover it up, so it would be good to be prepared to do so. Lots of nurses do have tattoos and have no issues, however as a student you really do need to just comply with whatever your mentor or ward manager asks.

Employers will not actively discriminate against you based on a small tattoo, but you do need to consider how people with different viewpoints may perceive your tattoo as part of your professional role.

Realistically, you have the tattoo now so there is little use in worrying, you really just need to appropriately deal with any consequences.
Reply 3
Thankyou! When I read their policy it said they were to be discouraged but if they were already present then if they are offensive they should be covered up. So hopefully I should be ok?
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It will depend on the university and placement's policy. You may be asked to cover it up, so it would be good to be prepared to do so. Lots of nurses do have tattoos and have no issues, however as a student you really do need to just comply with whatever your mentor or ward manager asks.

Employers will not actively discriminate against you based on a small tattoo, but you do need to consider how people with different viewpoints may perceive your tattoo as part of your professional role.

Realistically, you have the tattoo now so there is little use in worrying, you really just need to appropriately deal with any consequences.
Reply 4
Yes, I had my interview and got my offer in December! The interview is really quite relaxed and everyone is lovely so don’t worry :smile:
Original post by Nataliech1
Hey sorry I can’t help I have no idea about their policy. But I just wondered have you received and offer/interview yet? I have only just applied for September 2019 and I have an interview for in a few weeks
Original post by Ems2012
Thankyou! When I read their policy it said they were to be discouraged but if they were already present then if they are offensive they should be covered up. So hopefully I should be ok?

Well, I imagine it’s pretty unlikely anyone finds roses offensive.
Hopefully you will be.
Many hospitals do have policies of no visible tattoos (no matter what they are), so you'll just have to wait and see- a small rose may be acceptable
Original post by Ems2012

I mean it's really as I've said above. If you are asked to cover them then you should do so without questioning, which you may be asked to do at the discretion of anyone above you. The only time students with tattoos have problems is if they have provocative/vulgar tattoos, politically motivated tattoos or refuse to cover them (or make a fuss about doing so).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending