The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath's reputation

Hi everyone,

How is the University of Bath's reputation? Is it considered a prestigious, well-known, and hard-to-get-in university?

Thank you very much.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ericchau
Hi everyone,

How is the University of Bath's reputation? Is it considered a prestigious, well-known, and hard-to-get-in university?

Thank you very much.

Hard to get into? You're asking the wrong questions here. What course do you want to study or apply for? And how exactly does the university you're interested in deliver/ or how acclaimed are they? are the sort of questions that count. The vanity "my uni is prestigious" notion is very misplaced (not unimportant....just misplaced) if you're trying to get an education. Choosing a university is very dependent on what you want to study

Bath is pretty easy to enter if you're thinking of studying counselling or education, but they have high standards for the sciences, Maths, Economics, Psychology and Engineering, because they offer a high quality education in those courses and are known nationwide to do so.
(edited 5 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
Hard to get into? You're asking the wrong questions here. What course do you want to study or apply for? And how exactly does the university you're interested in deliver/ or how acclaimed are they? are the sort of questions that count. The vanity "my uni is prestigious" notion is very misplaced (not unimportant....just misplaced) if you're trying to get an education. Choosing a university is very dependent on what you want to study

Bath is pretty easy to enter if you're thinking of studying counselling or education, but they have high standards for the sciences, Maths, Economics, Psychology and Engineering, because they offer a high quality education in those courses and are known nationwide to do so.

Thanks for your opinion. I'm interested in studying Computer Science at the University of Bath so I'm wondering if the university is well-known and highly-regarded in this field. What do you think?
(edited 5 years ago)
I will divide your question into 3 parts
1. Reputation 2. Quality 3. Acceptance Rate
1. Reputation: Apart from Oxford, Cambridge, the LSE, Edinburgh, and Imperial, most people in the USA won’t know the difference between the various UK universities, so it can be either University College London or Warwick or Manchester or Bath all are same reputed. This doesn’t speak to their merits, just awareness. In UK and Europe this university is well known for its quality. Even in my country (Sweden), we know Bath very well.

2. Quality: It's a highly important institution in both it's research and teaching especially in it's science, maths, economics and engineering courses! In terms of its league table ranking, it is currently 4th in the country (according to the Guardian League Table rankings), and last year the Sunday Times League tables ranked it as 3rd). It's entry standards are some of the highest in the country, and it's psychology degree (which I once studied) has requirements which match both Oxford and Cambridge.

3. Acceptance Rate - Bath acceptance rates are 20%. That means every 100 applicants only 20 are successful which makes an applicant harder to achieve this feat. But this is only when Maths and Sciences are concerned. Remaining courses Bath is easy to get into!!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ClairaSuzen
1. Reputation: Apart from Oxford, Cambridge, the LSE, Edinburgh, and Imperial, most people in the USA won’t know the difference between the various UK universities, so it can be either University College London or Warwick or Manchester or Bath all are same reputed. This doesn’t speak to their merits, just awareness. In UK and Europe this university is well known for its quality. Even in my country (Sweden), we know Bath very well.

2. Quality: It's a highly important institution in both it's research and teaching especially in it's science, maths, economics and engineering courses! In terms of its league table ranking, it is currently 4th in the country (according to the Guardian League Table rankings), and last year the Sunday Times League tables ranked it as 3rd). It's entry standards are some of the highest in the country, and it's psychology degree (which I once studied) has requirements which match both Oxford and Cambridge.

3. Acceptance Rate - Bath acceptance rates are 20%. That means every 100 applicants only 20 are successful which makes an applicant harder to achieve this feat. But this is only when Maths and Sciences are concerned. Remaining courses Bath is easy to get into!!!

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! I really appreciate your help! Tack mycket! :smile:

your acceptance rate stat is bogus, totally incorrect.. You're misinterpreting it. out of a 100, an average of 20 CHOOSE to attend Bath, not 20 achieve it. On average across all their courses, they give out offers to 80% of people who apply. Those people who apply might apply to Imperial, or LSE or blah blah and choose to go there.

Besides it is called a yield rate not "acceptance rate" and that is a measure of the university's ability to "draw" students to attend its institution.
Thanks for your opinion. I'm interested in studying Computer Science at the University of Bath so I'm wondering if the university is well-known and highly-regarded in this field. What do you think?

I dont know, i applied for Chemical Engineering and its top 10 in that so i'm good. I'd say go on the universities website and download their prospectus, look at league tables (emphasis on league tables not table) for the last 5 years, one league table is not enough and one year is not enough, universities outside the top 10 chop and change every year, what you want, is to see a university that is consistently ranked highly over a long period of time.

Look up the course structure, how do Bath teach your subject, how do you get to interact with lecturers. This is crucial.

Lastly, lookup the universities job prospects( how they prepare graduates for industry, graduate employment rate etc) Bath excel in that, their placement year scheme in virtually all their degrees, means you'll be in the best position to not only gain experience, but probably get a job after you finish.
Reply 7
I dont know, i applied for Chemical Engineering and its top 10 in that so i'm good. I'd say go on the universities website and download their prospectus, look at league tables (emphasis on league tables not table) for the last 5 years, one league table is not enough and one year is not enough, universities outside the top 10 chop and change every year, what you want, is to see a university that is consistently ranked highly over a long period of time.

Look up the course structure, how do Bath teach your subject, how do you get to interact with lecturers. This is crucial.

Lastly, lookup the universities job prospects( how they prepare graduates for industry, graduate employment rate etc) Bath excel in that, their placement year scheme in virtually all their degrees, means you'll be in the best position to not only gain experience, but probably get a job after you finish.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! I really appreciate it! :smile:
Hey dude..
I m not misleading. I am reporting from the internet.
your acceptance rate stat is bogus, totally incorrect.. You're misinterpreting it. out of a 100, an average of 20 CHOOSE to attend Bath, not 20 achieve it. On average across all their courses, they give out offers to 80% of people who apply. Those people who apply might apply to Imperial, or LSE or blah blah and choose to go there.

Besides it is called a yield rate not "acceptance rate" and that is a measure of the university's ability to "draw" students to attend its institution.
Hey dude..
I m not misleading. I am reporting from the internet.

Wow.... you literally googled it and posted it. Well done, the site which produces that so called stat by the way is rubbish.

I shouldn't really be having to teach you this, its elementary stuff really. You don't just believe every stat you see on the damn internet, you see what constitutes the statistic, or rather how its calculated.
The guardian, lol. It's ranked just outside the top 10, great place though.
its 6th in the guardian league table tho
Original post by random_matt
The guardian, lol. It's ranked just outside the top 10, great place though.
Calm down dear (although I am not a patron nor a lover of Bath). But ya you opened my eyes. :smile: thanks ..! @ericchau Please correct my last point of acceptance rate, this guy is right.. without enough proof reading I posted that pic. That pic is from some garbage site with no authenticity. Rest Bath is good and we swedish people also know Bath as a great University . Be motivated, listen to few as you are going in one of good Univ of UK/Europe.
Wow.... you literally googled it and posted it. Well done, the site which produces that so called stat by the way is rubbish.

I shouldn't really be having to teach you this, its elementary stuff really. You don't just believe every stat you see on the damn internet, you see what constitutes the statistic, or rather how its calculated.
its 6th in the guardian league table tho

The guardian uses questionable methodology, no one takes it seriously. Basically it is the complete university guide and QS (World).
Reply 14
Calm down dear (although I am not a patron nor a lover of Bath). But ya you opened my eyes. :smile: thanks ..! @ericchau Please correct my last point of acceptance rate, this guy is right.. without enough proof reading I posted that pic. That pic is from some garbage site with no authenticity. Rest Bath is good and we swedish people also know Bath as a great University . Be motivated, listen to few as you are going in one of good Univ of UK/Europe.

Thank you very much for your advice! You really make me like Bath uni a lot more :smile:
Absolutely !!!!! The last thing I wanna say - QS Ranking every one believes, right?? Univ of Bath is 158th in the world out of 1000 which makes it into 15.8% of the world and this is not only in QS link here https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-bath THE rankings rank it into top 200 of the world link here https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-bath AWRU rankings rank it as 400th ranked link here http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2018.html . And all three Ranking frameworks are well established by Employers, Research and Infrastructure basis.
Take pride in whatever Institution you go. This will help you to be successful and do wonders over there :smile:
Thank you very much for your advice! You really make me like Bath uni a lot more :smile:
Reply 16
Bath is a very good yooni
That is all you need to know
Reply 17
Absolutely !!!!! The last thing I wanna say - QS Ranking every one believes, right?? Univ of Bath is 158th in the world out of 1000 which makes it into 15.8% of the world and this is not only in QS link here https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-bath THE rankings rank it into top 200 of the world link here https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/university-bath AWRU rankings rank it as 400th ranked link here http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2018.html . And all three Ranking frameworks are well established by Employers, Research and Infrastructure basis.
Take pride in whatever Institution you go. This will help you to be successful and do wonders over there :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice again! I really appreciate it! 😄
Reply 18
Original post by math42
Bath is a very good yooni
That is all you need to know

Thank you for your opinion :smile:
I prefer writing anonymously, as I don't want to make my friends sad or my faculties angry :biggrin:

About me: I am a Politics and International Relations student. I have ADHD and an international student.

It is a good university. Yet, if looks are important for you, by this I mean the looks of campus and buildings, then Bath uni’s architecture is going to upset you. Ok… well, let’s accept who wouldn't want to study at a historical building such as those in Oxbridge, LSE, KCL or UCL… I mean their buildings are incredible. Well, Bath uni was established in the 60s thus it has the beautiful 60s design and sometimes matching to the grey sky.

Aesthetic aside, lets look at academics…..

Hmmm. No offense to any alumni or staff but change must be made. The following or my experiences. I don't know other departments but I was unsatisfied with the teaching or feedback of the staff. The thing is that we have mostly 2 hour lectures of theory( please, some empathy), and the worst thing is that (a) the lecturer reads exactly of the powerpoint, (b) tries to its utmost ability to make it dull. I know its easy to criticise (that being said they are ruthless in terms of grading). But, really, there is like two or three good lecturers and thats it. This one lecturer was very good and engaging but she stopped coming to class and sent her doctorate student. Well, I’ll tell you this, at the second half, the class was almost empty.

What else. Ok. Imagine this: you wake up at 8 am and get ready to go to class and the teacher tells you that the uni is using lectures because it is the most easiest and cheapest way of teaching while knowing that it is the least helpful way of teaching. He went on to say, lectures are not that important, we shouldn't rely on them to pass exams, but read books. Logically, students started asking, “Then why am I getting debated (90250 or more for Int students) if what I really need is to read books?”. A little heads up, this discussion came up following the UCU strike action, when we were worried as to how we were supposed to do well when we missed so many lectures.

In regards to the UCU action, the teachers did not, except one, consider in removing exam question missed due to strike or extend deadlines. I think when they waited us to empathise with them, they should have tried to understand us.

I have auditory processing disorder and the uni knows this and i have the right o record, but the lecturer didn't allow me.

When this examiner graded my wiring and critiqued it for the writing to not have one colour and that i didn't define an obvious word. I went back with a re-written piece of that work and she took a glance and thats it.

Seriously, I want to study politics not to put a tick at one of the boxes that is expected by the society or your parents, but because it is my purpose in life. I have a goal and I am living to fulfil it and this place is not the place for it. University should be about igniting your passion, allowing you to engage in discussions where you find out where you are and who you are. It is about getting in the morning and attending that one lecturer where the one thing the lecturer creates this fervour in you to stand up and take action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending