The Student Room Group

Home Office quotes Bible verses to prove Christianity is not a religion of peace

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaJa18796
That’s true but the principles of christianity are to turn the check when hit

That must be why so many popes commissioned armies to go to the Middle East, eh?
Original post by Good bloke
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.

Old testament v New testament though. Hardly anyone takes old testament literally.
Original post by 999tigger
Old testament v New testament though. Hardly anyone takes old testament literally.

except me of course.☝️
We just have tyo worry about organised child abuse and the role of the church in covering it up, eh?

That is a circular justification of nastiness. God does it because it is OK if he does it. Twaddle! Circular or not, it is completely unacceptable.

No one said that Christianity was free of any problems but Statistics and common sense tells me that one is far far far more dangerous than the other

Regardless of the version upgrade, the god is the same one and the older stuff is evidence of its nature. Obviously, it doesn't really exist, but using the scripture against the religion is perfectly fair. In any event, have you read the New Testament Book of Revelations?

And, while Christians set the commandments on a pedestal, the Old Testament is still important. Funny that you never hear of one refusing to wear clothing of mixed fibres though, isn't it. Perhaps they just can't count beyond ten.
(edited 5 years ago)
That must be why so many popes commissioned armies to go to the Middle East, eh?

nah, it's because they follow a 'pope' instead of the Bible. greedy little perverts.
Original post by londonmyst
Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.

You would need to see it in context though. There were indeed violent events and wars about religion, but they were often just about power hiding behind religion. Your other religions never had the popularity or significance.

Need to read the article properly, but looks like Home Office person is thoroughly unsuitable.
Original post by Leviathan1611
except me of course.☝️

Tbh already disregarded you so you didnt figure.

So you take New Testament literally, but don't take Old Testament literally? Are you picking and choosing what you believe in?
Tbh already disregarded you so you didnt figure.

ah I see. nevermind ☹️
Original post by Wired_1800
So you take New Testament literally, but don't take Old Testament literally? Are you picking and choosing what you believe in?

i think they are.
That is a circular justification of nastiness. God does it because it is OK if he does it. Twaddle! Circular or not, it is completely unacceptable.

Is it right to send people to prison, yes of course it is, they are the one in the wrong. Just like human kind our punishment for sin is death.

Personally I am not a catholic, a Protestant, but just because the pope did it doesn’t mean it was right and that is what Christianity is, no one, except Jesus, is perfect.
Just like human kind our punishment for sin is death.

Not in a civilised country it isn't. You must live in ancient times, the first or seventh, or maybe the sixteenth century maybe?
Not in a civilised country it isn't. You must live in ancient times, the first or seventh, or maybe the sixteenth century maybe?

Sorry I may have miscommunicated that when the world was created no one would die, so now we sin we eventually die.
Sorry I may have miscommunicated that when the world was created no one would die, so now we sin we eventually die.

Hmm. We mustn't miss out the clincher that makes the fairy tale real, must we?
Yes, Christianity may not be the most peaceful religion, but it beats me how this had any important relevance t9 their application.
You would need to see it in context though. There were indeed violent events and wars about religion, but they were often just about power hiding behind religion. Your other religions never had the popularity or significance.

Need to read the article properly, but looks like Home Office person is thoroughly unsuitable.

I'm very familiar with the historical, theological and political context.
I was replying to a poster who seems to have got into the habit of typing the phrase "religion of peace" in reference to one abrahamic religion.
So I offered him an opportunity to discuss something different for a change.
Original post by Wired_1800

You can read about the differences here.
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-the-Old-Testament-and-the-New-Testament-1

They are different, but modern day Christianity is much more to do with how to live your life. As such this is given much more emphasis.
Old testament was written at a different time and is much more foundational about events.
Original post by Leviathan1611
i think they are.

I had some sympathy for you before, but now I have none.
I had some sympathy for you before, but now I have none.

ok.

Quick Reply