The Student Room Group

University of Leeds or Lancaster University?

Hi so I'm now in the process of making my firm and insurance after receiving all my offers. I'm stuck in between choosing Leeds and Lancaster but leaning more towards University of Leeds.

I will be studying business management with marketing at Leeds and if I go Lancaster I will study either business management, business administration or marketing.
For Leeds I will need AAA (ABB for A2L) and Lancaster is AAB.

I am resitting and last year I had made Lancaster my firm and really liked the campus when I visited, especially the library. However, it did seem fairly quiet and since the University is away from the town centre I would have to take the bus.

However, Uni of Leeds has everything close by and in walking distance and the campus is really nice. I also prefer Leeds accommodation than Lancaster's, though the prices are quite high.

They are both pretty high in the tables for my courses and when comparing the two, I found Leeds has more and better opportunities.

Also I've not visited Leeds campus yet but there is an accommodation viewing day this Saturday which I'm unable to go because of work.
I have a friend who went Leeds and she has dropped out because she didn't like her course and so on.

Which university should I go for?
Original post by rokaya.00
Hi so I'm now in the process of making my firm and insurance after receiving all my offers. I'm stuck in between choosing Leeds and Lancaster but leaning more towards University of Leeds.

I will be studying business management with marketing at Leeds and if I go Lancaster I will study either business management, business administration or marketing.

I am resitting and last year I had made Lancaster my firm and really liked the campus when I visited, especially the library. However, it did seem fairly quiet and since the University is away from the town centre I would have to take the bus.

However, Uni of Leeds has everything close by and in walking distance and the campus is really nice. I also prefer Leeds accommodation than Lancaster's, though the prices are quite high.

They are both pretty high in the tables for my courses and when comparing the two, I found Leeds has more and better opportunities.

Also I've not visited Leeds campus yet but there is an accommodation viewing day this Saturday which I'm unable to go because of work.
I have a friend who went Leeds and she has dropped out because she didn't like her course and so on.

You are doing the right thing because you are going to see for yourself. Take a friend.
Talk to students on your course via the student societies.

Personally I would go Leeds because I wouldnt want to be isolated and Leeds has plenty to do plus a full range of shops.
Too long, didn't read. Pick Leeds.
Reply 3
Thanks for replying and yes I talked to students in their 2nd years on the same course and the course seemed really interesting after talking to them.
Original post by 999tigger
You are doing the right thing because you are going to see for yourself. Take a friend.
Talk to students on your course via the student societies.

Personally I would go Leeds because I wouldnt want to be isolated and Leeds has plenty to do plus a full range of shops.
I was in a similar situation to you last year. I had an offer from Lancaster and had used all of my choices but would rather have applied to Leeds. I decided to risk it and apply for Leeds. If you have any questions about the university or Leeds as a city feel free to ask. The only thing I can't help with is uni accommodation as I am living in a house not halls.
Reply 5
Original post by angelinahx
Too long, didn't read. Pick Leeds.

But... Leeds is in Yorkshire.

Pick Lancaster.
Original post by Pigster
But... Leeds is in Yorkshire.

Pick Lancaster.

Imagine picking Lancaster over Leeds
Reply 7
Imagine picking Lancaster over Leeds

I went to Leeds.

But my experience is a couple of decades old, I won't attempt to suggest one is better than the other.

Saying that, I've never really liked Lancaster and have quite fond memories of Leeds (apart from the horrendous crime in students areas).

Its just a shame its in Yorkshire.

Then again, Yorkshire :frown:

(I'm from Lancashire, if you hadn't guessed).
Went to leeds open day last september. Central village accommodation was close to city centre, but over subscribed, so its a maybe you get in that one. charles morris, henry price was also good and close by to uni/city. There are other accommodation to see ie devonshire, north hill court etc, but further down the road; so on a rainy day, it would be suitable for a bus. Leodis is 15 mins walk.
Leeds is good but halls i hear for mainly first years only, so you would likely need private halls/ student rented accommodation for further years.

I would weigh up what you want out of it. Partying/City uni then Leeds. Campus/Collegiate then Lancaster.
Original post by Pigster
I went to Leeds.

But my experience is a couple of decades old, I won't attempt to suggest one is better than the other.

Saying that, I've never really liked Lancaster and have quite fond memories of Leeds (apart from the horrendous crime in students areas).

Its just a shame its in Yorkshire.

Then again, Yorkshire :frown:

(I'm from Lancashire, if you hadn't guessed).

Not British, what's wrong with Yorkshire?
Not British, what's wrong with Yorkshire?

We both hold (comedy, mostly) grudges:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses
Leeds. I went to lancaster and regret it. From Leeds
May I ask why?
Original post by Hirsty97
Leeds. I went to lancaster and regret it. From Leeds

Why did you regret it?

Hello,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!
Lancaster is a campus uni so when there's no students around, it can be quiet. However, during term time, the campus tends to be pretty busy. It's about a 15 minute bus journey to the city. Campus unis aren't for everyone, but one of the main differences is that it means all students live close to each other in first year, so most people you meet in first year will be living nearby. It means as well you won't be more than a 15 minute walk away from any of your lectures or seminars and don't have to stress about the buses etc when you first get here. We have lots of bars, places to eat and shops on campus meaning you don't have to leave, but there's a free bus to Sainsbury's on a Wednesday and a free bus to and from the SU nightclub in town. It is a cheap place to live, with rents in town being even cheaper than on campus accommodation.
You can chat to students on the courses you're interested in using UniBuddy if you have specific course queries: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/
Let me know if I can help you with anything
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
this thread should be super helpful for you! If it was helpful, feel free to tell me in the thread :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6424786

Hiya, did you end up going to Leeds ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending