The Student Room Group

OCR A-level History Unit 3: Y301-Y321 - 21 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Hello and welcome to the OCR History AS and A Level Exam Threads

:party:

See here for unit 1, and here for unit 2.

Dates
A Level: Tuesday 21st May (Afternoon)

Specification Link:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/history-a-h105-h505-from-2015/

TSR History Study Resources:
How to write a Killer History Essay
TSR History Study Discussion Thread
TSR Revision Hub
Over 35 000 History Study Resources

Topics

The Early Anglo-Saxons 400–800

The Viking Age 790–1066

English Government and the Church 1066–1216

The Church and Medieval Heresy 1100–1437

The Renaissance 1400–1600

Rebellion and Disorder under the Tudors 1485–1603

Tudor Foreign Policy 1485–1603

The Catholic Reformation 1492–1610

The Ascendancy of the Ottoman Empire 1453–1606

The Development of the Nation State: France 1498–1610

The Origins and Growth of the British Empire 1558–1783

Popular Culture and the Witchcraze of the 16th and 17th Centuries

The Ascendancy of France 1610–1715

The Challenge of German Nationalism 1789–1919

The Changing Nature of Warfare 1792–1945

Britain and Ireland 1791–1921

China and its Rulers 1839–1989

Russia and its Rulers 1855–1964

Civil Rights in the USA 1865–1992

From Colonialism to Independence: The British Empire 1857–1965

The Middle East 1908–2011: Ottomans to Arab Spring

This thread can be used for purely the A Level exam. There is no unit 3 for AS students.

I did USA Civil Rights for A Level two years ago, feel free to ask me anything.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Revision Tips

thehistoryboreExams are coming up, and I don't know about you but that gives me heart palpitations; but if you're not bricking it, you're not prepared enough! I've seen a handful of exam seasons in my time and I've tried and tested a few methods of revising for History exams. So let me share what's worked for me.

METHOD A; REVISIONCEPTION

Think of the film Inception; it's a dream within a dream within a dream etc. Think of this method as notes within notes within notes etc. Here's how you do it;

- Use textbooks to compile a complete revision guide. You shouldn't simply copy out texts; engage your brain and treat it as a comprehension task and make clear notes, you'll get more out of it that way! Divide the book into chapters based on the topic that they focus on. The notes should be fairly detailed.
- Then, write a more condensed version of these notes based along the same technique; effectively, cut out words to leave the bare information.
- Repeat until you have two or three pages worth of notes for your whole course/module. You can read them the morning of the exam and it should all come flowing back to you. It did for me!

METHOD B; THE READER

You definitely have to be a 'visual learner' for this, so it may not work for all of you. Nevertheless, you should all aim to read at least one book outside your textbook, particularly for A-Level. It'll help develop your understanding of topics enormously.

Effectively; find a book that covers most of your course (there's literally millions of history books out there covering all sorts of things, so there's no excuses saying that there's no book for your course). Then close read it - no skimming. Simple and effective.

If you're doing a degree, you obviously need to read more than one book!

METHOD C; MIND MAPPING

Not something I do extensively, but it helps an awful lot of people and thus is more than worthy of mention.

Make beautiful and colourful mind maps (the more simple they are the better; don't make a wall of text. Each end of a brand should have no more than five or six words on them) on each topic and pin them up directly above your bed; make them the first thing you see in the morning, and the last thing you see in the evening. Revision owns you now. Don't forget it.

METHOD D; INTERACTIVE REVISION

Ever heard of Prezi? No? Well you should do. It's like a more exciting version of PowerPoint, and the more exciting something is the better you will remember it.

Make yourself presentations on topics and then flick through them! It's a quick and simple way to make them.

A friend of mine was a bit of a wizard when it came to video production; he used to make these excellent revision videos (which he gave to my school, rather than making them open source on YouTube, so unfortunately I cannot share them). So if that's your thing, get creative!

undercxver
Condensing Content/Speeding up revision:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

Source Questions:

You need to consider the following things:

Purpose: What's the purpose of the source? (e.g. to inform, to describe etc.)

Author: Who's the author of the source? Does this make them biased in any way?

Nature: What type of source is it? (e.g. book, report, article etc.)

Date: When was it published? Does the date have any significance? Is it outdated?

Audience: Who was the audience? How did it impact them? [this one isn't neccessary]

General questions to ask yourself:

How useful is the source?

Did the author/writer omit anything?

Is there any bias? -Why is there bias? How is it neutral?

Click here to tell us what topic you're doing, and see the list here for who else is doing your topic.
Hi, I will be sitting the OCR civil rights exam soon & was wondering if you could tell me how you would structure your essays for the 25 marker as I'm really struggling with it & was wondering if you had any example essays or essay plans for the depth study &/or themes? Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by anonoymous1234
Hi, I will be sitting the OCR civil rights exam soon & was wondering if you could tell me how you would structure your essays for the 25 marker as I'm really struggling with it & was wondering if you had any example essays or essay plans for the depth study &/or themes? Thank you.

@04MR17 FYI as you did Civil Rights.
Reply 5

My area of expertise. These are my best essays.
It's a thematic study, so your essay should cover different themes. Here's my teacher's rule of thumb that has worked perfectly for years now:

African Americans:
-social rights (stuff like segregation, lynchings)
-economic rights/ economic position
-political rights

Native Americans:
-political rights (includes their land)
-economic rights
-cultural rights

Women:
Political rights
Economic rights (things like equal pay and job opportunities)
Social rights incl rights over their body

Trade unions:
Right to exit/workers to join
Right to strike (yes, it's different to the right to join. Take federal employees for instance, they can unionise but not strike)
General labour rights, like pay and conditions.

If it's a turning point question, it's vital that you evaluate the extent to which it was a turning point, and take a look at potential alternative turning points. So always look for the limitations of major developments.
What in particular are you struggling with? :smile:

This guide may prove of some use when it comes to writing essays.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981

Have a look at the generic mark scheme too. :yes:
thanks & I struggle with making comparisons across the entire period 1865-1992 (I can do them for certain factors but not all factors)
Original post by 04MR17
What in particular are you struggling with? :smile:

This guide may prove of some use when it comes to writing essays.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981

Have a look at the generic mark scheme too. :yes:

Submit reply
thanks & I struggle with making comparisons across the entire period 1865-1992 (I can do them for certain factors but not all factors)

Submit reply
Okay, which factors do you struggle with? :smile:

Sometimes an easy one to go for is the actions of presidents, or of Washington D.C. as a whole.

Comparing the leadership of movements is often an interesting one too.
Reply 9
Submit reply

Well if there isn't much to talk about regarding change in one period, you can mention that too, to contrast it with turning points.
thank you! I don't suppose you have an example essay to look at?

Original post by Sinnoh
My area of expertise. These are my best essays.
It's a thematic study, so your essay should cover different themes. Here's my teacher's rule of thumb that has worked perfectly for years now:

African Americans:
-social rights (stuff like segregation, lynchings)
-economic rights/ economic position
-political rights

Native Americans:
-political rights (includes their land)
-economic rights
-cultural rights

Women:
Political rights
Economic rights (things like equal pay and job opportunities)
Social rights incl rights over their body

Trade unions:
Right to exit/workers to join
Right to strike (yes, it's different to the right to join. Take federal employees for instance, they can unionise but not strike)
General labour rights, like pay and conditions.

If it's a turning point question, it's vital that you evaluate the extent to which it was a turning point, and take a look at potential alternative turning points. So always look for the limitations of major developments.
Reply 11
i dont suppose ANYONE is doing german nationalism ???
is anyone doing russia and its rulers 1855-1964??
the 21st may is when we have our exam for 2019?
Reply 14

Yes, that’s correct. It’s Unit 3/Paper 3 first for some weird reason.
anyone doing civil rights in the usa 1865-1992 - need help please with the question "The policies of the Federal government failed to support the civil rights of Native Americans.’ How far do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?"
- I find Turning point Qs and assessing one factors importance v another easy to achieve synthesis, but with a sole federal government Q how would you synthesise without listing chronologically and just listing hinder/progress? ATM all im thinking of doing here would be mentioning that Federal goverment failed to effectively support Native americans until Nixon due to their previous policies linking to assimilation and termination - I theme it citizenship rights, tribal rights and land rights and would aim to include Federal Goverment aspects SC/Congress/President
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by krisiasenovax
is anyone doing russia and its rulers 1855-1964??

Yes
Reply 17
Anyone doing Tudor foreign policy, 1485 - 1603?
Reply 18

correct for Unit 3 History on OCR spec.
Reply 19
How is everyone feeling for Tuesday? Still doesn't feel real to me...

Latest

Trending

Trending