The Student Room Group

MSc Clinical Psychology aren't BPS accredited :/

Hiya,

Does anyone know why MSc Clinical Psychology aren't BPS accredited :/

Is there any point in doing this course?

Currently an MSc Psych conversion student but looks like I may just pass.

My career goal is clinical psychologist so I was wondering if the MSc Clinical Psych was the way to go due to the terrible grade; so that I had a chance to get onto the doctorate programme.

But apparently none clinical psychology masters aren't accredited :/

Scroll to see replies

Accreditation is only one of your problems if you want to be a clinical psychologist as you need to have work experience such as in an assistant psychologist position and also the Dclinpsy is very competitive meaning most people will probably have 1st class degrees
Reply 2
Original post by Afterlife?
Accreditation is only one of your problems if you want to be a clinical psychologist as you need to have work experience such as in an assistant psychologist position and also the Dclinpsy is very competitive meaning most people will probably have 1st class degrees

I was thinking about this which is why I thought this MSc in Clinical applications may help. However it isn't accredited.

https://www.newman.ac.uk/course/clinical-applications-of-psychology-mscpgdippg-cert/part-time/

I'm hoping to find an assistant psychologist position once I graduate in June and do this Msc online. But unsure if it is worth it due to it not being accredited.
Original post by sheena.k
I was thinking about this which is why I thought this MSc in Clinical applications may help. However it isn't accredited.

https://www.newman.ac.uk/course/clinical-applications-of-psychology-mscpgdippg-cert/part-time/

I'm hoping to find an assistant psychologist position once I graduate in June and do this Msc online. But unsure if it is worth it due to it not being accredited.

To answer your question on why it’s not accredited I guess it’s because bps accreditation requires a certain amount of content to be taught and Msc courses in general do not provide such breadth. And so MSc courses usually only admit people that already have at least a 2:2 in a BPS accredited psychology degree as this will mean they have graduate basis for chartered membership GBC
Reply 4
Original post by Afterlife?
To answer your question on why it’s not accredited I guess it’s because bps accreditation requires a certain amount of content to be taught and Msc courses in general do not provide such breadth. And so MSc courses usually only admit people that already have at least a 2:2 in a BPS accredited psychology degree as this will mean they have graduate basis for chartered membership GBC

Do a masters pass convert to a 2:2 :/
Original post by sheena.k
Do a masters pass convert to a 2:2 :/

If you successfully complete a bps accredited conversion course you will be eligible for GBC
Accredited masters are only needed for conversion courses. You only need to do one accredited course (either undergrad or postgrad)
Whoever said they aren't accredited due to their content is correct - the BPS sets out guidelines that courses must follow in order to be awarded accredited status. The traditional pathway to become a Clinical Psychologist is the DClinPsy, it requires a much more intensive course of study to become a registered psychologist compared to other areas of psychology.

Be aware as well that you'd have to fund a second Masters yourself - the postgraduate loan can only be used once.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Hello. I'm currently stuck in the same situation and would really appreciate some guidance.

I'm an international student and I have recently completed my Bachelor's degree. I applied to the UK for my Msc in Clinical Psychology and got accepted but before I make a decision I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I want to work as a Clinical Psychologist in the long run but at the moment the University I got selected in did not require me to apply for gbc via bps. Furthermore the Msc Clinical Psychology course is not accredited by bps as well. Will this create an issue when I apply for my PsycD or Mphil?

Please please let me know, I'm in complete distress and don't know what to do. :/
Original post by bones-mccoy
Whoever said they aren't accredited due to their content is correct - the BPS sets out guidelines that courses must follow in order to be awarded accredited status. The traditional pathway to become a Clinical Psychologist is the DClinPsy, it requires a much more intensive course of study to become a registered psychologist compared to other areas of psychology.

Be aware as well that you'd have to fund a second Masters yourself - the postgraduate loan can only be used once.
Some international courses are BPS accredited (or can be). If you want to become a CP, you will need to have an accredited undergrad/postgrad course. It only matters when applying for courses that qualify you (so MPhil wouldn't be relevant - PsycD would depend on the course)
Original post by AJaries
Hello. I'm currently stuck in the same situation and would really appreciate some guidance.

I'm an international student and I have recently completed my Bachelor's degree. I applied to the UK for my Msc in Clinical Psychology and got accepted but before I make a decision I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I want to work as a Clinical Psychologist in the long run but at the moment the University I got selected in did not require me to apply for gbc via bps. Furthermore the Msc Clinical Psychology course is not accredited by bps as well. Will this create an issue when I apply for my PsycD or Mphil?

Please please let me know, I'm in complete distress and don't know what to do. :/
Reply 10
Thank you for responding!

Well my undergrad is not qualified for GBC. I've heard of a BPS Qualifying Exam. Can I give that after my Master's to acquire a GBC/ accreditation? I really don't want to take a conversion course.
Reply 11
Original post by Interrobang
Some international courses are BPS accredited (or can be). If you want to become a CP, you will need to have an accredited undergrad/postgrad course. It only matters when applying for courses that qualify you (so MPhil wouldn't be relevant - PsycD would depend on the course)

Well my undergrad is not qualified for GBC. I've heard of a BPS Qualifying Exam. Can I give that after my Master's to acquire a GBC/ accreditation? I really don't want to take a conversion course.
Original post by AJaries

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the international GBC process, so I don't know. You would have to contact the BPS to see what they say
Reply 13
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the international GBC process, so I don't know. You would have to contact the BPS to see what they say

I shall do that. Thank you for helping me out.
Just one last question, you said Mphil wouldn't matter. Does that mean I can get through an Mphil in Clinical Psychology course without needing accreditation? (asking for a friend)

I know (and as you also mentioned) in order to working professional CP one must have a PsycD or PhD. I hope to find a solution to this accreditation issue. Thank you once again!
Original post by AJaries
I shall do that. Thank you for helping me out.
Just one last question, you said Mphil wouldn't matter. Does that mean I can get through an Mphil in Clinical Psychology course without needing accreditation? (asking for a friend)

I know (and as you also mentioned) in order to working professional CP one must have a PsycD or PhD. I hope to find a solution to this accreditation issue. Thank you once again!

An MPhil is an academic qualification (below a traditional PhD), so no, it won't necessarily need to be an accredited course.

To be a CP you need the specific clinical psychology doctorate. This may be called something different depending on the uni, but is usually something like DClinPsy, rather than PhD
Reply 15
Okay I understand now. Thank you for clearing my doubts!
Reply 16
An MPhil is an academic qualification (below a traditional PhD), so no, it won't necessarily need to be an accredited course.

To be a CP you need the specific clinical psychology doctorate. This may be called something different depending on the uni, but is usually something like DClinPsy, rather than PhD

Okay I understand now. Thank you for clearing my doubts! (Sorry for the erorrs while replying, I'm new to the sjte and its ways)
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I don't have an undergrad degree in psychology however, I've done Msc. counselling psychology in India. I would like to become a clinical psychologist so would I have to do a conversion course, a masters in clinical psych and then DclinPsy or what is the right step? I was not able to find any accredited Msc. clinical psych programmes in uk as well.. I am so confused at this point. Please advise. thank you
Original post by safwa_mina
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I don't have an undergrad degree in psychology however, I've done Msc. counselling psychology in India. I would like to become a clinical psychologist so would I have to do a conversion course, a masters in clinical psych and then DclinPsy or what is the right step? I was not able to find any accredited Msc. clinical psych programmes in uk as well.. I am so confused at this point. Please advise. thank you

If you don't have GBC then you'd have to complete a conversion course
Reply 19
Original post by AJaries

Hello there!

It has been 4 years since you made this query but it is exactly like my situation right now. I got admitted to Mac clinical psychology without accreditation. I am from India with bachelors in psychology. I don’t know whether doing msc clinical psychology is the right thing. I too want to follow the path to Clinical psychology later or atleast assistant psychology.

If you see this, can you please please reply and share your experience because I am in a complete confusion and disaster.

Thank you!

Latest