The Student Room Group

Help deciding firm choice

SO im apply to do Biology at UNI, and at Warwick I was offered a place for the Msci (AAB Offer) and at SOuthampton I was offered a place for the Bsc (AAB Offer) ..i Dont know which would be better to go to as I loved both places...Any one have any opinions and offer advice on choosing between the two. ALSO does the accreditation actually help when finding jobs?
Accreditation by who? If it's RSB it makes no difference. Pick the more interesting course.
Original post by dvbuosn
SO im apply to do Biology at UNI, and at Warwick I was offered a place for the Msci (AAB Offer) and at SOuthampton I was offered a place for the Bsc (AAB Offer) ..i Dont know which would be better to go to as I loved both places...Any one have any opinions and offer advice on choosing between the two. ALSO does the accreditation actually help when finding jobs?
Reply 2
Yeah its by the RSB..oh ok why does it not matter then? I thought that the accreditation provided more job opportunities??
Original post by alleycat393
Accreditation by who? If it's RSB it makes no difference. Pick the more interesting course.
Original post by dvbuosn
Yeah its by the RSB..oh ok why does it not matter then? I thought that the accreditation provided more job opportunities??

For some accreditation/career combinations it does, such as IBMS accreditation being one of the requirements to seeking HCPC registration as a Biomedical Scientist, but in science this is pretty much the only one.
Original post by dvbuosn

there is no such thing as accreditation for biology degrees lol. Warwick is the better uni in general but Southampton's Biol department blows it out of the water.

the most important thing for jobs with a biology degree is lots and lots of related and non-related work experience. without this (presuming you won't go down the PhD route) your biology degree is half useless.

do the BSc because you can do a Masters degree after in something really specific

- biology graduate from st andrews
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dvbuosn

Employers don’t care about this at all. It was a money making thing.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
there is no such thing as accreditation for biology degrees lol. Warwick is the better uni in general but Southampton's Biol department blows it out of the water.

the most important thing for jobs with a biology degree is lots and lots of related and non-related work experience. without this (presuming you won't go down the PhD route) your biology degree is half useless.

do the BSc because you can do a Masters degree after in something really specific

As previously stated, the Royal Society of Biology accredit Biology degrees.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
As previously stated, the Royal Society of Biology accredit Biology degrees.

they can accredit whatever the hell they like, it is not consequential for the practise of biology or legitimacy of biology degrees.
Which was said further up the thread by myself and others, but you said nobody accredits Biology degrees.
they can accredit whatever the hell they like, it is not consequential for the practise of biology or legitimacy of biology degrees.
Which was said further up the thread by myself and others, but you said nobody accredits Biology degrees.

nobody accredits Biology degrees in any meaningful capacity. the Marxist Union of Transport Workers could say that they accredit Economics degrees and it wouldn't serve a purpose to anyone else.
nobody accredits Biology degrees in any meaningful capacity. the Marxist Union of Transport Workers could say that they accredit Economics degrees and it wouldn't serve a purpose to anyone else.

You didn't say nobody accredits Biology degrees in any meaningful capacity though did you?

You've disagreed with me and then agreed with me. Fair enough.
You didn't say nobody accredits Biology degrees in any meaningful capacity though did you?

You've disagreed with me and then agreed with me. Fair enough.

Don't be pedantic. Nobody accredits Biology degrees as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 12
Oh ok thanks for the advice!
Im planning to go onto either do the physician associate programme afterwards or do the NHS STP .. so would you say that Southampton is a better option??

Don't be pedantic. Nobody accredits Biology degrees as far as I'm concerned.

It's not pedantic, it's factual. The RSB accredit Biology degree's. I'm talking fact you're talking opinion. You're stating that nobody worthwhile accredits them, that's fair enough you're entitled to your opinion, but I answered the thread with fact not opinion. The RSB do accredit Biology degree's, your opinion does not change that albeit you entitled to an opinion on RSB accreditation, but the fact you have one at all on it shows it does exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending