The Student Room Group

Im Stressing :(- So much - ): Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really stressing so much, what should i do?
I have been crying at night, as i think im not revising to my full potential!
What should i do?
How should i calm myself down?
I have so much pressure of achieving high grades, that i just physically cant cope.
Pressure of family and friends!
Plus, my friends dont feel the same way as me, or at least dont show nay signs of stress/pressure.
I revise for so long, at least 5 to 6 hours each day and i feel like nothing going in. I have been started to get some sharp pains in the back of my head because of my stress levels going way too high.
Please help!
Reply 1
Relax. Take a deep breath.

That much revision is unnecessary especially if none of it is going in! You need to spend some time organising yourself before you go insane.

Firstly look at your week. Find the times where you could slot some revision in. Arrange a detailed timetable of when you will revise what. Remember to include plenty of breaks. Never revise for more than 25 minutes in one chunk, make sure you take at least a 10 minute break in between and in that time grab something to eat or at least shift your focus onto something not study related.

Try to figure out the best revision method for u. There are plenty of ways to revise! You should spend some time researching how to revise effectively.

Honestly it’s better to revise consistently and intensively instead of sitting and blindly looking at a textbook.

As for your stress, try meditation. There are a load of app or even YouTube. Search for mediation and give it a try. It can help reduce stress and increase brain function.

Finally don’t overdo it as that’s not going to help you at all.

Good luck! Hope I helped a little at least.
I have tried a lot to create a timetable and just go of that.
But i just cant. Some days i just go off on a tangent and revise for each a level for atleast 2-3 solid hours of revision.
Reply 3
Stick to what I said 25 minute chunks, a break and then some more. You need to adapt your timetable and stick to it. If you go of on tangents then you only have yourself to blame as you didn’t stick to the plan
my life has been going downhill towards my studies. I have always been a competitive type of person. Dont usually like to do bad in my subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by Aadilkharl123
my life has been going downhill towards my studies. I have always been a competitive type of person. Dont usually like to do bad in my subjects.

Well that’s a good thing! Try some meditation get some motivation and do as I said and you won’t regret it
Doing 4 a levels is actually very hard right now for me. And i do honestly know now why i should have not picked 4. I think i was over confident. But i am in now. This year i have my final exams and im not ready. I didnt start revising late, started in September.
I think its all going to fast, thats why i have been putting in lot of hours of revision.
Book a massage
Reply 8
Original post by Aadilkharl123
I have tried a lot to create a timetable and just go of that.
But i just cant. Some days i just go off on a tangent and revise for each a level for atleast 2-3 solid hours of revision.

That's fine. Not everyone needs a timetable. This is just the way you're inclined to revise, so you should fit your work around how you are, rather than try to reshape your whole behaviour based on what's apparently good.
But if you do find yourself working for long periods of time, do use the pomodoro method so you don't get tired out.
You already have the willpower to set aside hours to revise. My advice is you hold back on that. If something doesn't work for you, then you don't need to do it.

So spend a good few minutes just thinking. Think, in your head, long and hard about what specifically needs to be done. There's two ways in which you can go about planning things.

The first is the natural method. You start off with: what's the vision? what's the goal here and why?
The goal is good A-level results, right? So you can get into your top choice uni or just whatever, have the satisfaction of pushing yourself and it paying off.
So that's when you need to start thinking about how you do it. Spend some time just looking at ways to revise. I've just had a look and you do quite a variety of subjects, so ask around, find what works for each (for maths, I can tell you right away that practice questions are the way to go).
Then hone in. What specific topics? Some parts of each subject will go better than others, and it's important that your performance is consistent in each subject.
Then once you establish that, that's when you think about organising yourself.
Then and only then, once all the above is sorted out, should you start actually doing the revision. That's when you have a clear idea of why, what, and how.
That's the healthy way to plan on achieving a goal

The problem for you is, you've gone in the opposite direction entirely. When faced with an imminent deadline, pressure from family and friends, it goes like this:
(and this is the unhealthy method that doesn't work, just to be absolutely clear)
Action! everyone else is working so quick get the pens and books out and work. Boom, sudden urgency. Not good.
But then you need to get organised, find some timetables, make a dank colourful calendar with highlighters so you know when to do the work.
But then, some topics are worse than others despite all the work. That adds to the stress.
And then, after all that only then you end up wondering about how to actually go about revising, the proper way to do it, and it's all the more daunting and confusing because you think you've wasted time. It sucks.

So this is why you need to take a step back. Put the work off for a bit and actually find your bearings. It seems as if you're revising so much that you've gotten yourself completely lost.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Quick Reply

Latest