The Student Room Group

This journalist was investigated by police for 'misgendering' someone...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
Stories like this make me thankful the police are underfunded.

Stories like this make me question journalism and its integrity.
Finally I have seen the tweets. Surprised that the news companies aren't reporting it the way it is.
Also, what basis did she have for the tweets. They make no sense.
Original post by VictiniCup
Finally I have seen the tweets. Surprised that the news companies aren't reporting it the way it is.
Also, what basis did she have for the tweets. They make no sense.

She is a hardcore Christian, they often don't make sense.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So, just to establish, they're not being investigated for misgendering. They're being investigated for defamation having made allegations of child abuse over a child that happens to be trans. Just as others who claim to have been investigated for misgendering actually got investigated due to allegations of harassment made against them.

Defamation is a civil action, not a criminal one. It isn't something police should really be investigating.

Also, it can be the misgendering itself that constitutes the alleged harassment sometimes. I've seen some of these "harassment" cases and a lot just look like your standard sh*t-flinging on the internet, but with the wrong pronouns.
Stiff Little Fingers

So, just to establish, they're not being investigated for misgendering. They're being investigated for defamation having made allegations of child abuse over a child that happens to be trans. Just as others who claim to have been investigated for misgendering actually got investigated due to allegations of harassment made against them.

Yea, because TVAs don't ever call the police on people :rolleyes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6687123/Mother-arrested-children-calling-transgender-woman-man.html

Mother, 38, is arrested in front of her children and locked in a cell for seven HOURS after calling a transgender woman a man on Twitter
(edited 5 years ago)
What is libelous about reporting the truth about Susie Green? She took her son to another country to get castrated, because it's illegal in the UK. That is a fact. It might only be libel in Green's eyes because she knows it makes her look like a piece of ****. But it doesn't make it untrue.

Imagine a country where pedophelia was legal, would you say it's ok for pedos to go there? Because that's the defence TVAs give - "it was legal in Thailand" (at the time, they made it illegal now).

Mermaids is an awful organization that is absolutely dangerous to children. It promotes an ideology that leads to child abuse.

Original post by Dez
Yeah that journalist is obviously rather downplaying what she originally wrote. And "forgetting" it is certainly not an excuse, nor is deleting the tweets after they got sent.

As for the contents though, doesn't seem to be anything particularly special going on here. Just the usual bigotry and ignorant BS from an uninformed nobody. Unpleasant, perhaps borderline libellous, but probably not illegal.

Of course, if a complaint has been made to the police then they have to investigate, and from that investigation decide if the law has been broken or not. That's their job.
So you are happy to live in a world where people who don't like each other monitor what the other person writes, says, and does, and then contacts the police with "I believe a crime may have been committed, could you look into it"? That is what you advocate?
Original post by 999tigger
Because someone reported it and they believe a crime had been committed.
The police are under a duty to investigate, that is what the police do.
Why are you unable to comprehend that?
Original post by yudothis
So you are happy to live in a world where people who don't like each other monitor what the other person writes, says, and does, and then contacts the police with "I believe a crime may have been committed, could you look into it"? That is what you advocate?

That is what happens. People report crimes.
Do you live in a world where police ignore reports of crimes?
I live in a world where I would like to see people punished for hounding others by sending the police on them.

Btw, you support swatting then?
That is what happens. People report crimes.
Do you live in a world where police ignore reports of crimes?
I live in a world where I would like to see people punished for hounding others by sending the police on them.

Btw, you support swatting then?

There is no evidence of hounding. If there was then she could be prosecuted for harassment.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6687123/Mother-arrested-children-calling-transgender-woman-man.html

Just a coincidence that TVAs keep on sending the police on people.

Nice dodge btw, do you support swatting? It's just the police following up on information from the public, isn't it?
There is no evidence of hounding. If there was then she could be prosecuted for harassment.

Just a coincidence that TVAs keep on sending the police on people.

Nice dodge btw, do you support swatting? It's just the police following up on information from the public, isn't it?

Then if you have evidence there is some form of illegal activity going on you should report it yourself.

The internet says = the action or practice of making a hoax call to the emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address.

Its an American offence is it not?

I believe depending on the circumstances it could amount to stalking or harassment.
You have to have evidence of it being such a crime.

Its bizarre you ask me whether I support stalking or harassment.
Reporting someone for where you had genuine cause would not be.
It is bizarre that I ask you whether you support an extreme case of reporting a supposed crime, just after you talked about the police "having a duty to investigate all crime reported to them"?

What is bizarre is that you think you can talk yourself out of this one.
Then if you have evidence there is some form of illegal activity going on you should report it yourself.

The internet says = the action or practice of making a hoax call to the emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address.

Its an American offence is it not?

I believe depending on the circumstances it could amount to stalking or harassment.
You have to have evidence of it being such a crime.

Its bizarre you ask me whether I support stalking or harassment.
Reporting someone for where you had genuine cause would not be.
It is bizarre that I ask you whether you support an extreme case of reporting a supposed crime, just after you talked about the police "having a duty to investigate all crime reported to them"?

What is bizarre is that you think you can talk yourself out of this one.

Reporting a crime to the police = legal.
Reporting a hoax crime with malicious intent = illegal

What is so difficult for you to undertsand about that. Legal is different from illegal.
Is misgendering a crime? Hint, it's not. Is telling the truth about Green going to Thailand to castrate her son and calling that child abuse a crime? Hint, it's not.

Because as it looks to me, what TVAs do, is your second line. So thanks for playing, enjoy your night.
Reporting a crime to the police = legal.
Reporting a hoax crime with malicious intent = illegal

What is so difficult for you to undertsand about that. Legal is different from illegal.
Is misgendering a crime? Hint, it's not. Is telling the truth about Green going to Thailand to castrate her son and calling that child abuse a crime? Hint, it's not.

Because as it looks to me, what TVAs do, is your second line. So thanks for playing, enjoy your night.

Its up to the police to investigate. You are just being quite weird.
Really?

So you think it's up to the police to investigate a possible person with gun, with guns themselves, at face value, aka swatting? But let me guess, you will deny this, yet again. You seem schizo, and I am bored of this. Bye.
Its up to the police to investigate. You are just being quite weird.
Really?

So you think it's up to the police to investigate a possible person with gun, with guns themselves, at face value, aka swatting? But let me guess, you will deny this, yet again. You seem schizo, and I am bored of this. Bye.

If its reported to them then ofc they will investigate.
Ive already explained the definition of swatting and that if the original call was found to be a hoax then that would be illegal and the person who made the call would be liable for investigation and prosecution if proven. You seem to have some difficulty understanding the difference between legal and illegal. Go and read up on what it actually is.
What if it wasn't a hoax but someone made an honest mistake? Plus, given that you can call from anywhere in the world via the internet, they never find the person who called in the first place.

But hey, you think the police should investigate tweets, but not reports of someone with a gun. Good on you. What you don't say to keep your argument alive.

If its reported to them then ofc they will investigate.
Ive already explained the definition of swatting and that if the original call was found to be a hoax then that would be illegal and the person who made the call would be liable for investigation and prosecution if proven. You seem to have some difficulty understanding the difference between legal and illegal. Go and read up on what it actually is.
What if it wasn't a hoax but someone made an honest mistake? Plus, given that you can call from anywhere in the world via the internet, they never find the person who called in the first place.

But hey, you think the police should investigate tweets, but not reports of someone with a gun. Good on you. What you don't say to keep your argument alive.

Then they would take all that into account because that is what the police and legal professionals do.

Nope there you go again showing your own ignorance and trying to say things I have never said.

Lets state it one last time although you keep saying bye, but never go away. I was minding my own business and you are the one that sought me out. I'd much rather you hadnt.

1. If a police get a call about a possible crime they investigate. If they find there was some merit to that claim they can then see if a crime has been committed and prosecute.

2. If on the other hand they find it was a hoax or a malicious hoax, then they can prosecute the caller.

3. If for some reason they cant trace the caller then they can only keep that information on file and collect the evidence till they eventually identify who it is and then they can investigate fiurther for things like harassment and stalking. As far as im aware there is no crime of swatting in UK law because that is an americanism. Feel free to point it out and link which statute it is in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending