The Student Room Group

Why do people hate KPOP?

I was honestly wondering why is there such hatred towards KPOP or to people that like KPOP. I saw many people saying things like “I don’t like KPOP because:
1. They’re gay
2. *insert racist joke about Asians”
3. Their fandom is so toxic
4. Fake
5. Slave contracts
6. Sh*t music ca
I wanted to know why you like or don’t like KPOP or their fandom as I understand how KPOP can be not everyone’s cup of tea but the amoxicillin hatred towards a music genre... where does it come from?

Scroll to see replies

I was meant to write “the amount” not amoxicillin idk how autocorrect got that 😂
Reply 2
I don't mind some kpop songs, but a lot of the groups feel and sound like copies of eachother. Main turn off for kpop is the culture/bandwagon and fans. Most of the kpop fans I've met are also into yaoi (so toxic) and used to be weeaboos. I doubt a lot of these fans will still be fans after the hype of bts dies down.
All I know is that Korean airlines hate the fans to the point of changing their policies due to certain actions.
I agree! I don't actually dislike Kpop, I just find the fans so toxic that it's quite off-putting...
Original post by elb0w
I don't mind some kpop songs, but a lot of the groups feel and sound like copies of eachother. Main turn off for kpop is the culture/bandwagon and fans. Most of the kpop fans I've met are also into yaoi (so toxic) and used to be weeaboos. I doubt a lot of these fans will still be fans after the hype of bts dies down.
My dislike for it comes from the cult like behaviour of the fans and the fact it seems to infest this forum's music section to the point of spam, just look how many 'K Pop dance group' threads there are, it's genuinely bizarre. K Pop fans are like swarms of obnoxious locusts, and the whole thing is such a ****ing fad it is really easy to develop a dislike for it.
I don’t hate k pop but I literally can’t hear a difference between their songs because all their songs are so similar
The main thing though is that it’s just overrated tbh
Original post by Snowgail
I agree! I don't actually dislike Kpop, I just find the fans so toxic that it's quite off-putting...

Original post by Pachuco
My dislike for it comes from the cult like behaviour of the fans and the fact it seems to infest this forum's music section to the point of spam, just look how many 'K Pop dance group' threads there are, it's genuinely bizarre. K Pop fans are like swarms of obnoxious locusts, and the whole thing is such a ****ing fad it is really easy to develop a dislike for it.

Original post by anonymous.2000
I don’t hate k pop but I literally can’t hear a difference between their songs because all their songs are so similar
The main thing though is that it’s just overrated tbh

Guys, you’re all entitled to your own opinions, but just hear me out for a sec:

- The fans themselves aren’t “KPop”. Also, it’s not everyone that’s like that. There’s a lot of non-toxic fans. We don’t welcome the toxic people into our fandoms. They’re self proclaimed.
- The music is going to sounds similar because it’s one genre. Just like how Jazz artists sounds similar or RnB artists sounds similar. If you listen to songs individually rather than viewing all of it as a whole, you’ll see the individuality in them.
- I personally don’t believe any artist, KPop or not is overrated. Their fan bases are huge but it’s because hard work got them there. Many KPop idols have to go through years of hard work before they even debut.

Thank you for not bashing on KPop though 😂😂❤️
I don't hate kpop but the fandoms are so toxic. I only really like blackpink tbf
Humans often attack what they don't understand.
Original post by nikola_ferdek
I was honestly wondering why is there such hatred towards KPOP or to people that like KPOP. I saw many people saying things like “I don’t like KPOP because:
1. They’re gay
4. Fake
5. Slave contracts
6. Sh*t music ca
I wanted to know why you like or don’t like KPOP or their fandom as I understand how KPOP can be not everyone’s cup of tea but the amoxicillin hatred towards a music genre... where does it come from?

Personally not a big fan of 'mainstream' k-pop (artists like twice, exo, blackpink, red velvet, nct etc) just because I'm not a fan of the style of music that many of them produce. A lot of them these days are making hip-hop-esque music but to me they can sound a bit overproduced and just too much? And the sweet bubbly-pop concepts I've never liked. That's all down to my personal taste. though. The only kpop group I like more than 1 or 2 songs from is bts but that's because I think they have quite a unique style. I like their more chill songs and their purely rap songs in particular.

I do listen to a lot of Korean music but it tends to be more r&b/alternative hip-hop (calling it that makes me cringe but its what music critics call it unfortunately). I generally steer away from what tends to be in the mainstream simply because it's not the style I like to listen to. Not to say it's bad or anything like that - I really admire the performance and skill of a lot of those artists but I need to be able to enjoy listening to the music when I'm not watching them dance in fancy outfits too.
Reply 11
1. They’re gay
4. Fake
5. Slave contracts
6. Sh*t music ca

I hate Kpop and the industry....but love MAMAMOO
Because every day there is a thread like 'join my K-pop London dance crew xxxoxoxox uwu'
It's just spam and annoying especially considering there is already a megathread for it these other threads aren't needed
I don't like it because i don't understand what they're saying, so the lyrics don't mean anything to me
The stans on Twitter are beyond annoying and cringy.

Some of it's okay. I prefer other Korean artists like Dean though.
Original post by Iram.Q
I don't like it because i don't understand what they're saying, so the lyrics don't mean anything to me

Bet you bopped to Despacito though.
Most people feel completely indifferent to K-POP itself but absolutely hate the fandom.
It's the same sort of thign as Justin Bieber or One direction back in the day. Like their music is completely average but their fanbase is annoying
1. They’re gay
4. Fake
5. Slave contracts
6. Sh*t music ca

I'm mainly against it because of slave contracts. If there is no demand then supply should drop which hopefully should stop more people from being exploited.
Reply 18
Kpop is great deal with it😝
Because, as somebody whose chief pastime of the last seventeen years has been music—tirelessly sought out, fervently appreciated, and assiduously curated from the unassailably, incomprehensibly vast multiiverse of potential listening material—I find that I've an inherently low tolerance threshold for derivative pap.

Anyhow, here follows an example of good pop-music for your comparative elucidation;

[video="youtube;lTn22bsCZJ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTn22bsCZJ0[/video]

Take it or leave it.

Latest