The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I personally think schools banning forms of individual expression in general is wrong. (aka no colourful hair etc.) Kids should be allowed to express their individuality whilst they’re still young before they potentially can’t due to requirements in a job. There’s really no reason to ban piercings outfight. As long as you can take it out for PE I don’t see the issue.
I would have thought that for girls, a single piercing in each ear isn’t such a big deal.

But I think it’s fine for them to ban other visible piercings besides that, in order to maintain an environment that is formal and professional, where you’re primarily there to study and learn rather than look cool in front of your little friends
Original post by tazarooni89
I would have thought that for girls, a single piercing in each ear isn’t such a big deal.

But I think it’s fine for them to ban other visible piercings besides that, in order to maintain an environment that is formal and professional, where you’re primarily there to study and learn rather than look cool in front of your little friends

Nope! We think there was an incident where someone's piercing fell out or something and someone stood on it but, ever way, it seems abit harsh to completely ban them!
how can they check that you do not have a piercing in a place which is not normally visible ?

:holmes:
Reply 5
I think that's so inconsiderate, piercings are a long term commitment and can have long healing periods so if you had to take them out for school the piercing would close back up or get infected if youre removing and inserting the jewellery multiple times a day. How you look outside of school shouldn't have to revolve around school rules
Original post by the bear
how can they check that you do not have a piercing in a place which is not normally visible ?

:holmes:

We have teachers in the changing rooms so if they spot anything they'll take it off you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xo416
I think that's so inconsiderate, piercings are a long term commitment and can have long healing periods so if you had to take them out for school the piercing would close back up or get infected if youre removing and inserting the jewellery multiple times a day. How you look outside of school shouldn't have to revolve around school rules

Apparently we can have them pierced until May (so just wear plasters for the 6 weeks) and then after that you'll probs get iso for having them pierced
Original post by pemzy
We have teachers in the changing rooms so if they spot anything they'll take it off you

ewww
I don’t think this is right at all, I think piercings are fine and it’s about expression and individuality. Having a piercing doesn’t distract you from working hard in school.
I think it’s ridiculous, school nowadays worrying about the wrong things!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by the bear
ewww

Yea, we're not too keen on it ever but they just chat to the students who are dressed, take the register and hand out spare kit
Reply 11
Original post by pemzy
So, my school just banned all piercings. Not just In pe, but no piercings at all. If you're seen with them they'll be taken, do you think this is right?

Also no plasters over piercings

If there was one way to make sure people will have piercings it was banning them.
small ones are ok but if you look like a ... I think schools should RIP them off
An ear piercing is fine I think. Nose or lip piercing make people look like idiots, non-natural hair colours are horrendously unprofessional.
No! I don’t think so? My school band piercing too. But tbh I don’t see piercing did what affect on study. It is just as norm as like you wearing a necklace/ bracelet...
Original post by Andrew97
An ear piercing is fine I think. Nose or lip piercing make people look like idiots, non-natural hair colours are horrendously unprofessional.

We've had a lot of y8s and y9s giving themselves nose piercings, lip piercings and belly button piercings so that could also be a reason behind it
Original post by rainbow999
No! I don’t think so? My school band piercing too. But tbh I don’t see piercing did what affect on study. It is just as norm as like you wearing a necklace/ bracelet...

Were all assuming it's more about health and safety rather than professionalism and necklaces, rings etc are banned already
(edited 5 years ago)
A single one on the ear for women is fine but anything bar that looks unprofessional and awful, same with unnatural hair colours
Some people have ear piercings since they were born as this is what some cultures do. Why should these cultures not be able to express themselves? And considering how multicultural Britain is today, and there are many people fleeing from wars in the countries I was talking about.

But of course an earring is going to ruin your education and you will fail life(!), same as nail polish really😒😒
There’s no need to ban piercings outfight. Limit it to 2 piercings is fine. There should be a limit on them to stop people going to school with loads. But banning them outright is a bit harsh. As long as you can take it out for PE I don’t see the issue.

Latest

Trending

Trending