The Student Room Group

Is the 1950s/60s in the 19th century or 20th so confused!!

This is quite stupid and google is confusing me
20th century.

all years beginning with 19__ are in the 20th century, apart from 1900 which is the last year of the 19th century.
Original post by TellMeWhy123232
This is quite stupid and google is confusing me

20th century.

Think of it this way: the 1st century AD began from the year 0AD. Year 50 (or 0050) was in the first century. The first century hadn't passed until the end of year 100. If you still don't understand it after that, there's no hope for you..
Original post by insouciancedward
20th century.

Think of it this way: the 1st century AD began from the year 0AD. Year 50 (or 0050) was in the first century. The first century hadn't passed until the end of year 100. If you still don't understand it after that, there's no hope for you..

:smile: thanks
Original post by insouciancedward
20th century.

there is no need to be rude.
Original post by the bear
there is no need to be rude.

very TSR-esque unfortunately sometimes to put people down, stumped me for a long time when I was younger too though haha
Original post by the bear
20th century.

all years beginning with 19__ are in the 20th century, apart from 1900 which is the last year of the 19th century.

thank you! x
the 1900s are 20th century. the way to remember it is the century is one less number than the first two numbers of the year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending