The Student Room Group

nothing is going right

I am 17, I should be enjoying life and having fun instead I can feel myself becoming more and more unhappy with life. I cannot think of a single aspect of my life that is good

I know I am capable of doing well with my A levels but I have 0 motivation to revise because I have no goals or aspirations in life. I have no clue what career I want or university course I want to take

My parents are divorced and I live in a tiny house with my mum most of the time. She is very demotivating because she spends half her time on the sofa. Nothing ever gets done in this house, my curtain pole broke months ago and I still have bin bags covering the windows with no sign of her getting anyone jn to fix it. She broke the shower the other day so I doubt I'll be able to wash my hair properly for a few months

I can't stay with my dad anymore because my 'step mum' clearly has a disliking towards me. With her there is one rule for me and one rule for everyone else and she only ever talks to me if it's to have a go, because of this when I do go to my dads I hardly ever leave my room because of how she judges me. This has been going on for years and I finally told my dad the other day, instead of supporting me and talking to her he essentially told me to deal with it.

I hardly have any friends anymore, most of my old close friends have new friends and hardly have any time for me anymore. I have lost so many close friends in my life and nearly every time it was because they found other people to be friends with.

I don't know what to do anymore everything is messed up and I feel broken. I just need something to go right but looking at how my life has been so far that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I need the motivation to revise but with all this going on I just have none. I'm considering seeing the counsellor at college but the idea of it and knowing that college knows I'm struggling terrifies me.

advice?
part time job? You can get one without qualifications. Or volunteer, it just sounds like you need a break from the environment you're in right now.
Reply 2
Original post by hello_shawn
part time job? You can get one without qualifications. Or volunteer, it just sounds like you need a break from the environment you're in right now.

Yeah I have a part time job I enjoy that because it's mostly people my age but it's only 4 hours per week. My exams to get me into year 13 are in 30 days and I've hardly done anything. I am angry with myself because I know I am capable of getting A's
Little do you know the position your In is quite amazing. I would love to be able to a few years back to your situation .When I was your age I was in very much a similar situation separated parents at home alone with a mum who had worked her whole life to provide for me and was growing tired. What I say to you is appreciate the basis your parents have provided and go for it! Millions of children around the world would give there left arm to do a-levels in the UK. Now in terms of what you want to do. Look at what are you good at what natural abilities do you have? how are you wired... what things have you excelled at in school , What are your passions? and what opportunities do you have based on your a-levels? Try to have some idea based on that. Also do speak to a career advisor and speak to a counselor at your school. They will do a great job listening to you... they're not the same as parents or teachers their trained to care. In terms of friends don't worry you will have so many more opportunities to meet amazing people grow and change. Just focus on what would like to do. I'm a Christian so ill pray for you and you can feel free to pray to it does really help. Anyway all the best !
Original post by Admera
Yeah I have a part time job I enjoy that because it's mostly people my age but it's only 4 hours per week. My exams to get me into year 13 are in 30 days and I've hardly done anything. I am angry with myself because I know I am capable of getting A's

Holding on to that job and using it as stress relief helps. Just work as much as you can. Getting good grades should be a priority.
Reply 5
Original post by Christian James
Little do you know the position your In is quite amazing. I would love to be able to a few years back to your situation .When I was your age I was in very much a similar situation separated parents at home alone with a mum who had worked her whole life to provide for me and was growing tired. What I say to you is appreciate the basis your parents have provided and go for it! Millions of children around the world would give there left arm to do a-levels in the UK. Now in terms of what you want to do. Look at what are you good at what natural abilities do you have? how are you wired... what things have you excelled at in school , What are your passions? and what opportunities do you have based on your a-levels? Try to have some idea based on that. Also do speak to a career advisor and speak to a counselor at your school. They will do a great job listening to you... they're not the same as parents or teachers their trained to care. In terms of friends don't worry you will have so many more opportunities to meet amazing people grow and change. Just focus on what would like to do. I'm a Christian so ill pray for you and you can feel free to pray to it does really help. Anyway all the best !

Thank you for your response, I have tried to however nothing seems to stick out, ever since primary school I have been able to be average in every subject, I have been playing guitar since year 5 and music does appeal to me but that industry is incredibly hard and even harder without qualifications in music. I'm doing English lit, history and psychology currently. I booked a careers advice meeting earlier today and I am thinking about seeing a counsellor at college. I just feel my life has no direction at the moment, I really want to go to a Russel group university but I have no idea what I would do there and would be worried I'm wasting my time since I don't know what career I want to follow. Thank you for the advice and prayers
Reply 6
Original post by Professional G
Holding on to that job and using it as stress relief helps. Just work as much as you can. Getting good grades should be a priority.

Yeah it's hard to focus with everything else going on in my life
My mum is the same, regarding the sitting on the sofa comment and a lot of the time when I start a conversation with her, she engages begrudgingly.
Reply 8
Original post by Unexpectedly
My mum is the same, regarding the sitting on the sofa comment and a lot of the time when I start a conversation with her, she engages begrudgingly.

I'm sorry to hear that, what do you do to cope with it?
Original post by Admera
Yeah it's hard to focus with everything else going on in my life

Seeing how you are a bit unsure on what you wanna do in life, the career advice meeting will work a lot. As I said, getting grades should be the priority but keep your career options in mind.

AAA is generally the highest entry requirement and it’s mostly gonna be Oxbridge asking for those grades. Other unis including Russell groups ask for AAB or ABB. Don’t feel pressured to get the highest grades possible.

Good luck for your career meeting later.

As someone who was in your position two years ago, I wish you luck and feel free to PM me for more advice.
Original post by Admera
I'm sorry to hear that, what do you do to cope with it?

Play with the dog. :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Admera
I am 17, I should be enjoying life and having fun instead I can feel myself becoming more and more unhappy with life. I cannot think of a single aspect of my life that is good

I know I am capable of doing well with my A levels but I have 0 motivation to revise because I have no goals or aspirations in life. I have no clue what career I want or university course I want to take

My parents are divorced and I live in a tiny house with my mum most of the time. She is very demotivating because she spends half her time on the sofa. Nothing ever gets done in this house, my curtain pole broke months ago and I still have bin bags covering the windows with no sign of her getting anyone jn to fix it. She broke the shower the other day so I doubt I'll be able to wash my hair properly for a few months

I can't stay with my dad anymore because my 'step mum' clearly has a disliking towards me. With her there is one rule for me and one rule for everyone else and she only ever talks to me if it's to have a go, because of this when I do go to my dads I hardly ever leave my room because of how she judges me. This has been going on for years and I finally told my dad the other day, instead of supporting me and talking to her he essentially told me to deal with it.

I hardly have any friends anymore, most of my old close friends have new friends and hardly have any time for me anymore. I have lost so many close friends in my life and nearly every time it was because they found other people to be friends with.

I don't know what to do anymore everything is messed up and I feel broken. I just need something to go right but looking at how my life has been so far that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I need the motivation to revise but with all this going on I just have none. I'm considering seeing the counsellor at college but the idea of it and knowing that college knows I'm struggling terrifies me.

advice?

I can totally relate to u. My life is also messed up and just like u I feel broken. My teachers at school know and they have referred me to a counselor. I have had 2 sessions with her so far and it's OK, I just don't like the counselor. I think u should see the counselor at your college cuz at least u will have someone who will listen to u and help u through this. I personally think that if your college knows your struggling is a good thing cuz my school knows and so i get let off things and they know my reasons if i don't do well in something or if i'm upset. It's best that your college knows so that they can help u in every way as that is what they are there for. Trust me it is not bad if your college knows. I mean yeah i go to school and i'm only 15 but i'm sure that things aren't that different. I know what u r going through and i know that it is hard and painful but u got to be strong and know that it is only temporary even though right now it feels like it's forever as that is what i have been told.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T WORRY AS IT WILL GET BETTER OVER TIME.:smile:
Reply 12
My way of thinking is when you hit rock bottom the only way to go is up, so things will get better you will have rough patches but you will also have really good patches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending