The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Core Pure 1 - 3rd June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Is the paper reference for this exam 9FM0/01?
Original post by GreenDeath
Is the paper reference for this exam 9FM0/01?

Yeah I think so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Summary of content mapping:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
I did a core pure paper and they managed to add some damn proof by induction of recursive sequences into it totally off spec. It makes me a little worried for the real paper.
I did a core pure paper and they managed to add some damn proof by induction of recursive sequences into it totally off spec. It makes me a little worried for the real paper.

It's not off spec - the spec says induction to include sums/matrices/divisibility. This means that they can extend it to unseen contexts as they have in specimens. You're not supposed to be able to prepare for this sort of question, it's testing your ability to handle unseen material and apply what you've learnt. (also in specimen papers has been binomial distributions in core pure, recurrence relations as you say, etc.) Any knowledge beyond the spec will of course be provided, and you can probably expect them to be easier/have more guidance. It seems scary, I get you, but the grade boundaries will reflect the change in difficulty. (it avoids absurdly repetitive papers which led to the high boundaries the old spec hit)
(edited 5 years ago)
OK true but the proof required to know to test both case n=1 and n=2 which is not something I would have ever been able to spot, but you are correct, for the most part the method is very similar and able for confident students but I think the examiners made a mistake when putting the question in but are not able to admit it.
OK true but the proof required to know to test both case n=1 and n=2 which is not something I would have ever been able to spot, but you are correct, for the most part the method is very similar and able for confident students but I think the examiners made a mistake when putting the question in but are not able to admit it.

Ah, that is true, but I think the bold is kind of the point. Specimen papers aren't really subject to the same scrutiny as live papers, (which have a length production cycle) so I guess some unrealistic questions might slip through. Again, the bright side of this is that the grade boundaries will be lower, allowing for more room for error, which you'd be hurt for on the old spec.
Regarding your third bullet under ‘New’ content, I can’t seem to find any reference to interestion of planes using matrices in the specification - where is it listed under if I may ask? Aside from that, thank you for this list!
Original post by _gcx
Summary of content mapping:

Spoiler

Original post by CandidateZero
Regarding your third bullet under ‘New’ content, I can’t seem to find any reference to interestion of planes using matrices in the specification - where is it listed under if I may ask? Aside from that, thank you for this list!

Ex 6F in the textbook, spec point 3.7/3.8, guess I should've been more general.
Wow a whole thread dedicated to one exam? I’m up for this though :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Pastelx
Wow a whole thread dedicated to one exam? I’m up for this though :smile:

If this surprises you then this is going to blow your mind :smile:

I'm assuming there will be a similar index for 2019 made at some point.

EDIT: See below.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek

A-level and AS-level Exam Discussions 2019 Hub Thread
GCSE Exam Discussions 2019 Hub Thread

GCSE and A-level Exam Discussions 2019 Section

:ninja:
Original post by Notnek

EDIT: See below.

:eek4:
Also what additional modules is everyone doing ?
Are people allowed to share locked papers? Also my modules are FP1 and FM1, what about you?
Reply 17
Are people allowed to share locked papers? Also my modules are FP1 and FM1, what about you?

Locked papers are protected by copyright laws and TSR does not allow for them to be posted :no:
Reply 18
are there even many locked papers?
i'm doing FS1 and D1
anyone found any particularly useful revision resources or techniques?
I’m doing d1 d2

Latest

Trending

Trending