The Student Room Group

I Feel Like I'm Not Learning Anything

I started university this year, coming straight from finishing my A-Levels and I feel as though I am learning nothing. In college, I learned so much and felt as though I was really furthering my education, but here, I feel like I've stagnated. I understand that the teaching format is different, but still, it feels like I am coming away from lectures with no new information that I have retained. I'm putting in extra work at home too but I don't feel as though it is sticking like it did in college. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the new format?
Original post by golden_oldie
I started university this year, coming straight from finishing my A-Levels and I feel as though I am learning nothing. In college, I learned so much and felt as though I was really furthering my education, but here, I feel like I've stagnated. I understand that the teaching format is different, but still, it feels like I am coming away from lectures with no new information that I have retained. I'm putting in extra work at home too but I don't feel as though it is sticking like it did in college. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the new format?

I guess it depends on what the 'extra work' you are doing after lectures actually consists of.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I guess it depends on what the 'extra work' you are doing after lectures actually consists of.

I'm going through both assigned reading and some suggested readings occasionally.
Second year is where it picks up. First year is getting everyone up to speed; you could very well already be at the level they want everyone to be at.
Is the issue that there is no new information in the lectures? Or is the issue one of there being new information but you just not retaining it?

If it's a retention issue, you might be struggling because you have to be more independent/self-directing with your studies.

In lectures, be as active as possible. Question everything. Not necessarily out loud, but at least on paper. Argue with theories you come across. Pick them apart. If something does interest you, follow it and pursue it as far as you can.

You could play the bibliography game. Every book you go through, check out the bibliography at the end and use that as a launch pad to find more material on the subject. Keep going down that rabbit hole - you'll be sure to find something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending