The Student Room Group

Got caught stealing at univeristy help?!

Im an 18 year old first year first semester Nursing university student. A few days ago I attempted to steal two drinks from a closed cafe in my university. I went and got two drinks form the refrigerator, then walked over to a bench to put put them into my bag. Then suddenly, this security guy comes up behind me and was ''hey, were you just over there''? I said no. At the end he wrote down my id number because I had to hand in my id card to the security guy and he confiscated my two drinks. Now a few days after I got an email saying I have a formal inquiry to discuss the incident at y university with the nursing coordinator, head of the school, associate professor and a minute taker present. I have this meeting on Friday, please help me I don't know what to do. Will I get removed from the course? Studying nursing is really important to me what should I do. All suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you for the replies guys. I posted the question twice by accident
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
...why exactly did you steal those drinks, though?
Reply 2
look, i can be a sympathetic person but honestly the only way i can see this is you're getting punished for something you....usually get punished for?

just explain why you tried to steal. thats honestly it. and theyll decide from there.
Reply 3
Original post by todorokishouto
...why exactly did you steal those drinks, though?

I was thirsty and didn't have water. I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist the urge. I think I might have got kleptomania or something related to my ocd
Well you’ll have to go to the meeting obviously.
We can’t tell you what will happen. It depends on the university procedures.
You should certainly apologise
Get some help. Speak to the student union to see if they can help
You’ve done something really stupid. Learn from it and hope it doesn’t cost you your course.
Ultimately, as a nurse you should be able to be trusted. You’ve broken that trust for an idiotic reason
Reply 5
Original post by FlowerSoul
I was thirsty and didn't have water. I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist the urge. I think I might have got kleptomania or something related to my ocd

if you have those diagnosed its probably a good idea to bring forms with that diagnosis. it doesnt excuse what you did, but its a form of explanation.

so you had no form of money on you at all?
That was such a dumb decision that I'd be worried if you were someone's nurse.

I MEAN DRINKS, not even food - can't even play the 'I was hungry' card. :|

Confess, apologize and hope.
Reply 7
Original post by todorokishouto
if you have those diagnosed its probably a good idea to bring forms with that diagnosis. it doesnt excuse what you did, but its a form of explanation.

so you had no form of money on you at all?

No I didn't, my mom helps me. I work occasionally as a babysitter but im trying to find a part time job
You’ve posted this twice so I’m not entirely sure I believe it
Original post by Sammylou40

Seems like an honest mistake. Don't judge so quickly hon.
1. You can go and see your student advisor at the SU.
2. https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/investigations

Contact the RCN helpline.
0345 772 6100.
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/legal-help

This is assuming you are a student member.
3. Imo you need to take this very seriously. Do 1 as at least you can get it off your chest and have someone listen.

You have 2 options.
i) Deny it or make up some story about paying bit it was closed and you were looking for somewhere to hand in the money etc. This would ofc be untrue and unless it was watertight the continued lying would create more trouble than the considerable amount you are already in.

You could only use this if your story was rock solid. As you werent even aware enough top notice the security guard I do not think this is an option and there are a couple of ways they can almost certainly prove you stole. You may also be on cctv or he obviously observed enough. You werent careful enough.

ii) Tell the truth and be contrite. You have to present this very carefully as a one off, not thinking, ashamed, grovel, realise your whole career is at stake. You are seeking to avoid them kicking you out. Maybe you had some depression or things going off at home?
You let yourself and the uni down, never done anything like it before etc, character references.

Nursing depends on you being a professional and part of that is about your honesty and integrity.
What happens if you lie to your colleagues? Someone could die?
What happens if you steal from patients or rugs from the NHS?

You made a bad decision under no pressure.

Do not lie, take it seriously, but do protect your interests and dont go over the top in apologising and making it seem worse but dont be in denial.

Ask them for another chance.

You are at very serious risk of being withdrawn due to dishonesty, for the sake of £1 and a very stupid decision. If you are then you are going to have to notch it down to experience and learn from it.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You can go and see your student advisor at the SU.
2. https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/investigations

Contact the RCN helpline.
0345 772 6100.
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/legal-help

This is assuming you are a student member.
3. Imo you need to take this very seriously. Do 1 as at least you can get it off your chest and have someone listen.

You have 2 options.
i) Deny it or make up some story about paying bit it was closed and you were looking for somewhere to hand in the money etc. This would ofc be untrue and unless it was watertight the continued lying would create more trouble than the considerable amount you are already in.

You could only use this if your story was rock solid. As you werent even aware enough top notice the security guard I do not think this is an option and there are a couple of ways they can almost certainly prove you stole. You may also be on cctv or he obviously observed enough. You werent careful enough.

ii) Tell the truth and be contrite. You have to present this very carefully as a one off, not thinking, ashamed, grovel, realise your whole career is at stake. You are seeking to avoid them kicking you out. Maybe you had some depression or things going off at home?
You let yourself and the uni down, never done anything like it before etc, character references.

Nursing depends on you being a professional and part of that is about your honesty and integrity.
What happens if you lie to your colleagues? Someone could die?
What happens if you steal from patients or rugs from the NHS?

You made a bad decision under no pressure.

Do not lie, take it seriously, but do protect your interests and dont go over the top in apologising and making it seem worse but dont be in denial.

Ask them for another chance.

You are at very serious risk of being withdrawn due to dishonesty, for the sake of £1 and a very stupid decision. If you are then you are going to have to notch it down to experience and learn from it.

you said it better than i could honestly.
I gave my advice on the other thread.
It wasn’t an honest mistake though was it? Entirely dishonest and with apparently no mitigating circumstances.
As a retired band 6 staff nurse I’m not sure I want sticky fingers in my team

Oh no no. You completely mistook me as well. Not defending OP's stealing at all. I was talking about posting twice. OP seems new to TSR, so he could have posted twice by mistake.
Original post by batter mix
Oh no no. You completely mistook me as well. Not defending OP's stealing at all. I was talking about posting twice. OP seems new to TSR, so he could have posted twice by mistake.

yeah, even as a regular here sometimes internet goes boing and i end up with duplicates.

I didnt see the other one. Nothing surprises me. the situation is so dumb have given it the benefit of the doubt. From the posts I answer then I get the feeling nursing is the least tolerant/ sympathetic of all courses when it comes to disciplinary and they have no problem withdrawing a student, because its about much more than 2 cans of pop.

Most other courses a final warning.
Fair enough 👍

Edit. Got different titles
Original post by batter mix
(edited 5 years ago)
Why did you take two drinks?
Does sound a bit like yr screwed, I understand nursing/med students get held to a higher level of integrity, who would now want to trust you around medications or patients possessions?

They won't give a crap about the drinks but the reason they are taking it so seriously is to explore why you opportunistically stole something.
You can probably wave goodbye to your nursing career.
You were thirsty and didn’t have water? Ok, does your university not provide drinking water? Could you have not waited for the cafe to open and asked for tap water?

As has already been suggested, speak to the SU and the RCN/Unison if you’re a member to get support, however I dont think you’re going to have a positive outcome here. Trust is an important thing in nursing, you opportunistically stole from the cafe with no good reason, even if you say it’s related to your OCD, at the moment you can’t be trusted around patients.

Latest