The Student Room Group

IGCSE Certificate question

I intend to sit some IGCSEs as a private candidate.

If I do this, what will it say on the certificate? Will it say "International General Certificate Of Secondary Education", or will it say "Cambridge International Level 1/Level 2 Certificate"?
The L1/L2 certificates based on the IGCSE specifications are no longer accepted for maintained school Key Stage 4 performance indicators in England. Although they may still be offered currently, they are likely to be phased out.

Although I very much suspect that private candidates are automatically entered for IGCSE, check with your centre regarding your entry. The codes are different for IGCSE as opposed to L1/L2 certificates, so make sure you are entered for the one you want. It's up to you what sort of qualification you want.
Reply 2
Well the code for Geography IGCSE (0460) is the same code for the level 1/2 certificate, and on the IGCSE Geography syllabus it says this: "Version 4
This syllabus is regulated in England, Wales and
Northern Ireland as a Cambridge International
Level 1/Level 2 Certificate (QN: 500/5652/9)."

So does this mean it will say IGCSE on the certificate still?
Original post by _jarv_
Well the code for Geography IGCSE (0460) is the same code for the level 1/2 certificate, and on the IGCSE Geography syllabus it says this: "Version 4
This syllabus is regulated in England, Wales and
Northern Ireland as a Cambridge International
Level 1/Level 2 Certificate (QN: 500/5652/9)."

So does this mean it will say IGCSE on the certificate still?

It doesn't have that wording on the 2020 specification. Are you sitting the exam this summer?

I have a CIE IGCSE certificate in front of me. It says nothing at all about an Ofqual L1/2 regulated qualification. That must only be if you are entered through centre in the maintained sector.

If you are so concerned, the easiest thing would be to check with your centre.
Reply 4
Was that for an ofqual regulated subject?

I'm sitting the exams in November.
Original post by 学生の父
It doesn't have that wording on the 2020 specification. Are you sitting the exam this summer?

I have a CIE IGCSE certificate in front of me. It says nothing at all about an Ofqual L1/2 regulated qualification. That must only be if you are entered through centre in the maintained sector.

If you are so concerned, the easiest thing would be to check with your centre.
Original post by _jarv_
Was that for an ofqual regulated subject?

I'm sitting the exams in November.

No, it was English. That had lost Ofqual regulation by then. There is no mention of Ofqual on the certificate at all - it appears to be unregulated.

The very last CIE subjects are losing their KS4 performance measure status this June (Business Studies (0450), English as a Second Language (0511), Enterprise (0454), ICT (0417), Hindi as a Second Language (0549), Greek (0543), Mandarin Chinese (0547)).

Like I say, come November I think every syllabus will be unregulated.
Reply 6
Just been told by the exam board that they WILL say that stupid crap on the certificate. Guess I won't do it afterall then. Angry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
So to simplify this - an unregulated one will have "IGCSE" on the certificate?
Original post by 学生の父
No, it was English. That had lost Ofqual regulation by then. There is no mention of Ofqual on the certificate at all - it appears to be unregulated.

The very last CIE subjects are losing their KS4 performance measure status this June (Business Studies (0450), English as a Second Language (0511), Enterprise (0454), ICT (0417), Hindi as a Second Language (0549), Greek (0543), Mandarin Chinese (0547)).

Original post by _jarv_
So to simplify this - an unregulated one will have "IGCSE" on the certificate?

Yes.
Reply 9
Thanks.

Everything will be unregulated after November 2019, so I might do them Summer 2020.
Original post by 学生の父
Yes.
Reply 10
But then they still say 'r' in a circle next to the title on the syllabus, what does this R mean?
Reply 11
Anyone know what the 'R' means?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
For your English was it done at a school? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to make sense of it all in my head.
Original post by 学生の父

Original post by _jarv_
For your English was it done at a school? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to make sense of it all in my head.

Yes, at school.
i am taking english as a second language do you know what will it say on the certificate please? thanks
is it cie or edexcel?
edexcel (i think)
thank god someone is doing it too .. can you please help me with the writing part ? i have my exam on the 6th and im really bad at it.
Original post by shiona02
edexcel (i think)

Quick Reply

Latest