The Student Room Group

Italian bus driver takes 50 children hostage in bus he set on fire

All of the children on board a hijacked school bus that was set on fire in northern Italy have escaped unscathed. Police said the man who took the vehicle claimed he wanted migrant deaths at sea to come to an end.

A school bus driver on Wednesday allegedly held 51 children and their chaperones hostage on a bus in the northern Italian city San Donato Milanese before setting it on fire.

All of the children were rescued when the bus crashed following a police chase, allowing officers to force open the back door and help students off the bus, as the driver threatened suicide.

https://www.dw.com/en/italy-bus-driver-takes-51-kids-hostage-sets-vehicle-on-fire/a-47997654

The man was wanting raise awareness of the far-right government's policies having led to the deaths of many refugees in the mediterranean.

Obviously a very bad way to protest. But it did make me wonder, why are we suddenly not talking about the refugee crisis? It hasn't gone away - a lot of the reason it has slowed down is because we are paying Hitler-wannabe Erdogan to beat up Syrians trying to flee to Europe.
The deaths in the Med are sad, although blaming the government is short sighted. It happened before Lega and 5 star (which is left according to Italian poltics, 5 star that is).

The best way too stop people crossing is not to provide a taxi service but to rather discourage people from doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by AngeryPenguin

The man was wanting raise awareness of the far-right government's policies having led to the deaths of many refugees in the mediterranean.

It is below the belt to charge them with murderous intentions, the policy of accepting every boat is much more of a contributory factor to those deaths. It's like saying the EU are responsible for them, with their policy of facilitating and accommodating the practice of illegal immigration.

Do people who resist any measures that could help deter this gruesome business realise that they aren't half as humanitarian as they think they are? How can anyone minimally informed about what goes on along these routes operated by criminals of the worst type, the ones packing anything that floats and pushing them out into the sea without a care, become indignant when somebody like the Italians or Trump pops up with some measure that can only go on to help curb such practices? In the US, border patrol have to put every young girl through a pregnancy test to check they weren't one of the many raped along the way, why would anyone endorse illegal immigration and even shout for more? It's insane, really.

Mr. Penguin, you are endorsing and promoting the perpetuation of what you claim to be loosing your sleep over.
um... i mean his cause is understandable but hes doing it in the completely wrong way. its also very hypocritical. i don't want anymore kids to die... so amma bout to kill a couple of kids in a fire? makes sense...
Reply 4
The bus driver was not Italian.
“Italian”
Original post by Jebedee
The bus driver was not Italian.

Original post by akbar0123
“Italian”

He was an Italian citizen so Italian would be correct.
Reply 7
Original post by Decahedron
He was an Italian citizen so Italian would be correct.

If I get a Chinese passport. Does it make me Chinese?
Original post by Jebedee
If I get a Chinese passport. Does it make me Chinese?

Legally, yes.
Reply 9
Legally, yes.

So you wouldn't find it odd if I had committed a crime and the media described me as a Chinese man, when I have no Asian blood of any kind?
Original post by Jebedee
So you wouldn't find it odd if I had committed a crime and the media described me as a Chinese man, when I have no Asian blood of any kind?

Well this attacker was described as a Senegalese born Italian citizen. I would image you would be described along those lines as well.
Before the racism on this thread escalates, can we we please note that the 13 year old boy who saved himself and all 50 of his classmates from this bus fire would not be considered 'Italian' by posters on here either...

He was born in Italy to an Egyptian family. He saved his classmates by hiding his phone when the bus driver collected them all, and then called his dad, telling him in Arabic to contact the police while pretending to the bus driver that he was praying. The police were then able to arrive in time to rescue all the children.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/italy-bus-attack-boy-13-hailed-a-hero-for-saving-classmates-by-concealing-phone-in-school-bus-a4098171.html
(edited 5 years ago)
Well this attacker was described as a Senegalese born Italian citizen. I would image you would be described along those lines as well.

My point is that isn't what is written in the headline. Most people don't go any further than that and so would be intentionally misled.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Before the racism on this thread escalates, can we we please note that the 13 year old boy who saved himself and all 50 of his classmates from this bus fire would not be considered 'Italian' by posters on here either...

He was born in Italy to an Egyptian family. He saved his classmates by hiding his phone when the bus driver collected them all, and then called his dad, telling him in Arabic to contact the police while pretending to the bus driver that he was praying. The police were then able to arrive in time to rescue all the children.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/italy-bus-attack-boy-13-hailed-a-hero-for-saving-classmates-by-concealing-phone-in-school-bus-a4098171.html

Egypt gets a free pass because of all the cool history/pyramids etc.
Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz
Egypt gets a free pass because of all the cool history/pyramids etc.

Same landscape. Different people.

Id be surprised if he was a descendent of the ancient Egyptians .
Original post by Jebedee
My point is that isn't what is written in the headline. Most people don't go any further than that and so would be intentionally misled.

The headline still isn't wrong and the article contains the full facts.

It would be impossible to put the full story in every headline and you shouldn't expect as much.
The headline still isn't wrong and the article contains the full facts.

It would be impossible to put the full story in every headline and you shouldn't expect as much.

It is wrong. We are talking about just adding the word "citizen" or changing Italian to say Senegalese.

We should hold the media to higher standards. This was a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the perpetrator, not an exercises in saving ad space.
Original post by Jebedee
It is wrong. We are talking about just adding the word "citizen" or changing Italian to say Senegalese.

We should hold the media to higher standards. This was a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the perpetrator, not an exercises in saving ad space.

Someone who is an Italian citizen is described as Italian it works the same for the citizens of all countries. Just because he isn't a white native Italian doesn't make him any less Italian.

You just don't like the facts because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions. Get over it.
Someone who is an Italian citizen is described as Italian it works the same for the citizens of all countries. Just because he isn't a white native Italian doesn't make him any less Italian.

You just don't like the facts because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions. Get over it.

What makes it a fact? Just that you said so?
If the Italian people universally agreed with you then fair enough, but they don't.

Conflating country of origin with the documentation one holds, is an insult to what Italians have historically achieved and what their culture has brought.
Original post by Jebedee
What makes it a fact? Just that you said so?
If the Italian people universally agreed with you then fair enough, but they don't.

Conflating country of origin with the documentation one holds, is an insult to what Italians have historically achieved and what their culture has brought.

Have you heard of a dictionary?

Italian - A native or inhabitant of Italy, or a person of Italian descent.

Italian culture... Are we talking about their fascism?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending