The Student Room Group

FCO Graduate Intern Scheme 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OSH996
The fact we heard back so quickly makes me think that we didn’t meet initial eligibility requirements... but there was nothing about dual nationals not being eligible was there? :s-smilie:

I also received a rejection today but I only have British nationality!
Reply 41
Ah ok never mind - we must have just not done the competencies all that well. I’m sorry to hear that you got rejected too! :frown:
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I also received a rejection today but I only have British nationality!
Sorry to hear some rejections have come through :frown:
Don’t take it to heart though - if numbers are similar to last year it’s pretty competitive!! For my intake around 1800 people applied and less than 200 were invited to interview (think maybe 180 ish? I have the figures in my notebook at home!)

So yeh, really don’t take it as not having a good application!
Reply 43
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news I don't think it's ineligibility, I think we just didn't pass the initial sift. I'm a British citizen with no dual nationality and got rejected too. The standard must have been super high or maybe they're looking for a really specific set of criteria.
Original post by OSH996
The fact we heard back so quickly makes me think that we didn’t meet initial eligibility requirements... but there was nothing about dual nationals not being eligible was there? :s-smilie:
Reply 44
Yes I know - it was just wishful thinking :frown:
Original post by Dupree
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news I don't think it's ineligibility, I think we just didn't pass the initial sift. I'm a British citizen with no dual nationality and got rejected too. The standard must have been super high or maybe they're looking for a really specific set of criteria.
Sorry to hear some more of you were also rejected, it's just so bloody competitive! I really wish it was possible to get feedback.
Anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can apply? I'd be keen to go for it again but obviously conscious that each year you move further away from graduation.
Original post by liebemanc
Sorry to hear some more of you were also rejected, it's just so bloody competitive! I really wish it was possible to get feedback.
Anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can apply? I'd be keen to go for it again but obviously conscious that each year you move further away from graduation.

I’m not aware of a limit. And I don’t think you necessarily have to have just graduated. I finished my BA in 2014, MA in 2015. I had gone back to uni for a PGCE 2017/18 but don’t think that mattered for my application!
Original post by sophia5892
I’m not aware of a limit. And I don’t think you necessarily have to have just graduated. I finished my BA in 2014, MA in 2015. I had gone back to uni for a PGCE 2017/18 but don’t think that mattered for my application!

Thank you! That's reassuring to know :smile:
Reply 48
Has anyone here either been accepted or not heard anything? I’m being very hopeful/unrealistic here but can’t help wondering if there’s been a mistake... as it’s kind of weird that the notification went out on a Saturday and so far it seems all of us have been rejected... just a thought :tongue:
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything yet, although I've got a couple of mates who've been rejected. It said in the PDF that they'd sift it by the first and last questions first, and then assess the others. So I guess they've probably only sifted by those so far, and the rest of us will hear once they've gone through the other questions. Sorry about not getting through, plenty of other stuff out there and other ways into the FCO
Original post by OSH996
Has anyone here either been accepted or not heard anything? I’m being very hopeful/unrealistic here but can’t help wondering if there’s been a mistake... as it’s kind of weird that the notification went out on a Saturday and so far it seems all of us have been rejected... just a thought :tongue:
Reply 50
That makes sense! Good luck!!
Original post by aubreywannabe
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything yet, although I've got a couple of mates who've been rejected. It said in the PDF that they'd sift it by the first and last questions first, and then assess the others. So I guess they've probably only sifted by those so far, and the rest of us will hear once they've gone through the other questions. Sorry about not getting through, plenty of other stuff out there and other ways into the FCO
I also received a rejection yesterday and I am not a dual national so must've just let my self down on the first and last competencies! Oh well! I'll try for the fast stream scheme in August and failing that try again the following year! All the best to those of you who do get in!
Reply 52
I'm taking this as a test of resolve. I was rejected in this year's CS application round after the video interview and now I'm hoping the internship will work out. But from what I've been reading it's quite common for applicants to make it on their second or third try.
With that in mind, good luck to everyone else who is still waiting and to those who were rejected let's try again and again until we get in.
I've just found out that I've been successful at the sift stage!
Original post by IceCool

Congratulations! Me too! Eek!
Same! Got kicked out at Video Interview for the Fast Stream so hopefully this goes better haha
Original post by IceCool
Original post by sophia5892
Sorry to hear some rejections have come through :frown:
Don’t take it to heart though - if numbers are similar to last year it’s pretty competitive!! For my intake around 1800 people applied and less than 200 were invited to interview (think maybe 180 ish? I have the figures in my notebook at home!)

So yeh, really don’t take it as not having a good application!

i was just wondering, how many people are actually on the scheme? and what is the interview stage like after the video interview? is it an assessment-centre-style day?
I got through to VI. How are people preparing for the VI?
Reply 58
I got through too :smile: got through to the VI last year but didn’t make it past that stage. Going to prepare a lot more this time.
Congratulations! Obviously without going into unfair detail, to what extent were the VI questions last time similar to the application form questions? Were they broadly along the same lines, or were they addressing different competencies?
Original post by so.e.b
I got through too :smile: got through to the VI last year but didn’t make it past that stage. Going to prepare a lot more this time.

Quick Reply

Latest