The Student Room Group

Lecturer giving feedback late

For one of my modules we have to complete an essay every week and use our feedback each time to improve (this is a really clear requirement that we are reminded of every week). We're supposed to get the feedback the day before the next essay is due and I didn't receive my feedback for last week's essay today. I emailed my lecturer apologising for bothering her but asking if there's maybe something wrong with my learning platform because my feedback hasn't shown up and whether or not I could get sent the feedback another way so I can use it to inform my essay due in for tomorrow. She replied pretty rudely, making it obvious she was pissed I'd asked, saying she 'can't go quicker than that' and that she does feedback within just a week. It's already been a week though and I'm now at a disadvantage compared to other students who can work from their feedback from last week.

I'm wondering if she thinks I'm in another essay group meaning I would be asking for feedback just a few days after the essay was submitted but obviously it's her job to know who's in which group and when each person has their feedback due. Any idea of what I should do about this? I'm pretty pissed because she's been kinda rude to me before, especially considering I have anxiety and can't attend tutorials/lectures or anything properly so this kind of unnecessary hostility is definitely the kind of thing that would stop me from asking for help when I need.
Original post by kljkhj
For one of my modules we have to complete an essay every week and use our feedback each time to improve (this is a really clear requirement that we are reminded of every week). We're supposed to get the feedback the day before the next essay is due and I didn't receive my feedback for last week's essay today. I emailed my lecturer apologising for bothering her but asking if there's maybe something wrong with my learning platform because my feedback hasn't shown up and whether or not I could get sent the feedback another way so I can use it to inform my essay due in for tomorrow. She replied pretty rudely, making it obvious she was pissed I'd asked, saying she 'can't go quicker than that' and that she does feedback within just a week. It's already been a week though and I'm now at a disadvantage compared to other students who can work from their feedback from last week.

I'm wondering if she thinks I'm in another essay group meaning I would be asking for feedback just a few days after the essay was submitted but obviously it's her job to know who's in which group and when each person has their feedback due. Any idea of what I should do about this? I'm pretty pissed because she's been kinda rude to me before, especially considering I have anxiety and can't attend tutorials/lectures or anything properly so this kind of unnecessary hostility is definitely the kind of thing that would stop me from asking for help when I need.

is there another lecturer for that subject that you could speak to for advice? or consider speaking to the SU for advice.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
is there another lecturer for that subject that you could speak to for advice? or consider speaking to the SU for advice.

Hi, I have the same problem and for 12 days no one is willing to give feedback on my amended work. I asked 5 times via e-mail but every time I received misleading answers ( the teacher is on vacation, we will ask another teacher to look at your work, tomorrow there will be a teacher to look at your work, the teacher returns on Monday and then you will have feedback and we are jealous, but the teacher is gone today ) when I make a call every time different people from the office pick up and the story repeats... The problem is that the death line expires in two days and no problem is resolved. In general, students have any rights in this regard, or we are just obliged to tolerate the behavior of the lecturers???
Original post by Buckscho
Hi, I have the same problem and for 12 days no one is willing to give feedback on my amended work. I asked 5 times via e-mail but every time I received misleading answers ( the teacher is on vacation, we will ask another teacher to look at your work, tomorrow there will be a teacher to look at your work, the teacher returns on Monday and then you will have feedback and we are jealous, but the teacher is gone today ) when I make a call every time different people from the office pick up and the story repeats... The problem is that the death line expires in two days and no problem is resolved. In general, students have any rights in this regard, or we are just obliged to tolerate the behavior of the lecturers???

the su no help?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
the su no help?

I will also ask SU tomorrow but I doubt they will help me with anything. There are at least three more lecturers that can give me an appreciation of my work but the question is why don't they do it?
Reply 5
the question is why don't they do it?

'Bureaucracy' is the likely answer
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
'Bureaucracy' is the likely answer

14 days bureaucracy after talking on the phone and 5 letters to the office? What happens if the death lies out and I don't get a pass?
Reply 7
14 days bureaucracy after talking on the phone and 5 letters to the office? What happens if the death lies out and I don't get a pass?

death lies?

But yes, you'd be surprised. Not a satisfying answer, but I'd put money on it being the major factor.

In such an instance, you submit mitigation with evidence of your communications and lack of movement on the university's side.

You are at a disadvantage because it is the summer vacation and lots of academics simply are not in work (my dept has been empty for weeks)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
death lies?

But yes, you'd be surprised. Not a satisfying answer, but I'd put money on it being the major factor.

In such an instance, you submit mitigation with evidence of your communications and lack of movement on the university's side.

You are at a disadvantage because it is the summer vacation and lots of academics simply are not in work (my dept has been empty for weeks)

*deadlines
Is it not their duty to evaluate the work of the students? However, we live in times where people use the Internet for communication and lecturer can give his assessment from anywhere in the world.
Reply 9
*deadlines
Is it not their duty to evaluate the work of the students? However, we live in times where people use the Internet for communication and lecturer can give his assessment from anywhere in the world.

If they are on holiday then the sad fact is that they might not bother

Duty is a weird one, yes if you are one of their students, the water muddies somewhat if you aren't. I'm not sure how you can kick up more of a fuss to get this sorted but you should take whatever options you can think of. I think you could probably raise a grievance via the SU or the relevant university dept. What is the piece of work, btw? Coursework, dissertation, what?
Original post by gjd800
If they are on holiday then the sad fact is that they might not bother

Duty is a weird one, yes if you are one of their students, the water muddies somewhat if you aren't. I'm not sure how you can kick up more of a fuss to get this sorted but you should take whatever options you can think of. I think you could probably raise a grievance via the SU or the relevant university dept. What is the piece of work, btw? Coursework, dissertation, what?

Coursework, thanks for the advice. Good evening for me now and we'll see what the results are tomorrow.
Reply 11
Coursework, thanks for the advice. Good evening for me now and we'll see what the results are tomorrow.

Good luck, I hope that you get it sorted

Quick Reply

Latest