The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Rejected from KCL

Hi, so my UKCAT wasn't that good and I applied for the extended medical course at kings. I went for an interview and they said my interview wasn't as strong as other applicants and got rejected. This was literally my NIGHTMARE as I've always wanted to do med there. I'm trying to remain calm but what do I do? my predicted was AAB and the requirements were ABB. But I think I can boost one grade up to an a* which isn't a science so there's really no point. Would I have to go through clearing? Southampton rejected me for some odd reason even though my predicted grades were above theirs and I only have biomed left in two unis whose grades are higher than for that extended medical course! I don't know what to do. I'm still going to try my absolute best to pull it off but wonder how lenient they'll be if I go through clearing?? I was even considering doing another course then postgraduate into med but even that needs an A in chem which ill hopefully get. Just need some guidance..
(edited 5 years ago)
Southampton uses the UKCAT so if you did poorly on that, it's quite likely that was the issue (although if it was the BM6, they might have different widening participation requirements to the KCL extended course that you didn't meet).

If you do better than your predicted grades you can always reapply in a gap year. In the meantime, it's probably best to focus on doing as well as you can in your studies currently, and then weigh up your options once you have your results. You could select the BMS courses for your firm/insurance choices so you have some option of continuing to uni next year potentially, if you decide against reapplying to medicine.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
So if I get the grades on results day would I need to contact Kings saying that I've got the grades or go through clearing? or are they the same thing? and how lenient do you think they'll be?
When did you get the rejection? I thought they weren't replying until April. Don't worry though- you should work hard on your A levels and maybe take a gap year- clearing is risky- they don't usually have places for medicine. Stay strong and have hope- if you have no other unis look for alternative courses such as bio-med etc. and do grad med. on results day if your grades are good, take the gap year instead and work to get a good Bmat and UKCAT score so you can get in next time around- don't panic just focus on your a levels and hopefully, things will work out- all the best
Original post by judgeful
Hi, so my UKCAT wasn't that good and I applied for the extended medical course at kings. I went for an interview and they said my interview wasn't as strong as other applicants and got rejected. This was literally my NIGHTMARE as I've always wanted to do med there. I'm trying to remain calm but what do I do? my predicted was AAB and the requirements were ABB. But I think I can boost one grade up to an a* which isn't a science so there's really no point. Would I have to go through clearing? Southampton rejected me for some odd reason even though my predicted grades were above theirs and I only have biomed left in two unis whose grades are higher than for that extended medical course! I don't know what to do. I'm still going to try my absolute best to pull it off but wonder how lenient they'll be if I go through clearing?? I was even considering doing another course then postgraduate into med but even that needs an A in chem which ill hopefully get. Just need some guidance..
Reply 4
thank you so much. I'll just focus on getting the grades right now. I'm just torn between choosing another course then applying for postgraduate med or taking the gap year..but for now I have to just focus on what needs to be done i guess
Good luck, don't stress too much- I know it can be disheartening. You will do well :smile:
thank you so much. I'll just focus on getting the grades right now. I'm just torn between choosing another course then applying for postgraduate med or taking the gap year..but for now I have to just focus on what needs to be done i guess
So if I get the grades on results day would I need to contact Kings saying that I've got the grades or go through clearing? or are they the same thing? and how lenient do you think they'll be?

Kings never go into clearance for medicine I asked them
Reply 7
Original post by Samantha2009
Kings never go into clearance for medicine I asked them

Do you know any universities that do?

St. George’s does

Last year the following went into clearance for medicine
Newcastle
Manchester
Leicester
St George
Last year the following went into clearance for medicine
Newcastle
Manchester
Leicester
St George

Medic portal sent an email that
UCLan still have places for medicine
Medic portal sent an email that
UCLan still have places for medicine

You don’t need ukcat for UCLan for medicine go on their website
Reply 12
you have to be from their area though right? also clearance for example I didn’t apply to St. Georges but can i still call and ask them if they have space?
Original post by bidi
you have to be from their area though right? also clearance for example I didn’t apply to St. Georges but can i still call and ask them if they have space?

You'll be best starting your own thread, this one is 2 years old and any of the info in it may be out of date.

Latest