The Student Room Group

Biology

Any videos or clear mind maps which explain AQA Biology on the DNA/Genes section?
Original post by lea.2002
Any videos or clear mind maps which explain AQA Biology on the DNA/Genes section?

The videos I found on youtube were not A-Level specific and didn't have enough detail needed to get high grades.

The only good videos I found for A-Level Biology were on Snaprevise and TailoredTutors- they have detailed videos on each topic that go through both the content and exam questions. :smile:

Though you have to pay for them, they give you access to a lot of useful resources.
You could also take the free trials and watch their videos on DNA/Genes for FREE! (Life Hack)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Infinite Series
The videos I found on youtube were not A-Level specific and didn't have enough detail needed to get high grades.

The only good videos I found for A-Level Biology were on Snaprevise and TailoredTutors- they have detailed videos on each topic that go through both the content and exam questions. :smile:

Though you have to pay for them, they give you access to a lot of useful resources.
You could also take the free trials and watch their videos on DNA/Genes for FREE! (Life Hack)

I saw you on another thread and you said that the videos aren't detailed enough for the high grades on snaprevise? Have you purchased tailored tutors; do you go to the webinars if so I do! and they're great :smile: I personally feel like the youtube videos that go beyond the spec are good because a lot of these new spec papers reply on you having a strong/solid understanding (especially biology)of the content, there needs to be a fine balance between understanding the content & doing sufficient exam practice. For example, one of the questions on a new spec paper for bio was 'why does an enzyme lower Ea' ; it's not in the endorsed textbook nor is it on the spec so it relied on wider reading. What do you think? are you revising in this way with both understanding + questions/pp?
Original post by TSR1515
I saw you on another thread and you said that the videos aren't detailed enough for the high grades on snaprevise? Have you purchased tailored tutors; do you go to the webinars if so I do! and they're great :smile: I personally feel like the youtube videos that go beyond the spec are good because a lot of these new spec papers reply on you having a strong/solid understanding (especially biology)of the content, there needs to be a fine balance between understanding the content & doing sufficient exam practice. For example, one of the questions on a new spec paper for bio was 'why does an enzyme lower Ea' ; it's not in the endorsed textbook nor is it on the spec so it relied on wider reading. What do you think? are you revising in this way with both understanding + questions/pp?

Since the exams are near, I decided to purchase Snaprevise. When I initially had my free trial last year, It hadn't convinced me that I could get an A grade using it. However, now that I've seen and experienced the new update, it's become a very good resource which I am using everyday to aid my revision!
I've purchased TailoredTutors courses and recommend them because they are tailored for the new specification, for which there is very little help elsewhere.

Remember that no resource on it's own will get you an A*/A grade. Snaprevise and TailoredTutors will help you learn the content and give you some exam question practice, but you need to also do many other exam papers to make sure you're prepared for everything that the exam can throw at you :smile:

I am finishing all the content for each subject at the moment and making sure I've a good understanding in every area. I plan to really smash out exam practice next month.

What exam board are you for Biology?

How many marks was available for your question 'Why does an enzyme lower Ea'?
I would answer it as follows:
Enzymes can cause the formation of intermediates that can then react faster, so that when the reactant molecules collide successfully they are more likely to be in the correct orientation that leads to products formed.

That's a great question though. I'd like to know what the answer was:h:
Since the exams are near, I decided to purchase Snaprevise. When I initially had my free trial last year, It hadn't convinced me that I could get an A grade using it. However, now that I've seen and experienced the new update, it's become a very good resource which I am using everyday to aid my revision!
I've purchased TailoredTutors courses and recommend them because they are tailored for the new specification, for which there is very little help elsewhere.

Remember that no resource on it's own will get you an A*/A grade. Snaprevise and TailoredTutors will help you learn the content and give you some exam question practice, but you need to also do many other exam papers to make sure you're prepared for everything that the exam can throw at you :smile:

I am finishing all the content for each subject at the moment and making sure I've a good understanding in every area. I plan to really smash out exam practice next month.

What exam board are you for Biology?

How many marks was available for your question 'Why does an enzyme lower Ea'?
I would answer it as follows:
Enzymes can cause the formation of intermediates that can then react faster, so that when the reactant molecules collide successfully they are more likely to be in the correct orientation that leads to products formed.

That's a great question though. I'd like to know what the answer was:h:

Are you buying the revision kit for tailored tutors?
AQA
Your answer was wrong. The enzyme puts tension (underlined tension) on the bonds in the substrate molecule.
Yeah I agree with you understanding is very pivotal;
Exactly the same, I’m going to start past papers next week (1st April onwards- till June exams) that means we both have less than one week to understand the content (I’m also trying to understand the content like you before pp), how much content have you gone through understanding yet? 🙃
Original post by TSR1515
Are you buying the revision kit for tailored tutors?
AQA
Your answer was wrong. The enzyme puts tension (underlined tension) on the bonds in the substrate molecule.
Yeah I agree with you understanding is very pivotal;
Exactly the same, I’m going to start past papers next week (1st April onwards- till June exams) that means we both have less than one week to understand the content (I’m also trying to understand the content like you before pp), how much content have you gone through understanding yet? 🙃

I have the Biology+Chemistry package from TailoredTutors.
I just need to go over 6 more chapters in Biology- there's plenty of time until April, so i'm on track :smile:
I just need to go over 6 more chapters in Biology- there's plenty of time until April, so i'm on track :smile:

There’s not really plenty of time left lol ; under a week
Hi,

I was thinking of buying tailored tutors a level chemistry edexcel ultimate guide for year 12 and year 13, but was wondering what it means by the tutoring and being able to ask questions. How quick do the tutors reply? Can you only ask them a certain number of questions or an unlimited number?

THanks
Original post by Panda250501
Hi,

I was thinking of buying tailored tutors a level chemistry edexcel ultimate guide for year 12 and year 13, but was wondering what it means by the tutoring and being able to ask questions. How quick do the tutors reply? Can you only ask them a certain number of questions or an unlimited number?

THanks

It's best for you to ask you questions on here: https://tailoredtutors.co.uk/ (click the orange box on the bottom right side of the page and ask any question about their products).

If you are uncertain or have questions about any topics, then you should see your school teacher about it.
Reply 9
2018 papers: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRcYXoSOTqdMjLXR8I-zBrc69Yr9zb6d_
All section 8 included as well!!!

Channel is called a level biology with miss jercha
Model answers

Exam tips

Notes based on new aqa specification
Original post by lea.2002

Quick Reply

Latest