The Student Room Group

I regret the University I went to. Who else?

Next year will be my third year of University, and I regret picking the University I chose.

It's in a very dead, uninteresting, uncultured town which has poor entertainment for students and is massively overpriced. I also haven't made many friends at all because I'm not that similar to the people who are attracted to there.

I realized that I wasn't enjoying it a term into my first year, and tried to transfer into second year to a different University, but I missed the deadline by a few weeks. I also was skeptical about changing Universitys into second year because everyone would've already made their friends from first. Also, I was enjoying my degree course.

When I was 17 I was very different to I am now. I was uneducated about Universities and didnt realize how much the location was an important factor in deciding.

A positive is that I've enjoyed my course and excelled in it with a high 2:1. But for me, University is alot more than just grades. I've also met my boyfriend who lives in the area and we have a really strong relationship. I wouldn't have met him, but at the same time I feel like if I had gone to a University that suites me these 3 years would've been so much better..

Anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Which uni did u go to and what course
please make us also aware that which Univ you chose and what was your discipline? So that we may judge your decisions and also further take our decisions wisely in future for it!!
Reply 3
Surrey University, Criminology
Original post by Bilalrx12
Which uni did u go to and what course
Original post by pinktulip12
Next year will be my third year of University, and I regret picking the University I chose.

It's in a very dead, uninteresting, uncultured town which has poor entertainment for students and is massively overpriced. I also haven't made many friends at all because I'm not that similar to the people who are attracted to there.

I realized that I wasn't enjoying it a term into my first year, and tried to transfer into second year to a different University, but I missed the deadline by a few weeks. I also was skeptical about changing Universitys into second year because everyone would've already made their friends from first. Also, I was enjoying my degree course.

When I was 17 I was very different to I am now. I was uneducated about Universities and didnt realize how much the location was an important factor in deciding.

A positive is that I've enjoyed my course and excelled in it with a high 2:1. But for me, University is alot more than just grades. I've also met my boyfriend who lives in the area and we have a really strong relationship. I wouldn't have met him, but at the same time I feel like if I had gone to a University that suites me these 3 years would've been so much better..

Think you have done well. Lots of people dont achieve what you have.
I do laugh when people become obsessed about reputation and never mention actually having an enjoyable uni experience as well. Some unis you get a more balanced experience.
Reply 5
Thanks. I was never worried about the reputation of the Uni i went to, I just wanted to have an all-around experience. It's a shame that didn't really happen to me.
Original post by 999tigger
I do laugh when people become obsessed about reputation and never mention actually having an enjoyable uni experience as well. Some unis you get a more balanced experience.
Well Surrey is a very good well to do Univ in every subject. I guess their curriculum didn't suit you. I am by your side. You just need patience and pass your last year well :smile:
Thanks. I was never worried about the reputation of the Uni i went to, I just wanted to have an all-around experience. It's a shame that didn't really happen to me.

I would just agree with you in the fact people should consider where they might be living for the next 3-5 years as if its too small, then it can get very boring. Expense is another thing.

Do a masters somewhere you fancy after.
Reply 8
Meh, 3 years is almost up. You are acheiving good grades and have someone to share it with. The University 'experience' is an overrated small part of your life and the fun begins when you graduate next year and can move anywhere you please.

Not everyone has the perfect university experience, and I am sorry that you didn't fully enjoy it. However, at least there are positives to the last few years - you managed to achieve a good degree and you met your boyfriend! It is worth considering that university is only three years of your life, so you have the rest of your life to try to work to create the life that you are happy with. Now that you have gone through this experience, you know what things you don't like and make better choices to find the things that you do like from this point. What are your plans after graduation?
Surrey University, Criminology

What in particular don't you like about the people in your course (and what are they like), because I'm curious. Also maybe try getting a part time job, which is a good way to make new friends, particularly at a McDonalds or something, you'll get some good characters, you're friends don't have to be as smart as you.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Not everyone has the perfect university experience, and I am sorry that you didn't fully enjoy it. However, at least there are positives to the last few years - you managed to achieve a good degree and you met your boyfriend! It is worth considering that university is only three years of your life, so you have the rest of your life to try to work to create the life that you are happy with. Now that you have gone through this experience, you know what things you don't like and make better choices to find the things that you do like from this point. What are your plans after graduation?

Thanks. Once I graduate I'm planning on travelling around Asia for 2 months with my boyfriend and then moving to Bristol with him. Hopefully that'll all be more exciting!
A large chunk of my University are either quiet, shy and studious or petty, closed minded, judgmental. Trust me, I'm really not generalizing. I've joined many societies, taken up a part time job, been as social as I could, held my own pre drinks, but I never met my kind of people. I'm not wanting them to be smart (most people at my Uni are), just outgoing, open minded, "city" type people. But it seems like people who are attracted to the town I live in aren't those sort of people.
Original post by lil mong
What in particular don't you like about the people in your course (and what are they like), because I'm curious. Also maybe try getting a part time job, which is a good way to make new friends, particularly at a McDonalds or something, you'll get some good characters, you're friends don't have to be as smart as you.
Thanks. Once I graduate I'm planning on travelling around Asia for 2 months with my boyfriend and then moving to Bristol with him. Hopefully that'll all be more exciting!

Wow Asia is lovely - I think you will find it really interesting! Bristol is good city to live in too :smile:
Original post by 999tigger

Very well said. I was talking to a friend recently who graduated bang on 70! a first in Law from LJMU. He got B's in his A levels and didn't meet the criteria for many top tier unis. Anyhow he too, is still hung up on reputation (although i have encouraged him to do a a masters at a top uni, if it makes him feel better) especially since the Uni of Liverpool students can be a bit prideful.
I asked him if had secured a Training Contract, obviously was his reply. I asked him how many people from top unis are still applying and failing to get TCs, perhaps 2nd and 3rd year (after graduating) still trying... proved your point, uni reputations are great, if that's all one wants to hark on about, I think what you do at uni (grades, certain extra circ, volunteering) is far more important. And generally comes across at interview (having conducted a few of those myself!).

:smile:
I regret the uni i chose as well. It's way too posh and i dont fit in. Hardly anyone is into the same stuff i am
I think what's also probably getting you down is the fact that university is hyped up to be the most important or fun parts of your life, but I disagree. All throughout your life, everyone has different experiences of things and so I don't think you can narrow down uni to be the best part.

If it's any consolation, know that you are not alone. I (and others that I know of) have little friends at uni; I'm more of the person where I need to stick around a bit to be comfortable with them. Most of my friends that I've actually made were because they approached me lol.
Original post by honestly
Very well said. I was talking to a friend recently who graduated bang on 70! a first in Law from LJMU. He got B's in his A levels and didn't meet the criteria for many top tier unis. Anyhow he too, is still hung up on reputation (although i have encouraged him to do a a masters at a top uni, if it makes him feel better) especially since the Uni of Liverpool students can be a bit prideful.
I asked him if had secured a Training Contract, obviously was his reply. I asked him how many people from top unis are still applying and failing to get TCs, perhaps 2nd and 3rd year (after graduating) still trying... proved your point, uni reputations are great, if that's all one wants to hark on about, I think what you do at uni (grades, certain extra circ, volunteering) is far more important. And generally comes across at interview (having conducted a few of those myself!).

:smile:

Where law is concerned they can both be important.

I was just pointing out being happy and living somewhere nice adds to your uni experience, but people are obsessed on what they believe is a rigid slide rule of reputation.

If he was aged 70 on graduating then he did well to get a TC. Not all TCs are equal. He's done the best for himself though and has put himself more in the game.
I regret one of the universities I went to.
Learned the hard way that with uni's it is vital to always: go to open days, look at current student feedback and discuss academic/organisational culture with past students.
Original post by Molseh
Meh, 3 years is almost up. You are acheiving good grades and have someone to share it with. The University 'experience' is an overrated small part of your life and the fun begins when you graduate next year and can move anywhere you please.

yeah i would say i had the typical uni 'experience' but would say it was pretty overrated. u can basically experience it without going i.e. move into a house share with some good people, go on a few nights out, join some local clubs, study as part of an apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending