The Student Room Group

BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

"A British Airways flight destined for Dusseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691478

It sounds like an honest mistake... but this really puts shorter delays in perspective, at least you normally arrive in the right country! :lol:
Original post by shadowdweller
"A British Airways flight destined for Dusseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691478

It sounds like an honest mistake... but this really puts shorter delays in perspective, at least you normally arrive in the right country! :lol:

That's a helluva mistake to make :redface:
"The pilot then asked passengers to raise their hands if they wanted to go to Düsseldorf.

Everyone raised their hands."

:lol:

How does this even happen :s-smilie:
Is the pilot drunk?
Reply 4
No, the flight plan was filed for Edinburgh. That means everyone in the cockpit thought they were going to Edinburgh, ATC (Air Traffic Control) thought the plane was going to Edinburgh. Only the passengers and non flight crew thought they were going to Dusseldorf. The non flight crew rarely talk with the pilots about where they are going, since it is assumed everyone knows.
Original post by hongkongdilong
Is the pilot drunk?
Oh, I see. Thank you.
Original post by hj232
No, the flight plan was filed for Edinburgh. That means everyone in the cockpit thought they were going to Edinburgh, ATC (Air Traffic Control) thought the plane was going to Edinburgh. Only the passengers and non flight crew thought they were going to Dusseldorf. The non flight crew rarely talk with the pilots about where they are going, since it is assumed everyone knows.
Original post by hj232

When I've flown one of the pilots has announced where the flight is going over the PA while the plane is on the ground at the departure airport tbh think that's always happened.
Reply 7
Yes, but people can assume it's a mistake, since saying something and doing something are completely different things. A lot of smaller planes do not have in flight entertainment displays, so it is very hard to see where you are going as a passenger. Once you are above cloud level on a cloudy day, you will see very little below.

The fault is with whoever produced the documents given to the pilots, the pilots would have produced a flight plan and sent it off to ATC. It's an internal BA problem.
Original post by Joinedup
When I've flown one of the pilots has announced where the flight is going over the PA while the plane is on the ground at the departure airport tbh think that's always happened.
Hahaha that is brilliant
It’s very odd indeed.

Usually before the plane takes off the pilot says this flight to X will take about Y hours. I assume that didn’t happen,

I also read in the paper this morning that tickets weren’t checked properly p
Original post by hj232
Yes, but people can assume it's a mistake, since saying something and doing something are completely different things. A lot of smaller planes do not have in flight entertainment displays, so it is very hard to see where you are going as a passenger. Once you are above cloud level on a cloudy day, you will see very little below.

The fault is with whoever produced the documents given to the pilots, the pilots would have produced a flight plan and sent it off to ATC. It's an internal BA problem.

What that announcement would tell me, if it wasn't immediately followed by a correction, is that there's two people in snappy uniforms up at the pointy end of the plane who both think they're about to fly it to Edinburgh.

You'd think any normal passengers would ask the person nearest what their ticket says and/or summon a stewardess to verify.

however the flight originated in London and we all know how much Londoners hate talking to other passengers :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Like I said, it's very easy to get names confused, especially if you did a flight previously to Edinburgh.

What that announcement would tell me, if it wasn't immediately followed by a correction, is that there's two people in snappy uniforms up at the pointy end of the plane who both think they're about to fly it to Edinburgh.

You'd think any normal passengers would ask the person nearest what their ticket says and/or summon a stewardess to verify.

however the flight originated in London and we all know how much Londoners hate talking to other passengers :rolleyes:
Original post by hj232
Like I said, it's very easy to get names confused, especially if you did a flight previously to Edinburgh.

and like I said it's very easy to ask the person sat next to you what their ticket says... which apparently nobody did.

I would imagine this did not happen in this case for whatever reason - I doubt the entire plane of passengers would have just sat back and relaxed if it had! :tongue:
Well that’s comforting, I’m flying BA next month..
Original post by hj232

Surely the pilot and flight crew announce where they are going?

It normally goes like, “Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is John Grant and the First Officer in charge of your flight this morning. Welcome to the BA flight 257 to Berlin. The estimated travel time will be 4 hours and 21 mins and we are scheduled to arrive approximately at 3:50pm. The weather there is forecasted to be sunny with light rain in the late evening. I will now hand you over to the flight crew, who would support your journey with us today. Thank you for flying BA.”

If they did not make any annoucement, then it is their fault. If they did, then the travellers were morons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending