The Student Room Group

Jussie Smollet’s ‘homophobic and racial attack’ a hoax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Tbh, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I knew it was BS from the start, because I didn't know, but looking back in hindsight, the story was incredibly unbelievable.

I mean, who wears a MAGA hat in freezing weather in Chicago, and screams 'this is MAGA country' (which makes no sense) and just so happens to be equipped with bleach (which would FREEZE in the temperatures that Jessie Smollett was in) and a nose, and JUST SO HAPPENS to randomly come across a semi-not-so-famous actor that they would recognize at night. Not only that, but then who wears the nose on their neck for the entire night!?!

At least I learned to remember to be more inquisitive next time.

Ironically Chicago would be the polar opposite of ‘MAGA country’
I just think it's crazy how the media and celebrities lept on this type of story again, so soon after the whole 'Covington Boys' story (where people with blue ticks on Twitter where openly calling for violence against those boys). Thankfully, the media bias here in the UK is less completely bat **** than it is in America.
How lucky were the left?
I have just been sitting watching the highlights of the Oscars
If smollett had all happened 2 weeks later than it did then all the media and celebrities and the glitterarty of Hollywood would been in full rage on the night and undoubtedly it would have been all over the acceptance speeches.
they would have been queuing up on the stage to condemn trump and his supporters for what happened to "poor jussie"
To be honest if the truth I hadn't come out Smollett would be getting lionised and probably would have made the speech of the night. This easily could have been part of his grand plan.
Lucky lucky barstewards. 😁
Original post by Nadia19962
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47319044

When the news first broke last week, I actually sympathised him. But this morning Chicago police confirmed that he paid two men to perform the attack and he has been arrested and charged.

He has the fame, celebrity friends, he’s an actor on a hit tv show. But that apparently wasn’t enough. And why he staged this attack? For publicity and because he wasn’t happy with his salary on Empire. He wasted the police’s time and money. Made the whole world believe that he was a victim of a homophobic and racist attack. And now people who will have this attack and are victims, the police will less likely to believe them.

So that you aren't surprised when he goes free, he isn't going to be convicted for this crime for several reasons:

1) It's his word vs the 2 brothers. The two brothers who committed the crime have a vested interest in claiming they committed no crime(It isn't a crime if someone asks you to assault them. It's just tasteless).
2) It is unlikely there is a text where Jussie asks the guys, "Hey guys! Will you fake beating me up in exchange for $3000?", so there is unlikely to be a 'smoking gun'. It is likely to come down to the two brothers word vs Jussie's.
3) The US has a strong history of public black officials being set free despite overwhelming evidence of a crime as long as said public black official 'Doubles down on his blackness'. Mayor Marion was caught on tape smoking crack with a prostitute and used this defense for his jury very successfully, not only escaping jail time but being reelected. OJ simpson. R. Kelly was caught giving a golden shower to an underage girl in bondage (Again, on video) and used the same tactic to escape prison.(Though he has again been arrested with multiple counts on video. We'll see if that works again and again).

All of those combine to suggest Jussie won't see jailtime and this will be crowed about as proof he didn't do it. It won't, of course, mean he didn't do it - Just that he won't(And probably can't) be convicted of it, even if there were a smoking gun(Which there isn't) like a video of him confessing to the crime and handing money to the two brothers.
You're White uncle Toms and always side against your own race thats why
I hate to say I told you so.

All charges dropped.

It was real after all
Original post by Nalk1573
I hate to say I told you so.

All charges dropped.

It was real after all

Sounds a bit like they've agreed to drop the charges on the condition he gets out of town, I don't see anything there vindicating him.
Original post by StriderHort
Sounds a bit like they've agreed to drop the charges on the condition he gets out of town, I don't see anything there vindicating him.

The attackers said it was a set up by him and they were black being racist to another black man...... god knows why they let him off it’s a disgrace
Original post by paul514
The attackers said it was a set up by him and they were black being racist to another black man...... god knows why they let him off it’s a disgrace

See what happens I suppose, maybe they just see nothing to be gained wasting any more time on him or dont want to it dragging on in the media.

Still looks kinda certain he's not telling the truth, innocent people don't tend to need their community service to be taken into account, nor have to sacrifice their bailbond, funny how the case is now sealed. :rolleyes:
Yooooo this is turning into a proper soap opera.

The Mayor of Chicago is calling it a “whitewash of justice”

And apparently the Police Chief wasn’t even briefed.

Meanwhile Smolett continues to double down on his story saying he’s been “truthful since day one”. What a scumbag.
Because he a famous person I think if he was not a famous person he would be sent to prison
Original post by paul514
Original post by looloo2134
Because he a famous person I think if he was not a famous person he would be sent to prison

Exactly. There’s a two-tiered justice system in the US, and everywhere else I suppose.

The fact Smolett says he’s been truthful from day one is shameful.
I know there are famous people (e.g. Will Smith, Lindsey Lohan, Kim Kardashian) who have criminal records for some very nasty crimes and if they were not famous they would be doing long prison sentences.
Original post by Occitanie
Exactly. There’s a two-tiered justice system in the US, and everywhere else I suppose.

The fact Smolett says he’s been truthful from day one is shameful.
Charges dropped? Prosecutors think his 'service to the community' and forfeit of his bond counted towards letting him off? For real?

There were holes in his story from day one and the cops had pretty solid evidence. No wonder the police and the mayor are angry.

And now the guy has the nerve to say he was 'vindicated.' Sure, after striking a deal behind the scenes like a rich girl who's daddy has connections. 'Vindicated' my taint.
The way political relations are in the US at the moment it could have led to race riots and innocent people's deaths

This is a ridiculous result.
It’s going off the rails. There seems to be a big problem with corruption in Chicago and certain a two-tiered justice system.

Smollett is a sack of ****. I honestly wish the worse for him.
What did this man do anyway I've never heard of this person?
Original post by Just my opinion
The way political relations are in the US at the moment it could have led to race riots and innocent people's deaths

This is a ridiculous result.
Google the name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending