The Student Room Group

Why do people get offended when somone says an opposing view about their relegion?

It seems that some people are allowed to say whatever they like in support of their religion but whenever someone disagrees with them and says it's not real they get offended. Why?
Sometimes the people are just intolerant by nature and find hearing all alternative opinions profoundly offensive.
This type will be equally offended when the difference of opinion relates to brexit, tax, footballl, food or fashion.
Other people are religious zealots or fundamentalists who believe that their chosen religion/ interpretation of religion is special and must be obeyed by all.
A dose of reality leaves them highly offended.
Original post by theworld223
It seems that some people are allowed to say whatever they like in support of their religion but whenever someone disagrees with them and says it's not real they get offended. Why?

Not all people do but often TSR then the person doing it often does it in a rude and insulting way.
I used to feel attacked because religion meant a lot to me. Like I was Muslim and Islam literally means "submmission".
Reply 4
Some people even tend to get offended when you have an opposite view on much stupider things such as how pancakes should be served or their favourite OS... as I have seen today. :dontknow: They probably feel attacked in someways and just can’t help but have to defend their view at all cost. Life or death, en garde!
Is that surprising? They 100% believe in their own religion, which is to them the most important thing in the universe (by definition), so naturally they get offended when someone suggests an opposing view.
Original post by Obolinda
I used to feel attacked because religion meant a lot to me. Like I was Muslim and Islam literally means "submmission".

Until her early 20s, my mother used to cry whenever anyone said they didn't believe in the existence of God/Christ.
Taught by her ultra-traditionalist catholic family that people reject catholicism solely to torment catholics.
She ended up married to a bellowing militant atheist.
I don’t think anyone gets offended just because someone disagrees with their religion. No matter what religion you belong to, more than half the world disagrees with you.

People get offended when others are trying to be offensive.
what do you mean by offended?
Original post by 999tigger
Not all people do but often TSR then the person doing it often does it in a rude and insulting way.

:ditto: This tbh. I don't get offended just because people post an opposing belief or challenge my views! That would be daft :tongue: But people often deliberately use harsh and insulting language when making whatever point they're making, which I just find unnecessary tbh :jebus:
Not just religion, any ideology. It's your way of life. The more you identify with it, the more you feel offended.
I'm offended by this thread
There is a reason why people are reluctant towards their religious beliefs and could be ignorant/ stubborn (confirmation bias) and get offended quickly (on a neurological level/ instinctual level)

Neurologically speaking, there would be an increased activation with the religious arguments in what’s called the “default mode network.” To quote the study: That’s a collection of brain structures implicated “in mind wandering, in memory, in thinking about yourself and your identity,” Psychologists have been circling around a possible reason religious and political beliefs are so stubborn: Partisan identities get tied up in our personal identities. Which would mean that an attack on our strongly held beliefs is an attack on the self. And the brain is built to protect the self.

Basically, when you attack someone's religious and even political beliefs they would be engaging the same regions of the brain where we contemplate our identities and feel threats. And it’s presumably within these circuits that the roadblocks to accepting facts lie.

The brain processes such information (or information about strongly held beliefs) differently (and perhaps with more emotion) than it processes more mundane facts. It can help explain why attempts to correct misinformation can backfire completely, leaving people more convinced of their convictions.

Sorry, I totally nerded out, I just find this really interesting :colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LegallyJasmine
Sorry, I totally nerded out, I just find this really interesting :tongue:

Is that what you call plagiarising a Vox article? :sly:
it's like some people get really upset when you say that Brexit is a pile of festering wombat droppings. they are so rigid and judgmental ?
It's the Vox article I used a basis for my essay on it (before I went to more academic articles) :wink: Am not going to risk saying misinformation when it's not my specialty and I like the way they explained it. Information remains regardless whether it's from my memory or quoting the study's findings.

Original post by Palmyra
Is that what you call plagiarising a Vox article? :sly:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LegallyJasmine
It's the Vox article I used a basis for my essay on it (before I went to more academic articles) :wink: Am not going to risk saying misinformation when it's not my specialty and I like the way they explained it. Information remains regardless whether it's from my memory or quoting the study's findings.

I saw no quotation marks :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending