The Student Room Group

Computer Science GCSE help

Has anyone got any tips on how to answer programming questions on Paper 1? Trace tables aren’t a problem it’s when it comes to coding a question! I’m worried that i won’t know how to draw a flow chart or write pseudo code for a question, I know how to code python pretty well. Any advice would be great as I’m aiming for a 7/8 :smile:
Original post by Jvr4
Has anyone got any tips on how to answer programming questions on Paper 1? Trace tables aren’t a problem it’s when it comes to coding a question! I’m worried that i won’t know how to draw a flow chart or write pseudo code for a question, I know how to code python pretty well. Any advice would be great as I’m aiming for a 7/8 :smile:

I don't believe there are any programming and algorithms in computing paper 1. I could be ignorant or it may be something to do with exam boards. I am on OCR. What are you using?
AQA
Reply 3
85% of the course is the same for any board doing CS AQA/OCR/Edexcel. its the 15% that the boards get to play with
Original post by MikeOnABike
I don't believe there are any programming and algorithms in computing paper 1. I could be ignorant or it may be something to do with exam boards. I am on OCR. What are you using?
Try to write the majority of your answer in the bits of pseudo code you do know, using the extracts of pseudo code printed in the exam paper for help. For any parts you are unsure of, don't panic, just write what you mean in English or write it in python. You could even get away with writing the whole answer in python as long as the examiner understands your code.If you want to learn the basic syntax of AQA pseudo code, this resource is great:https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/computing/AQA-8520-TG-PC.PDF
Original post by ElGriffo
85% of the course is the same for any board doing CS AQA/OCR/Edexcel. its the 15% that the boards get to play with

Ty, I didn't realise that. However, it could be more questions to do with algorithms in Component one on a different exam board.
Reply 6
yea true
Original post by MikeOnABike
Ty, I didn't realise that. However, it could be more questions to do with algorithms in Component one on a different exam board.
Original post by Jvr4

Ok, I looked at your specimen papers and realised how different it is in your paper.
I have managed to do fairly well in our Paper 2 (our paper with a lot of pseudocodes). I have found that if you try to write your pseudocode in a fairly similar way to as you code in python, with maybe a few changes (such as adding end loops and end if statements), it generally gets accepted.

This is an example from a recent paper of mine:
6.C.IV. Write an algorithm to output the total number of minutes student 0 played computer games from Monday (day 0) to Friday (day 4).
Total = 0
Counter = 0
WHILE Counter != 5
Total += hoursPlayed[0,Counter]
Counter += 1
END WHILE
PRINT Total

I got full marks on that question and as you can see, the code is remarkably similar to python, even though there are a few changes. Just so long as they know what you mean, everything should work out fine.
Thanks Mike!
No problem
Original post by Jvr4
Thanks Mike!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending