The Student Room Group

a level English lit crisis here

So I'm in a very sticky situation.
My teacher predicted me a B for ucas and I'm currently at a low C/D. Whenever i say to her I'm really worried for English can I get a B she says yes dw you'll be fine u have loads of time-she said this last week. I find out today that she said to my form teacher that Shes worried I wont be able to get a B.
Wth do I do?my teachers at this point r lying straight to my face giving me false hope. I need at least a B and realistically I haven't started revising properly for English except doing weekly essay which aren't v useful as I'm writing nonsense all the time. What do i do?ive legit got hardly any notes and I don't know how to revise English lit and I need at least a b?what do I do?someone help me...is it possible?
Original post by Api00
My teacher predicted me a B for ucas and I'm currently at a low C/D. Whenever i say to her I'm really worried for English can I get a B she says yes dw you'll be fine u have loads of time-she said this last week. I find out today that she said to my form teacher that Shes worried I wont be able to get a B.
Wth do I do?my teachers at this point r lying straight to my face giving me false hope. I need at least a B and realistically I haven't started revising properly for English except doing weekly essay which aren't v useful as I'm writing nonsense all the time. What do i do?ive legit got hardly any notes and I don't know how to revise English lit and I need at least a b?what do I do?someone help me...is it possible?

Year 12 or 13?

Why dont you have any notes?

How much work have you done?

You need to know your texts.
Make notes, plot , character, themes, playwrights intentions.
Practice essays of all types on the exam.
Learn to write essays and use mark schemes.

You can improve, but it makes me wonder what you have been doing until now?
You can only blame teachers so much.
Reply 2
You need to purchase the relevant study guides eg Connell guides or Phillip Allan.Someone else suggested www litcharts.Yes you can still do it but need to get making those notes using the study guides now.Leave the essay writing and get to grips with the themes,language and characters of texts you are studying.Exam board specific may be useful in pinpointing what your board is looking for.Jot down relevant quotes as you go and learn them. Research and hard work is the only answer here.I would consider taking your latest couple of essays back to your teacher and ask specifically what you would need to do to go up a grade.Nothing to lose by asking.Do this before Easter holidays.There are other threads asking similar questions on here so you could have a look at some of those but its pretty basic what needs doing here.

Original post by Api00
I think balance is key here, and you do have a lot of time before now and the exam to improve. So I wouldn’t panic!

Every work you study will have a certain number of themes, it’s worth learning the themes for each novel (and if you exam board requires it), memorising the relevant critic quotes. (Litcharts is excellent for the basic themes)!

You also need to have memorised the key quotations and characters (again, I reccomend LitCharts).

Once you have those cracked I would go back to practice exams. Exam practice is absolutely crucial and was found to be key to the success of the highest achieving students!

Good luck!
Reply 4
I would have been in the same position as you if i carried on with A levels and went into A2. I left English revision so late and was revising for my other 2 subjects and my Original plan was revise and catch up with AS content in the 2 months break but i got sick and it made the work 1000x harder for me. In the end i enrolled for A2 and was thinking about whether i should carry on but for the first time in my life i decided that health is a priority.
Reply 5
Year 13...
Okay I have got notes but I don't have confidence in them.
&not a lot of work tbh iknow it's bad..
&im not blaming my teachers but it's sad to give me false hope then lie to my face.
Original post by 999tigger
Year 12 or 13?

Why dont you have any notes?

How much work have you done?

You need to know your texts.
Make notes, plot , character, themes, playwrights intentions.
Practice essays of all types on the exam.
Learn to write essays and use mark schemes.

You can improve, but it makes me wonder what you have been doing until now?
You can only blame teachers so much.
Reply 6
Okay am I just meant learn everything in the revision guide? I use litcharts but it's a bit basic
Original post by Scotney
You need to purchase the relevant study guides eg Connell guides or Phillip Allan.Someone else suggested www litcharts.Yes you can still do it but need to get making those notes using the study guides now.Leave the essay writing and get to grips with the themes,language and characters of texts you are studying.Exam board specific may be useful in pinpointing what your board is looking for.Jot down relevant quotes as you go and learn them. Research and hard work is the only answer here.I would consider taking your latest couple of essays back to your teacher and ask specifically what you would need to do to go up a grade.Nothing to lose by asking.Do this before Easter holidays.There are other threads asking similar questions on here so you could have a look at some of those but its pretty basic what needs doing here.
Reply 7
Okay, thank you so much! I'll focus a lot on English the next 2 weeks as I have to go in the Easter holidays to sit practice papers for both the papers I'd sit for a level so like It's a real exam. Can't lie and say I'm not worrridn
Original post by henry1999
I think balance is key here, and you do have a lot of time before now and the exam to improve. So I wouldn’t panic!

Every work you study will have a certain number of themes, it’s worth learning the themes for each novel (and if you exam board requires it), memorising the relevant critic quotes. (Litcharts is excellent for the basic themes)!

You also need to have memorised the key quotations and characters (again, I reccomend LitCharts).

Once you have those cracked I would go back to practice exams. Exam practice is absolutely crucial and was found to be key to the success of the highest achieving students!

Good luck!
Reply 8
Awww that's so sad. What r u doing now
Original post by idontkn
I would have been in the same position as you if i carried on with A levels and went into A2. I left English revision so late and was revising for my other 2 subjects and my Original plan was revise and catch up with AS content in the 2 months break but i got sick and it made the work 1000x harder for me. In the end i enrolled for A2 and was thinking about whether i should carry on but for the first time in my life i decided that health is a priority.
Original post by Api00
Year 13...
&im not blaming my teachers but it's sad to give me false hope then lie to my face.

You need to start taking responsibility for it. Stop feeling sorrt for yourself and focus on using the time you have left to the maximum.

The person in charge of revision and when to start is you. Perhaps the teacher thinks you are capable and have done more work than you actually have. the teacher doesnt sit the exam for you, so you should realise you are on your own and should be looking at grades from marked work and those against the mark scheme.

Litcharts is for GCSE, but they are good. If you think they are basic, then at least your knowledge is greater than that which is better than nothing.

You can either get A level revision books or you can practice essays. I would do plans rather than full essays. I would do 2 a day, which gives you the chance to do 50. If you compare v mark scheme you can get an idea where the extra marks are to get you from C to B. You just need a small consistent improvement.

Its a balance between improving your underlying subject knowledge v improving essay writing skill. I would go for 33/67.
Reply 10
Okay thank you so much!needed that!
false
Original post by idontkn

I didnt enrol for any course, i just left altogether at 17. Right now i am looking at jobs and working full time and maybe one day when i am well enough i will go back to studying.
Very good advice 999tigger.

Original post by 999tigger
You need to start taking responsibility for it. Stop feeling sorrt for yourself and focus on using the time you have left to the maximum.

The person in charge of revision and when to start is you. Perhaps the teacher thinks you are capable and have done more work than you actually have. the teacher doesnt sit the exam for you, so you should realise you are on your own and should be looking at grades from marked work and those against the mark scheme.

Litcharts is for GCSE, but they are good. If you think they are basic, then at least your knowledge is greater than that which is better than nothing.

You can either get A level revision books or you can practice essays. I would do plans rather than full essays. I would do 2 a day, which gives you the chance to do 50. If you compare v mark scheme you can get an idea where the extra marks are to get you from C to B. You just need a small consistent improvement.

Its a balance between improving your underlying subject knowledge v improving essay writing skill. I would go for 33/67.

Original post by Api00
Year 13...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending