The Student Room Group

Option modudules for graduate medicine

Hiya, so I want to study graduate medicine and am currently doing my undergraduate in biomedical sciences. They’ve allowed to to pick an option module for second year. These are the following options:
A language (I would most likely pick German)
Nutrition
Pharmacology and physiology
Biochemistry

What option do you think would maximise my chance of getting into grad medicine ? Thank you!
Original post by imann
Hiya, so I want to study graduate medicine and am currently doing my undergraduate in biomedical sciences. They’ve allowed to to pick an option module for second year. These are the following options:
A language (I would most likely pick German)
Nutrition
Pharmacology and physiology
Biochemistry

What option do you think would maximise my chance of getting into grad medicine ? Thank you!

The one you will enjoy the most and do best in. Individual modules don’t matter for medicine, just overall degree classification.
As above, they don't care what specific modules you've done normally, so none will necessary be better. Usually getting a high classification is going to be the most important factor, so consider which will help you get nearer (or over) a 1st.

That said, anecdotally one of medic friends from the US (where all medicine is grad entry) said he always wished he'd done more physiology in undergrad to make the medicine course easier. However the format of UK medical degrees may not be exactly the same, so it may not be as relevant (also he may have just specifically found physiology harder than other aspects of his med degree). US biology majors tend to not have as much physiology as Biomedical Science courses in the UK too, so you may well have done more than he did already anyway :tongue:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply