The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

European and International Studies (French)

Does anyone currently take this course?

I'm not able to find a huge deal of information on it online, and I'm curious to learn a bit more.
Reply 1
Oh. And is it better, worse, or equivalent to taking 'Politics and French'? (in terms of employability and reputation of the degree, career options, etc)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone currently take this course?

I'm not able to find a huge deal of information on it online, and I'm curious to learn a bit more.

Hi there,

I've contact the lead department, which is the Department of Politics and International Relations, to see if there's a student you can hear from about the course and will let you know when I hear back from them. In the meantime, European and International Studies (French) students study 50% in the Department of Politics and International Relations and 50% in the School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures. During your third year, you'll spend a year of study and/or work in a European country that speaks French. On the Politics and International Relations side, you'll take courses in European politics and foreign policy, but also have a choice of other courses in politics and international relations.

Susana :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

I've contact the lead department, which is the Department of Politics and International Relations, to see if there's a student you can hear from about the course and will let you know when I hear back from them. In the meantime, European and International Studies (French) students study 50% in the Department of Politics and International Relations and 50% in the School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures. During your third year, you'll spend a year of study and/or work in a European country that speaks French. On the Politics and International Relations side, you'll take courses in European politics and foreign policy, but also have a choice of other courses in politics and international relations.

Thank you Susana. Hopefully you can help soon!
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you Susana. Hopefully you can help soon!

Hi there,

Current European and International Studies (Italian) student Katie has kindly written the below for you.

"I really love this course. I think it provides a perfectly rounded balance between politics and more cultural courses. The core of the politics side is the study of the European Union which is incredibly interesting (especially in this political climate!) and you of course get to choose two or three more politics modules of your choice. The language side is great as on top of the language classes you can choose to study things like French cinema or literature, which provide great insight into French culture.

The year abroad is amazing (I’m on mine currently) as there is no better way to learn a language fluently. I never thought I’d be able to debate politics for hours on end with a bunch of Italians over a glass (or three) of wine without slipping into English but after 6 months here in Italy it seems to be my main occupation! The same will go for French. I actually grew up in France so if you have any further questions on specific places I can help out. I’d recommend Strasbourg for the EU connection and the high quality of life there (I have quite a few friends from high school who ended up there and I love visiting). It’s a bit difficult to summarize three years of my life without any specific questions so do get in touch, I’d be happy to send over some examples of class notes or essays we have written in the past.

I hope this is helpful!"

If you'd like Katie's contact details, I'd be happy to PM these to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending