The Student Room Group

First choice university? Advice needed!

Hey Guys, I wonder if you can help me?

I’m on my late 20’s and due to start University in September this year, and have been offered places at my two top choices University of Brighton and Bristol (University of the West of England) to study Illustration. I’m thrilled with the offers (unconditional at Brighton and conditional at Uwe on the basis that I pass my current foundation course).

I have to decide by the 1st of May, which is fast approaching and I’m having a really tough time deciding which to mark as my Firm choice.

I’ve always wanted to go to both, I live closer to Brighton, so that would help with homesickness and seeing loved ones, however I’m in love with both cities. Due to locality, I have been able to visit Brighton more over the past decade, so I am more familiar with it, however I used to visit Bristol over 10 years ago, periodically... and am not as familiar with it now.

I appreciate both cities will offer plenty of growth, socially, creatively and culturally, they are also both very liberal which appeals to me and have a good music/culture scene. I am slightly put off by the size of Bristol and the fact I’m not as familiar, as well as the higher living and accommodation costs.

My interview at Brighton was a bit strange, and I have not been able to find as much information on the course beyond their website. Whereas Bristol Uwe felt more welcoming and the facilities seemed nicer, they also have more info on social media on their current student and graduate work.

Looking at uni stats and reviews, they seem more favourable for Bristol, I’m that graduates seem to get into creative jobs quicker, have higher satisfaction for the course and have a gold rating, whereas Brighton are silver and have mixed reviews. People also seem to achieve higher pass rates and distinctions at Bristol UWE.

The accommodation at Brighton is a bit iffy, and not guaranteed... Bristol have lots of halls in the city centre. The campus at Brighton is in the middle of the city close to local amenities and travel too, whereas Bristol’s art campus is set on the outskirts in a bubble where I would not be close to amenities.

Does anybody have experience of either, or an idea of what I should choose? I’ve tried flipping coins but I still can’t decide, I’ve outweighed the pros and cons and still no closer to deciding. I am more keen on the Bristol course but I’m a bit scared of it because of the distance and I suffer from anxiety too which is adding to the stress of it al! I worry if I’d crumble in such a big city, but also don’t want to choose the wrong course!

Thank you if you have read it all!

TLDR: help me decide which City to move to for university, offers from Brighton and Bristol Uwe... love both cities but in turmoil as have to choose by May 1st! Brighton closer Bristol further away and intimidatingly big, but a fresh start may be good?
obviously its up to you, but i think the more you know about the course the better. If Bristol is giving you more information, and its the course you like the look of then go for it! Even though its not a place your familiar with, most students joining with you wont be familiar with it either, and being in a uni environment means you can explore the city with new people :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by FuegoDilla
My interview at Brighton was a bit strange, and I have not been able to find as much information on the course beyond their website. Whereas Bristol Uwe felt more welcoming and the facilities seemed nicer, they also have more info on social media on their current student and graduate work.

Looking at uni stats and reviews, they seem more favourable for Bristol, I’m that graduates seem to get into creative jobs quicker, have higher satisfaction for the course and have a gold rating, whereas Brighton are silver and have mixed reviews. People also seem to achieve higher pass rates and distinctions at Bristol UWE.

I think these two paragraphs say it all to be honest with you. In my opinion the course and its prospects are the most important thing to consider when going to University.

I got a similar vibe from Brighton through research and correspondence for this year too. So much so I pretty much discounted it as soon as they gave me an offer.

Whilst I don't know UWE itself, the area it is in has all you need amenities wise and good bus access to the centre and car access to the M4 and M5.
Hi

Just to let you know, accommodation at Brighton is guaranteed. You need to meet the eligibility criteria in the allocation policy but if you do, you are guaranteed university accommodation.

Whichever you choose, please make sure to get in contact with the university support services to help keep that anxiety in check!

You can chat to our students through our unibuddies system. There are a few people on there on arts courses.

I know you said you're familiar with Brighton, but you might still find this post useful - it's got lots of info about the city.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with.

Shiv
Accommodation Services

I’m on my late 20’s and due to start University in September this year, and have been offered places at my two top choices University of Brighton and Bristol (University of the West of England) to study Illustration. I’m thrilled with the offers (unconditional at Brighton and conditional at Uwe on the basis that I pass my current foundation course).

I have to decide by the 1st of May, which is fast approaching and I’m having a really tough time deciding which to mark as my Firm choice.

I’ve always wanted to go to both, I live closer to Brighton, so that would help with homesickness and seeing loved ones, however I’m in love with both cities. Due to locality, I have been able to visit Brighton more over the past decade, so I am more familiar with it, however I used to visit Bristol over 10 years ago, periodically... and am not as familiar with it now.

I appreciate both cities will offer plenty of growth, socially, creatively and culturally, they are also both very liberal which appeals to me and have a good music/culture scene. I am slightly put off by the size of Bristol and the fact I’m not as familiar, as well as the higher living and accommodation costs.

The accommodation at Brighton is a bit iffy, and not guaranteed... Bristol have lots of halls in the city centre. The campus at Brighton is in the middle of the city close to local amenities and travel too, whereas Bristol’s art campus is set on the outskirts in a bubble where I would not be close to amenities.

Does anybody have experience of either, or an idea of what I should choose? I’ve tried flipping coins but I still can’t decide, I’ve outweighed the pros and cons and still no closer to deciding. I am more keen on the Bristol course but I’m a bit scared of it because of the distance and I suffer from anxiety too which is adding to the stress of it al! I worry if I’d crumble in such a big city, but also don’t want to choose the wrong course!

TLDR: help me decide which City to move to for university, offers from Brighton and Bristol Uwe... love both cities but in turmoil as have to choose by May 1st! Brighton closer Bristol further away and intimidatingly big, but a fresh start may be good?

Try writing out the pros and cons, and put a point system for how important each is to you. Then add up the points. It sounds like Bristol would be the winner!
Reply 5
I know it's not much help but I like Brighton as a city more as well.
Fairly cheap and decent buses. Although seems the homeless issue is getting worse.

Visit both maybe make a day trip of it.
Hi there FuegoDilla!

You've had some excellent advice in your replies and as I attended uni as a mature student, I can only add to the advice you've been given.

I visited 5 universities before choosing, and went on Open days and also by myself to get a "feel" of the place. For me I found the university I chose just felt "right". It's a difficult feeling to explain, but it seems to me you've done plenty of research on both options and you're moving towards the one you want.

Have you contacted student support at Bristol University? They maybe able to alleviate any concerns you have about moving and studying as a mature student.

Please feel free to message any further questions we may be able to help with

Fiona :horse:

(edited 5 years ago)
When you flip a coin you already have your answer, you will be rooting for one or the other. My personal advice is to go where you feel most comfortable, you will be there for a long time.
Reply 8
Original post by University of Brighton Accommodation
Hi

Just to let you know, accommodation at Brighton is guaranteed. You need to meet the eligibility criteria in the allocation policy but if you do, you are guaranteed university accommodation.

Whichever you choose, please make sure to get in contact with the university support services to help keep that anxiety in check!

You can chat to our students through our unibuddies system. There are a few people on there on arts courses.

I know you said you're familiar with Brighton, but you might still find this post useful - it's got lots of info about the city.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with.

Shiv
Accommodation Services

Thanks for your reply, I will certianly have a look at those links! I think I worded it wrong, I meant to say that living in Halls of Residence is not guaranteed, and I have spoken to a lot of students that have had to live in a shared house during their first year. I had always prepared to live at Halls, and consider them more secure, as well as prefer the idea of having my own en-suite as opposed to a shared bathroom. This is my main concern when it comes to accomodation, because all other universities I have applied to guarantee a space in Halls! I wonder if you can advise on this further?
Reply 9
Original post by nintysixthousand
obviously its up to you, but i think the more you know about the course the better. If Bristol is giving you more information, and its the course you like the look of then go for it! Even though its not a place your familiar with, most students joining with you wont be familiar with it either, and being in a uni environment means you can explore the city with new people :smile:

Thank you for replying! I agree with your advice, the act that my unfamiliarity will be shared with other students traveling from further afield definitely assures me. It's a difficult decision now because I spent a few days in Brighton last week and met current students, who informed me more about the course and I got a chance to ask more questions. This was helpful and I fell back in love with the city, but still have reservations about living in Bristol in comparison... although the course does look better suited!
Reply 10
Original post by KanyesVest
When you flip a coin you already have your answer, you will be rooting for one or the other. My personal advice is to go where you feel most comfortable, you will be there for a long time.

Thank you for your reply! I think that's a good way of figuring it out, the thing is i've done it so many times and feel no differently!
I recently visited brighton for a few days and fell back in love with the city so know I want to live there, also spent time speaking to the Lecturer and students, which was helpful. I'm still not sure about the course but feel the place is better for me, it really is comfort of living in Brighton VS potentially better course and discomfort of living in Bristol at this point!
Reply 11
Original post by KanyesVest

Thank you for your reply! I think that's a good way of figuring it out, the thing is i've done it so many times and feel no differently!

I recently visited brighton for a few days and fell back in love with the city so know I want to live there, also spent time speaking to the Lecturer and students, which was helpful. I'm still not sure about the course but feel the place is better for me, it really is comfort of living in Brighton VS potentially better course and discomfort of living in Bristol at this point!
Reply 12
Original post by nintysixthousand

Thanks for your reply! I visited Brighton for a few days and had a chance to ask students and lecturers questions, which was helpful. I realised i'm really comfortable there, although still feel the course may be a bit less 'me' than Bristol. It's helped somewhat but I wonder if I should just go for it and maybe I will then warm to the course!
Reply 13
Original post by adam277
I know it's not much help but I like Brighton as a city more as well.
Fairly cheap and decent buses. Although seems the homeless issue is getting worse.

Visit both maybe make a day trip of it.

Thanks for your reply! I stayed in Brighton for a few days and managed to ask students and lecturers questions, I'm definitely in love with the city and more comfortable there. I'm not sure I will honestly get another chance to visit Bristol before the offer deadline now which is a shame, maybe I should just go for it?
Reply 14
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Try writing out the pros and cons, and put a point system for how important each is to you. Then add up the points. It sounds like Bristol would be the winner!

Thank you for your reply! I definitely need to do this again, having re-visited Brighton last week and speaking to Lecturers and Students, It might sway me a bit more.
Reply 15
Original post by Molseh
I think these two paragraphs say it all to be honest with you. In my opinion the course and its prospects are the most important thing to consider when going to University.

I got a similar vibe from Brighton through research and correspondence for this year too. So much so I pretty much discounted it as soon as they gave me an offer.

Whilst I don't know UWE itself, the area it is in has all you need amenities wise and good bus access to the centre and car access to the M4 and M5.

Thank you for your reply! It's helpful to know you felt the same! I since re-visited Brighton for a few days and met with students and lecturers to ask them questions, this helped. I feel it really is between 'comfort of living in Brighton as I love the city, and close to london - and unfamiliarity of Bristol with a course more up my street. I have to have a little think about it. It can't be all that bad I guess?
Reply 16
Thank you for replying to my post! Your insight as a mature student is helpful!

Hmm it's tough to say because i'm in love with Brighton as a city, and given the fact I know it and will be living there for 3+ years, It fills me with more confidence. That said, the vibe does feel different at Brighton, but i'm sure enough people graduate and end up in jobs, their pass rate can't be 0. I just think it might be too much of a gamble to go as far as Bristol, especially as i've got anxiety, so it might send me into more of an anxious mess when i'm there! I will think about contacting the uni for questions though, that's a good suggestion!

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there FuegoDilla!

You've had some excellent advice in your replies and as I attended uni as a mature student, I can only add to the advice you've been given.

I visited 5 universities before choosing, and went on Open days and also by myself to get a "feel" of the place. For me I found the university I chose just felt "right". It's a difficult feeling to explain, but it seems to me you've done plenty of research on both options and you're moving towards the one you want.

Have you contacted student support at Bristol University? They maybe able to alleviate any concerns you have about moving and studying as a mature student.

Please feel free to message any further questions we may be able to help with

Hi there,

No problem on the advice as a mature student, I know it can feel a bit daunting at times!

Definitely contact Brighton and explain your situation and ask about pastoral care and any support with your anxiety. The earlier you contact them before starting your course, the earlier any support systems can be implemented and be ready should you need them. Hopefully you won't but a good support network is always good to have!

Good luck

Thank you for replying to my post! Your insight as a mature student is helpful!

Hmm it's tough to say because i'm in love with Brighton as a city, and given the fact I know it and will be living there for 3+ years, It fills me with more confidence. That said, the vibe does feel different at Brighton, but i'm sure enough people graduate and end up in jobs, their pass rate can't be 0. I just think it might be too much of a gamble to go as far as Bristol, especially as i've got anxiety, so it might send me into more of an anxious mess when i'm there! I will think about contacting the uni for questions though, that's a good suggestion!

Thanks again :smile:
I see what you mean now! Only 10% of our accommodation for first years is in shared houses. So looking at it simply you've got a 90% chance of getting halls. However, we also take applicants' choices into consideration so depending on how many people put houses as their first choice, your chances of getting allocated a house if you haven't chosen it are actually much lower than 10%.

Thanks for your reply, I will certianly have a look at those links! I think I worded it wrong, I meant to say that living in Halls of Residence is not guaranteed, and I have spoken to a lot of students that have had to live in a shared house during their first year. I had always prepared to live at Halls, and consider them more secure, as well as prefer the idea of having my own en-suite as opposed to a shared bathroom. This is my main concern when it comes to accomodation, because all other universities I have applied to guarantee a space in Halls! I wonder if you can advise on this further?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending