The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got 3/4 rejections so far, waiting for the last one. I know it’s going to be bad news. What are other people’s plans?
Original post by Overthinking
Got 3/4 rejections so far, waiting for the last one. I know it’s going to be bad news. What are other people’s plans?

Considering all you need is one offer, I absolutely wouldn't give up yet if I were you.
Sometimes your own perception is misleading.
Original post by arigziegler
Considering all you need is one offer, I absolutely wouldn't give up yet if I were you.
Sometimes your own perception is misleading.

I see you everywhere lol

on a good note, very true. Thought after my first rejection everything was gonna go downhill lol totally threw my confidence.
Original post by alstudent_2019
I see you everywhere lol

on a good note, very true. Thought after my first rejection everything was gonna go downhill lol totally threw my confidence.

Same! but now that I have an offer the rejection just doesn't matter and I couldn't care less about it :colondollar:
Original post by arigziegler
Same! but now that I have an offer the rejection just doesn't matter and I couldn't care less about it :colondollar:

manchester i'm assuming??
Reply 25
Got rejected peeps from uni of Brum :frown: would have been my firm. Still waiting to hear from my other 3. Ngl I feel hopeless
Reply 26
Now that so many medical schools have sent out all their offers, there are lots of very good applicants with no offers. It appears that there are now 4 options:

1 - Keep trying for 2019 - through UCAS Extra, clearing, waiting lists, listening out for any med schools informally re-opening applications;

2 - Take a year out, work out how to make your application stronger and/or apply more strategically next time;

3 - Do a medical related degree and apply as a graduate or try to transfer at the end of the first year;

4 - Give up on medicine and try something else!

What are people planning to do? Anybody with advice/experience to share for people in this situation?
I applied for medicine and have been unsuccessful. I have my back up pharmacy. But is clearing realistic or is it just a stab in the dark with medicine. If i get the grades will they call me for an interview?
I need some advice thanks.
a few places are open now in UCAS Extra, so that might be worth a look? you would have to reject your backup to do it though :/
Original post by sweet pearl
I applied for medicine and have been unsuccessful. I have my back up pharmacy. But is clearing realistic or is it just a stab in the dark with medicine. If i get the grades will they call me for an interview?
I need some advice thanks.
As above, look at what is available in UCAS Extra. Lancaster Uni have announced that they have some more medicine places available? You could give Admissions a call if you have the predicted grades, to discuss your chances of being accepted if you were to apply via Extra
Ok I will do that thank you very much. Will they ask me to come for an interview.
Original post by harrysbar
As above, look at what is available in UCAS Extra. Lancaster Uni have announced that they have some more medicine places available? You could give Admissions a call if you have the predicted grades, to discuss your chances of being accepted if you were to apply via Extra
Ok I will do that thank you very much. Will they ask me to come for an interview.

I don't know, just give them a call :smile:
I don't know, just give them a call :smile:

I've just checked and they require the BMAT which I didn't take unfortunately. So I'll just keep looking thanks you for your help😊
I've just checked and they require the BMAT which I didn't take unfortunately. So I'll just keep looking thanks you for your help😊

Aw, sorry to hear that
Aw, sorry to hear that

It's ok. Do you think clearing would be an idea. I know that St George's do clearing. But they might not this year.
It's ok. Do you think clearing would be an idea. I know that St George's do clearing. But they might not this year.

It's possible there will be a small number of vacancies in Clearing. St George's was last year, and other unis that sometimes pop up in Clearing are Leicester and Sheffield. But who knows which unis will be in it this year?
It's possible there will be a small number of vacancies in Clearing. St George's was last year, and other unis that sometimes pop up in Clearing are Leicester and Sheffield. But who knows which unis will be in it this year?

Yes that is true. Oh well I'll have to wait and see.
Can someone advise how clearing works? Thank u
Reply 38
Original post by TCL
Now that so many medical schools have sent out all their offers, there are lots of very good applicants with no offers. It appears that there are now 4 options:

1 - Keep trying for 2019 - through UCAS Extra, clearing, waiting lists, listening out for any med schools informally re-opening applications;

2 - Take a year out, work out how to make your application stronger and/or apply more strategically next time;

3 - Do a medical related degree and apply as a graduate or try to transfer at the end of the first year;

What are people planning to do? Anybody with advice/experience to share for people in this situation?

About to be a graduate from SGUL, will be applying for medicine 2020 entry. Would definitely not recommend option 3. GEP is ridiculously competitive and tough, and the 5 year course is ridiculously expensive. The work schedule of a biomed aiming to transfer is crazy, and is worse than medics, possibly even worse than GEP medics. 90% of your course is trying to get into medicine, so it's super competitive for 3 years, and you're banking everything on being able to get in. If you don't, you're stuck doing a job you probably don't want to do that has massive competition for jobs. Assuming you don't get onto a 4 year course, you're looking at 20-25k out of pocket, plus loans, plus the loans associated with the first degree.

I'd definitely spend a year strengthening your application, doing resits, extra A levels, etc, rather than jump into a course you don't want to do for the vague hope of getting one of a handful of graduate places.
Original post by TCL

I’ve been rejected by my 4 choices (3 post-interview, 1 didn’t do interviews). For now I’m just going to keep trying for 2019 entry through clearing, however getting in this way is probably very unlikely. If I meet the normal offer grades I’ll phone up the universities on results day to see if there is any available places on the course. If this also doesn’t work then I will take a gap year and hopefully strengthen my application and most importantly my interview skills!

Good luck to everyone!
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest