The Student Room Group

IGCSE sciences vs new spec GCSE sciences

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advise regarding GCSE/IGCSE choices I need to make for the next academic year. I am an adult learner, in full time work, working towards getting 5 GCSEs in order to go on to A-Level. I am finishing my IGCSE English and GCSE Maths this week.

I am planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the 17/18 academic year but I don't know which course to take, IGCSE or GCSE.

My dilemma is IGCSE are universally thought of as harder, but the GCSE specifications are changing this year, so I will be apart of the first intake on the new specification if I chose GCSE. I have taken the new GCSE Maths spec this year and it's been difficult because of the sheer amount of material I had to cover, but mainly because there is a big unknown about what to expect when the exams come around and what the likely grade boundaries will be.

Are the new spec GCSEs now as difficult as the IGCSEs?

How have the new spec GCSEs been received by students and teachers alike?

Am I correct in stating the IGCSEs are harder or is that a bit of a myth?

If anyone has experience with the IGCSE sciences vs the new spec GCSE sciences or could offer me some advise on the pros and cons of my options I could be really grateful.

-Ben

N.B. I realise the topic of IGCSE vs GCSE has been posted to death on this and many other forums but my question is specifically geared towards the IGCSE vs new spec GCSEs.
Igcse is easier than new spec trust me
i do normal gcse english and i am required to learn 15 poems 2 plays and a book whereas igcse english is 1 book and coursework
if you do history or geo then igcse is easier but i dunno bout science sorry xx

sorry for writing in caps im to lazy to put it to normal :')
Original post by gcsesgonnakillme
Igcse is easier than new spec trust me
i do normal gcse english and i am required to learn 15 poems 2 plays and a book whereas igcse english is 1 book and coursework
if you do history or geo then igcse is easier but i dunno bout science sorry xx

sorry for writing in caps im to lazy to put it to normal :')

I'm sorry I know this is late. But who the hell told you IGCSE is 1 book and coursework? I'm doing IGCSE lit and we have 15 poems, 2 plays and a novel as well. They're both more or less same. History syllabi is vastly different, but geo is same. IGCSE math is slightly tougher but sciences are more or less similar.
Reply 3
Yeah igcse isn't hard at all especially for science..
Some people just read about it on the internet and then make that assumption..

Quick Reply

Latest