The Student Room Group

HMRC - Criminal Investigator 2019

Scroll to see replies

Might be a silly question, would we be paid for all of the training? As in you don't just start your salary from qualified, but you are paid from the start of training?
Reply 21
u get paid from day one so don't worry as the training is part of our role , I'm an internal working as same grade as this but in FIS they pay extra allowance which is the bonus :smile: that's probably the reason most of the internal guys applied for it , if u apply for multiple location you then only need to do SJT for each application.
Thanks Ethy!! What’s the extra allowance about? Are we all entitled if successful and how much is it?
Reply 23
Can you tell us more about what the role involves. Is it quite varied and interesting? Do you have to travel to different locations? Do you have to work weekends? etc, etc. Any insight will be quite helpful.

I'm guessing the internal candidates have an edge over external candidates.
Original post by Ehty
u get paid from day one so don't worry as the training is part of our role , I'm an internal working as same grade as this but in FIS they pay extra allowance which is the bonus :smile: that's probably the reason most of the internal guys applied for it , if u apply for multiple location you then only need to do SJT for each application.
Allowances are paid day 1, £3.3k for base which everyone gets, upper tiers is dependant on you wanting it and then being put on a wait list. (Not everyone wants to do extra 250 / 350 hours, as well as be on call and called out at night)

Work can be very varied, depending on what team you join. It can be a small business case or part of a larger investigation team investigating a wealthy individual or a big business. You could go out every week or you could go out once every fortnight to do visits, take statements, go to court ect, dependant on what team you join.

Training is all paid for. A foundation course will be given to all, roughly a 6-8 week residential course to bring everyone up to speed and to prepare you for the job ahead.
Reply 25
A 6 - 8 week residential course?? Does that mean we have to be away from home for all that time? What about people that can't do residential due to family circumstances? Do you know if they make allowances for that, or it's all or nothing.

Original post by helpingHand91
Allowances are paid day 1, £3.3k for base which everyone gets, upper tiers is dependant on you wanting it and then being put on a wait list. (Not everyone wants to do extra 250 / 350 hours, as well as be on call and called out at night)

Work can be very varied, depending on what team you join. It can be a small business case or part of a larger investigation team investigating a wealthy individual or a big business. You could go out every week or you could go out once every fortnight to do visits, take statements, go to court ect, dependant on what team you join.

Training is all paid for. A foundation course will be given to all, roughly a 6-8 week residential course to bring everyone up to speed and to prepare you for the job ahead.
You'll leave on the Sunday evening (To HMRC designated training location - It was a mixture of Lincoln and Newcastle for me but it can be all in one location) and go back home on the Friday evening. There will be a week where it will be back in the office where you are based so it's not completely away.

For those who can't do the residential then I think it is the end of the road. You can't do the job if you can't do the residential training.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm pretty sure HMRC will have options in place for those that can't attend residential training taking into account different individual circumstances. Oh well, we'll wait and see.
Original post by helpingHand91
You'll leave on the Sunday evening (To HMRC designated training location - It was a mixture of Lincoln and Newcastle for me but it can be all in one location) and go back home on the Friday evening. There will be a week where it will be back in the office where you are based so it's not completely away.

For those who can't do the residential then I think it is the end of the road. You can't do the job if you can't do the residential training.
The residential bit for most (all?) training at HMRC isn't required. If the location is close enough for you to travel daily, you could do that.
Reply 29
Ah, ok thanks for the info. It's reassuring to know this.
Original post by OnceUponAStudent
The residential bit for most (all?) training at HMRC isn't required. If the location is close enough for you to travel daily, you could do that.
I wonder how many people applied for the 160 posts.
Anyone applied for Nottingham? Looking at the timeline within the candidate pack they are planning interviews for April - so I can’t see them taking too long to communicate with successful candidates.
Also do they take into account the scores from all of the online tests of just the SJT?
I applied for Nottingham! Current status is under review so fingers crossed!
Original post by SweetRobin
Anyone applied for Nottingham? Looking at the timeline within the candidate pack they are planning interviews for April - so I can’t see them taking too long to communicate with successful candidates.
Also do they take into account the scores from all of the online tests of just the SJT?
Great stuff - good luck 🤞🏻
Original post by whittakerm
I applied for Nottingham! Current status is under review so fingers crossed!
Reply 34
Status changed from 'application on hold' to 'being reviewed', so fingers crossed.
From looking at threads from previous campaigns it seems the SJT score is the most important.
Thank you, it would seem that they weight that one more than the others on most campaigns.
Original post by objectpermanence
From looking at threads from previous campaigns it seems the SJT score is the most important.
The comments to this blog post are really worrying to me.
Cool.

Concerns have been raised that HMRC, which has more than 60,000 staff nationwide, is failing to deal with a culture of bullying and harassment. The latest staff survey results show that 14% of HMRC’s workforce say they have suffered bullying and harassment higher than the civil service average of 11%.

In November, HMRC launched a “respect at work” review chaired by a former John Lewis HR director, Laura Whyte, which is looking into procedures for dealing with bullying and harassment claims. It is understood the review was prompted by the Nellthorp case.

After being contacted by the Guardian, HMRC on Friday published the review’s report, which recommended an “urgent redesign of the grievance process” including more use of “mediation and early resolution”, among other changes.

It said the review did not find “any individual within HMRC who had confidence in the grievance process”. Staff felt they tolerated a lot of “low-level poor behaviours” not accepted in other workplaces, including swearing, breaching confidentiality and mocking colleagues.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/01/senior-hmrc-official-sacked-after-sexual-misconduct-claims
Reply 39
I wonder how long it will take them to review our applications...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending