The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh's reputation

Hi everyone,

How is the reputation of the University of Edinburgh? Is it considered a prestigious, well-known, and hard-to-get-into university?

How does it compare with the Universities of St Andrews, Glasgow, and Aberdeen?

Thank you very much.
For what subject?
In general yes it is prestigous and well-known and relatively hard to get into.
In comparison to Aberdeen I'd say overall it is better. I'd say relatively similar to Glasgow (potentially higher if anything) and I'd say St.Andrews is the best. But this will vary from subject to subject
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
For what subject?
In general yes it is prestigous and well-known and relatively hard to get into.
In comparison to Aberdeen I'd say overall it is better. I'd say relatively similar to Glasgow (potentially higher if anything) and I'd say St.Andrews is the best. But this will vary from subject to subject

Thank you for your opinion. I was only asking in general, no specific subject :smile:
Original post by ericchau
Thank you for your opinion. I was only asking in general, no specific subject :smile:

Reason I was asking because the subject can make quite a big difference
Reply 4

I second that.

There is a difference in teaching quality for a specific subject across these university. I.e Edinburgh does not fair well in engineering compared to Glasgow but it does well in literature, medicine and informatics, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by kenryou
There is a difference in teaching quality for a specific subject across these university. I.e Edinburgh does not fair well in engineering compared to Glasgow but it does well in literature, medicine and informatics, etc.

Thank you for your answer. Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
Reply 6

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I was looking at its Computer Science/ Data Science courses. Is it well-know in these subjects?
If you Google "best unis in the world for AI" you'll usually find Edinburgh there. No other Scottish unis make it to the lists.
Reply 8
Y
Thank you for your answer. Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?

Yes, I will say so. The curriculum prepares the student well by building a strong foundation in the beginning.
You can have a look of the curriculum here.
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/18_19_Archive_at_01-09-2018/dpt/utcmpsi.htm

I cannot find much information of the other universities, but if you do, I would suggest you to benchmark it with Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science. They are one of the best school for computer science program.
https://csd.cs.cmu.edu/academic/undergraduate/bachelors-curriculum-admitted-2018
Reply 9
Original post by Xanimede
If you Google "best unis in the world for AI" you'll usually find Edinburgh there. No other Scottish unis make it to the lists.

Thanks for sharing this. I find it very helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by kenryou
Y
Yes, I will say so. The curriculum prepares the student well by building a strong foundation in the beginning.
You can have a look of the curriculum here.
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/18_19_Archive_at_01-09-2018/dpt/utcmpsi.htm

I cannot find much information of the other universities, but if you do, I would suggest you to benchmark it with Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science. They are one of the best school for computer science program.
https://csd.cs.cmu.edu/academic/undergraduate/bachelors-curriculum-admitted-2018

Thank you for sharing very helpful information :smile:
If you ask such a question in the UofE subforum you are obviously going to receive a big number of biased feedbacks...
Anyway, to answer your questions:

Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
I would probably say it's one of the best universities in the UK for this subject.

Is it considered a prestigious (a), well-known (b), and hard-to-get-into (c) university?
(a) and (b) are much relative to your own definition of the terms used. UofE is well known as much as any other top 10 university in the UK, but it's surely not in the same league as MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Oxbridge, etc. I would say it's much closer to Bristol, Manchester and other such universities.
(c) mostly depends on your fee status. Sad but true. It's quite easy to get in as an international student, less so as RUK, and extremely hard as an EU one. To make a 'practical' example, I know of international and RUK students doing a fy course who managed to get an offer with 70%, whereas I got rejected having achieved a 90% and being told that despite my high results 'I didn't meet the right entry qualifications'. Note that a 20% difference is no joke.

I would say it's comparable to St Andrews and better than both Glasgow and Aberdeen. St Andrews might offer better teaching standards though since the university is much smaller.
Reply 12
Original post by 1Person
If you ask such a question in the UofE subforum you are obviously going to receive a big number of biased feedbacks...
Anyway, to answer your questions:

Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
I would probably say it's one of the best universities in the UK for this subject.

Is it considered a prestigious (a), well-known (b), and hard-to-get-into (c) university?
(a) and (b) are much relative to your own definition of the terms used. UofE is well known as much as any other top 10 university in the UK, but it's surely not in the same league as MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Oxbridge, etc. I would say it's much closer to Bristol, Manchester and other such universities.
(c) mostly depends on your fee status. Sad but true. It's quite easy to get in as an international student, less so as RUK, and extremely hard as an EU one. To make a 'practical' example, I know of international and RUK students doing a fy course who managed to get an offer with 70%, whereas I got rejected having achieved a 90% and being told that despite my high results 'I didn't meet the right entry qualifications'. Note that a 20% difference is no joke.

I would say it's comparable to St Andrews and better than both Glasgow and Aberdeen. St Andrews might offer better teaching standards though since the university is much smaller.

Thanks a lot for your informative answer! :smile:
Bump

All are 'Ancient' Universities with Edinburgh being the youngest but the most internationally recognized one. It's equal and the Oldest is St. Andrews (lowkey overrated because of royal alumni), then comes Glasgow, then last the University of Aberdeen. They're 500 years old. All great places. Rankings are also, generally, in that order. With the lowest ranking being Aberdeen in the top 150 around the world.
its* to my post above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending