Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Accommodation Guide 2018 - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by graciekb
Hi,

I'm thinking about applying for a shared room in Founder's Hall. What are the shared rooms like? Is it easy to get food and a place to shower from the shared rooms? What's life in Founder's going to be like?

Hi graciekb,

The only difference between a single and shared room in Founder's is the size of the room and having a roommate. Each roommate relationship is different so it's difficult to say how your experience may be. You'll live in single gendered corridors which have a number of shared bathrooms that are cleaned daily and a pantry that has a kettle, microwave, sink, toaster and fridge for lighter meals and snacks. While I didn't live in Founder's myself, my friends who did said that showering schedules don't clash so you'll always be able to find an available bathroom. Founder's is a catered hall so main meals should be eaten in the Founder's Dining Hall, where you'll receive a 50% discount on your meal.

One of our current students recently wrote a post on their experience of living in Founder's. You can read all about it here.

Susana :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 61
Hi,

A couple of questions:

Firstly, how high are the chances of getting one of your top three accommodation choices?

Secondly, how many rooms got to post-grad with George Eliot?

Thank you,
Cyann
Original post by CyannF
Hi,

A couple of questions:

Firstly, how high are the chances of getting one of your top three accommodation choices?

Thank you,
Cyann

Hi Cyann,

As it depends year on year, we are unable to say how likely it is to get your first preference. However, most students usually get one of their first three choices.

With regards to the split between postgraduate and undergraduate in our George Eliot accommodation, I have asked our Student Services team to confirm this and I will let you know once they have come back to me on this.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Reply 63
Thank you!

Another question (sorry!), with unconditional offers do they get their accommodation offer before May-ish time, or is it the same as conditional students?
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi Cyann,

As it depends year on year, we are unable to say how likely it is to get your first preference. However, most students usually get one of their first three choices.

With regards to the split between postgraduate and undergraduate in our George Eliot accommodation, I have asked our Student Services team to confirm this and I will let you know once they have come back to me on this.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Original post by CyannF
Thank you!

Another question (sorry!), with unconditional offers do they get their accommodation offer before May-ish time, or is it the same as conditional students?

Hi CyannF,

Accommodation applications are separate to your offer so all accommodation applications are equally considered if you apply for accommodation by 5 June 2019. If you apply before this date, you'll be allocated a room using our automated allocation process. This puts all of the applications received into a pot and assigns a randomly generated number to each of the applications to order them. The system then offers a room that best meets your chosen preferences as it reaches your application.

Please note that in order to apply for accommodation, you must hold a conditional firm or unconditional firm offer.

Reply 65
thank you!

Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi CyannF,

Accommodation applications are separate to your offer so all accommodation applications are equally considered if you apply for accommodation by 5 June 2019. If you apply before this date, you'll be allocated a room using our automated allocation process. This puts all of the applications received into a pot and assigns a randomly generated number to each of the applications to order them. The system then offers a room that best meets your chosen preferences as it reaches your application.

Please note that in order to apply for accommodation, you must hold a conditional firm or unconditional firm offer.

Original post by CyannF
Hi,

A couple of questions:

Thank you,
Cyann

Hi Cyann,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you regarding your second question. I've had to confirm this with our accommodation team, but roughly 30% of the rooms are allocated for postgraduate students.

Please let me know if there was anything else I can help you with.

Hi, just a few questions regarding the accommodation at RHUL.

Which accommodations are closest to the main campus?
Also, what would you recommend in terms of catered or self-catered accommodation?
Can you still eat at the dining hall if you choose to have self-catered?
I've heard some rumours that Kingswood is one of the worst out of the 6 options. Is this true?
Just out of interest, which would you say is your favourite accommodation and why?

I'm finding it very difficult to choose my accommodation in case you can't tell 😂

Thank you!
Original post by bogi_kurucz
Hi, just a few questions regarding the accommodation at RHUL.

Which accommodations are closest to the main campus?
Also, what would you recommend in terms of catered or self-catered accommodation?
Can you still eat at the dining hall if you choose to have self-catered?
I've heard some rumours that Kingswood is one of the worst out of the 6 options. Is this true?
Just out of interest, which would you say is your favourite accommodation and why?

I'm finding it very difficult to choose my accommodation in case you can't tell 😂

Thank you!

Hi bogi_kurucz,

Nearly all of our accommodation is on campus - only Kingswood, George Eliot and Penrose (postgraduate) aren't. George Eliot and Penrose are just across the road, so under a minute walk. Kingswood is a mile off campus and there is a free bus service that runs throughout the day, which takes 5-8 minutes.

Catered or self-catered is entirely your own preference. Some students like the freedom of being able to cook for themselves, others are much happier not having to worry about it. I lived in Founders and found being catered really helpful - it was one less thing to worry about and it meant that I always ate with friends. If you had dietary requirements on the other hand, it might be much more helpful to be able to cook your own food. Catered accommodation options do have pantries with a fridge, microwave, toaster etc., but no oven. If you choose to have self-catered you can still eat in the dining hall, but it will not be subsidized so you would pay more than a catered student.

Kingswood is by no means a bad option for halls! Plenty of students who live there enjoy being able to get off campus - my colleague Susana lived in Kingswood and really loved her time there.

Any current / past student you ask will probably be biased towards their own halls, as it's all down to personal preference at the end of the day. I'd recommend thinking about what's most important to you (own bathroom, freedom to cook for yourself, number of people you'll be living with...) and taking it from there. For me, I couldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to live in a castle for the year!

I hope this helps but please let us know if you have any more questions.

Holly :smile:
Hi, for the 38 week contracts for Founders does that mean clearing out at the end of each term? (Ive applied for band F and the offer I recived said its 38 weeks not 30 like on the website) :smile:
Original post by Georgina_Pridham
Hi, for the 38 week contracts for Founders does that mean clearing out at the end of each term? (Ive applied for band F and the offer I recived said its 38 weeks not 30 like on the website) :smile:

Hi Georgina_Pridham,

A 38 week contract allows you to stay in your room over the Christmas and Easter breaks without moving anything out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending