The Student Room Group

Got 3 out of 5 offers but don't like them

All of the decisions have came through on UCAS.

I got unconditionals to do French & Politics at Aberdeen, Stirling and Strathclyde. However, got rejected by Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I did not like Strathclyde at the open day and am pretty upset at the fact that I am now likely to end up there.

I went to Stirling's open day. It was OK but my dad had a low opinion of it, so I get the impression that he would be unhappy with me going there. Also, with it being a campus university and a significant distance from the town and transport, that reduces the appeal.

Not been to Aberdeen and it is quite far away from where I live.

So I dislike all 3 of my offers and the one uni that actually looked half-decent (Glasgow) rejected me. I'm not even that excited about uni, I'm mostly going due to societal pressure and as I have nothing else to do.

I'm at a complete loss now - where can I go from here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe2001

I got unconditionals to do French & Politics at Aberdeen, Stirling and Strathclyde. However, got rejected by Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I did not like Strathclyde at the open day and am pretty upset at the fact that I am now likely to end up there.

I went to Stirling's open day. It was OK but my dad had a low opinion of it, so I get the impression that he would be unhappy with me going there. Also, with it being a campus university and a significant distance from the town and transport, that reduces the appeal.

So I dislike all 3 of my offers and the one uni that actually looked half-decent (Glasgow) rejected me. I'm not even that excited about uni, I'm mostly going due to societal pressure and as I have nothing else to do.

Aberdeen is really lovely, you should visit.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
Aberdeen is really lovely, you should visit.

I know, but it is really far away from home.
Original post by Joe2001

Could you maybe stay in student accommodation?:smile:
Aberdeen is nice, the coast lines are nice too, I went stonehaven its lit and the city ain't bad as well so I'm guessing the uni ain't too shabby
Reply 5
You still have a while to decide but all three are actually good universities I know you didn't like strathclyde when you went, do you mind me asking why? I've accepted an offer to study Prosthetics there and loved it when I went for the open day (I'm not here to change your mind just know your point of view).

Stirring is a great city, a lot quieter than the likes of Glasgow and Aberdeen but if you really want to go then your farther should respect your decision, you'll be an adult after all, the uni is very nice but from the looks of it you do like a good town/city. It still has a great studnet life though.

Aberdeen has both, it's a great Uni, it's like the less well known Glasgow Uni, the city is nice and you should definitely go look and see if you like it.

I don't know what each Uni is like in terms of your course, but they are all good respectable Uni's and your hopes aren't all lost, Glasgow is very competitive on any course so sometimes things don't work out, do lots more research and you'll be surprised with how your mind can or can't change. You got unconditionals anyway, that's great.
Original post by Joe2001

i went to St Andrews coming from London, man up :smile:
Reply 7

Wow :smile:, I'm going to Strath from Cardiff, but i think yours is slightly longer distance, but yeah indeeds distance is simply a number, you can travel easily anywhere in matter of hours (with varying cost of course). I can travel to home for £20 per way on a plane from Glasgow to Bristol, it's pretty decent.
remember that there may be a lot of universities offering Adjustment/Clearing places, if you exceed your expected tariff for UCAS results.
Last year, 2018, even Edinburgh offered six courses for last minute clearing. This year we'll start to get an idea from the beginning of July, but the actual trading places day will be August 15th.

Plan to go to your favourite of your three, Strathclyde is a very respected, pretty technical university. Stirling is my favourite, Aberdeen looks great, but very North! Have a backup plan B to try again at Glasgow, or one of the few places that Edinburgh is likely to offer? 15/08/2019?
Do better than your firm grades and go through adjustment. You could also look through clearing on results day and if you see any universities you like there you can ask your firm and/or insurance to release you and apply that way.
Original post by Joe2001

You sound pretty ambivalent about going to uni tbh, like you are looking for any excuse to reject places such as "it being a campus university", "my dad has a low opinion of it", and "it is quite far away from where I live" even though you presumably live in Scotland? Even if you had got an offer from Glasgow you would only have considered the uni "half decent".

It sounds to me like you should consider taking a year out to reassess whether you actually do want to go to uni or not? You would probably have a better chance of being accepted by Glasgow or Edinburgh with achieved good grades rather than predicted ones. It's either that or select the uni that appeals to you the most (you, not your Dad) and leave the Insurance slot free so that if Edinburgh or Glasgow do have places in Clearing, you only have to deal with one uni when it comes to getting released in order to be free to apply there.
At the end of the day your dad isn't going to university for three years. If you like Stirling then go there. University reputation does not matter too much, in fact Stirling probably has a better reputation than mine and I've done ok out of it. It's what you make of your university experience that's more important I'd say.

You brave soul. :biggrin: That's a big jump.
Original post by harrysbar
You sound pretty ambivalent about going to uni tbh, like you are looking for any excuse to reject places such as "it being a campus university", "my dad has a low opinion of it", and "it is quite far away from where I live" even though you presumably live in Scotland? Even if you had got an offer from Glasgow you would only have considered the uni "half decent".

It sounds to me like you should consider taking a year out to reassess whether you actually do want to go to uni or not? You would probably have a better chance of being accepted by Glasgow or Edinburgh with achieved good grades rather than predicted ones. It's either that or select the uni that appeals to you the most (you, not your Dad) and leave the Insurance slot free so that if Edinburgh or Glasgow do have places in Clearing, you only have to deal with one uni when it comes to getting released in order to be free to apply there.

This really, It just comes across like you don't really give a fk and if that's been evident in your personal statement I'm not massively surprised Glas & Edin said no, (I know a fair few KBd from Edinburgh for a lack of passion in the subject, grades or no grades.). If you're just going because you've nothing better to do isn't there a simpler/cheaper option closer to home?
Original post by Themysticalegg
You brave soul. :biggrin: That's a big jump.

it's not... which is my point, numpty
Original post by Max1989
Wow :smile:, I'm going to Strath from Cardiff, but i think yours is slightly longer distance, but yeah indeeds distance is simply a number, you can travel easily anywhere in matter of hours (with varying cost of course). I can travel to home for £20 per way on a plane from Glasgow to Bristol, it's pretty decent.

literally half of the people i met in my first year had come from CALIFORNIA and SEATTLE to St Andrews... so 'wow' is not appropriate!

You did? You never mention it.
literally half of the people i met in my first year had come from CALIFORNIA and SEATTLE to St Andrews... so 'wow' is not appropriate!

People go wow for me moving from Surrey to Wales. :biggrin: so I'm still wowed. :biggrin:
Original post by Notoriety
You did? You never mention it.

once you get bored of years of seeing the same things over again (eg. "does size matter?"), you know it's time to leave TSR. you should consider retirement to rest those wrinkly fingers

Fair enoof, I know there's lots of international, I meant wow in terms of UK, but hey ho, still yet to meet an American surprised there was so many.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending