The Student Room Group

All aboard the Tutu (2:2) Train

Hey guys

So after achieving 1st and consistently high 2:1s, my 3rd year at uni has become a total trainwreck.

I took up Spanish as a foreign language for credits towards my degree (Saved me writing other essays) Unbeknownst to me it's actually quite difficult and is going to skewer my average!

So folks, if I get a 2:2 In " BA History and Politics with Proficiency In Spanish" from a Russell Group Uni... what would you recommend or your opinion be?

I dont have any idea of what I want to be or do in particular. Do you reckon I've completely trolleyed my chances at a reasonably successful and financially stable career? Or is there still much to play for? (Not looking at the Big Boy companies obv...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snazzyzebra
Hey guys

So after achieving 1st and consistently high 2:1s, my 3rd year at uni has become a total trainwreck.

I took up Spanish as a foreign language for credits towards my degree (Saved me writing other essays) Unbeknownst to me it's actually quite difficult and is going to skewer my average!

So folks, if I get a 2:2 In " BA History and Politics with Proficiency In Spanish" from a Russell Group Uni... what would you recommend or your opinion be?

I dont have any idea of what I want to be or do in particular. Do you reckon I've completely trolleyed my chances at a reasonably successful and financially stable career? Or is there still much to play for? (Not looking at the Big Boy companies obv...)

It's hard to say how important the lack of a 2.1 will be without knowing what career area you will be aiming for - it would be very important for Law, for example, but less so for something like teaching, human resources, journalism etc. You need to book a careers interview to discuss what you are going to do after you graduate....if you are thinking about a Masters, some of them will accept people with a 2.2 and doing well on one would enhance your qualifications as well as give you the opportunity to move towards something vocational
Regardless of what people on here like to say, getting a 2.2 isn't the end of the world. You'll have to work harder afterwards and get a substantial amount of experience but it is definitely possible to end up doing what you love in a decent career without getting a 2.1 or higher.
Tbh I'm living for this thread name. Good luck to everyone finishing their degrees this year!
Hey guys

So it depends how the rest of your CV reads.
-But if you can scrape a 2.1 this year, do it, do everything possible to move the average up...
-I think employers will read a 2.2 as a below average student.
-If you have great experience & grind hard it won't matter
-No doubt big companies will see this as a stain on your record for the next 3-5 years, but the reality is what you achieve once in a job is WAY MORE important.
-Ability, drive and success wont hold u back, if u dont want it too, plenty of people who start out academically poor results achieve greatness (ie Jeremy Clarkson).
-The current Aston Martin CEO started out as an apprentice...
(edited 5 years ago)
honestly mate u should go after a 2:1 as if ur life depends on it because it probably does
Hey guys

Ahhh, the good old Tutu train. Been riding that for nearly 9 years now :biggrin:

What's the rest of your CV like? Have you got prior jobs/work experience/internships already on there? :smile:
Reply 7
As long as you don't get a third your be fine, GOOD LUCK
Hey guys

Reply 8
Hey guys

A lot of companies don't care about grades, provided that you appear fit for the role (e.g. great personality, good soft skills) and have some experience. LOTS of big firms request 2:2 such as big 4 accounting firm, HMRC, Network Rail, Lloyds banking, building societies such as Nationwide and many other civil service jobs.

Your first worry should be to do as much as you can to get 2:1, and then start doing research as to what you want to do after graduating and opportunities out there.
Hey guys

Considering that you go to a top University your 2:2 would still look better on your CV then my 2:1 because I went to UEL.
Some civil service fast streams only require a 2:2.
Tutuuuuuu (Sorry love the title too much) Work experience > 2,1 for sure. Even though most grad schemes ask for a 2,1 some don't as previously pointed out and if you wanted to work for a big company which requires a 2,1 you can always join a small company then move to it after you've gained work experience onto a direct role. :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Tbh I'm living for this thread name. Good luck to everyone finishing their degrees this year!

Im glad you like it. i am a something of an amateur meme dealer
This is v. True, and something i overlooked. I know many who with university attended their second choice, absolutely aced first year then transferred to their first choice uni for 2nd and final year. Same principle 😊
Original post by Themysticalegg
Tutuuuuuu (Sorry love the title too much) Work experience > 2,1 for sure. Even though most grad schemes ask for a 2,1 some don't as previously pointed out and if you wanted to work for a big company which requires a 2,1 you can always join a small company then move to it after you've gained work experience onto a direct role. :biggrin:
Well, I stacked shelves in a supermarket before uni, worked a bit on a paid research project at uni just collecting data and then did a weeks... Work experience(?) (internship would be the wrong word) at an SME as social media manager.

None of the above are particularly useful for my career interests (Politics, Publishing (books, audio, tv shows) , Education). But at least its not blank. I did a brief stint in a law firm workshadowing too when i was 16 but i learned little and fell ill on the last day.

In terms of extracurricular stuff at uni, well its packed. I could go on for days
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ahhh, the good old Tutu train. Been riding that for nearly 9 years now :biggrin:

What's the rest of your CV like? Have you got prior jobs/work experience/internships already on there? :smile:
Original post by brian.griffin
honestly mate u should go after a 2:1 as if ur life depends on it because it probably does

I'm quite sure I'll still be alive if my degree says 2:2 instead of 2:1!
Original post by MillennialX
Considering that you go to a top University your 2:2 would still look better on your CV then my 2:1 because I went to UEL.

As someone who was pretty normal, and then experienced a slip in mental health due to A levels, i really respect and appreciate your comment as it acknowledges that in order to go to xyz university, you have to meet a certain standard grade wise to get in!

Some people might think it old fashioned, but i hope that like yourself, employers will value the university equally, as much as the degree class! Peace 😊
Im glad you like it. i am a something of an amateur meme dealer

You should have called it a Desmond
Well no, you're wrong for several reasons.
The full title of a second is a "Desmond Tutu", so one says "i've done a Desmond".

By calling it a "Tutu Train" You get triple alliteration, the homophone of 2:2 with tutu, PLUS the inferential reference to Desmond.

If anything your remark has inspired me to want to get a 2:1 as your thought process over this whole issue is barely a third.
Original post by harrysbar
You should have called it a Desmond
That's very true, I suppose it's quite easy to get demotivated and sit back and think "well im gonna get a 2:2" but really I should still be pushing hard to get a 2:1 and can worry about the outcome later on. Thanks :smile:
Original post by kkboyk
A lot of companies don't care about grades, provided that you appear fit for the role (e.g. great personality, good soft skills) and have some experience. LOTS of big firms request 2:2 such as big 4 accounting firm, HMRC, Network Rail, Lloyds banking, building societies such as Nationwide and many other civil service jobs.

Your first worry should be to do as much as you can to get 2:1, and then start doing research as to what you want to do after graduating and opportunities out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending