The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is Glasgow very expensive?

I will study in Glasgow next year, I will have 1900£ every month is it enough for everything (accommodation, rent car,food, drinks, uni staff...etc)?because I heard Glasgow very expensive city more than London.
Should be, Glasgow is certainly not more expensive than London, and Edinburgh to the east is WAY more expensive than Glasgow. Will depend where you're studying but most students end up in the west end somewhere (Finnieston is the current up & coming gentrified student area, previously Partick/Hillhead/Kelvinbridge). Some in the south if they fancy lower rent/slightly longer commute. Bits of the east end are popular with students, Dennistoun for one, but I wouldn't venture any deeper, that's when it gets nasty. I'd largely avoid the North entirely, Maryhill & Springburn probably have a decent student pop, but again, past that it's nasty.

Just for reference my 2 bed flat in the south is 350pm, 15 mins train/drive from city centre, prob double that for a decent flat in the more premium areas.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you very much that was very helpful so it's sounds 1900£ too much
Original post by Mohsen1998
Thank you very much that was very helpful so it's sounds 1900£ too much

No such thing as 'too much' I suppose, but £1000 would def cover your own flat and utility bills somewhere decent, although demand & price will rise a bit before term times. Where are you going to be studying? (despite living in Glasgow i'm actually an Edinburgh student so don;t really know the Glasgow unis well)

(just had a quick scout at gumtree, yeah seeing a fair few student friendly 2/3 bedroom places in the 500-1000 price range in the decent areas)

My own flat is maybe a bad example as it's pretty cheap & poky, even for Glasgow, meets all the basic requirements though and i'm a pretty short/cheap commute from the centre.
Reply 4
University of Glasgow
As someone who moved from London to Glasgow, there's no comparison. Glasgow is worlds cheaper in terms of housing and cost of living. The only place London has the edge would be public transport.

Heating costs can be rough but my rent is £365 per month in a 3 person flat. That is on the cheaper side for the West End, but the most you can expect to pay is about £500 per month, depending on whether you have a flatmate or not.

I stayed at Firhill Court student accommodation for my first year which was £440 per month including bills, and I would recommend that if you aren't as sure about the world of private rentals.
I will study in Glasgow next year, I will have 1900£ every month is it enough for everything (accommodation, rent car,food, drinks, uni staff...etc)?because I heard Glasgow very expensive city more than London.

who tf told you that? I've never heard anything more wrong.

£1900 a month is way more than enough. You're unlikely to end up spending more than £500 a month on rent in any area, and I fail to see how one would manage to spend an extra £1900 on top of that.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
who tf told you that? I've never heard anything more wrong.

£1900 a month is way more than enough. You're unlikely to end up spending more than £500 a month on rent in any area, and I fail to see how one would manage to spend an extra £1900 on top of that.

I'd expect to pay closer to £7-800 for a half decent place slap bang in Hillhead or Kelvinbridge, but broadly yeah, you would find places for £500 within 15 min walk of the main campus. Partick, Finnieston & Hyndland anyway.
Original post by StriderHort
I'd expect to pay closer to £7-800 for a half decent place slap bang in Hillhead or Kelvinbridge, but broadly yeah, you would find places for £500 within 15 min walk of the main campus. Partick, Finnieston & Hyndland anyway.

If you're right in the middle of Hillhead then sure. Would assume OP and any future flatmates of theirs would be smart enough to avoid that kind of fare. Although, if my man's got £1900 a month incoming then it's still fine lmao
Reply 9
Thanks everyone that was very helpful

Hello

We can offer a fantastic private accommodation right next to Glasgow University

https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/gibson-street
Reply 11
Original post by Student Roost Glasgow
Hello

We can offer a fantastic private accommodation right next to Glasgow University

https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/gibson-street

If i book a room how i will pay for it every month or I pay all the money before I arrive
If i book a room how i will pay for it every month or I pay all the money before I arrive

You can pay monthly , termly(3 payments) or all upfront

If you have any other questions you can email us on [email protected]
Reply 13
Original post by Student Roost Glasgow
You can pay monthly , termly(3 payments) or all upfront

If you have any other questions you can email us on [email protected]

But i am international student and I don't have uk guarantor
But i am international student and I don't have uk guarantor

Thats ok , we accept international guarantors
Glasgow is cheap

Quick Reply