The Student Room Group

Using Anki to revise for GCSE

Anyone using Anki for GCSE? I've heard it being praised highly at higher levels of education e.g med students use it alot. You guys think it's worth using at GCSE to remember content and english quotes etc? I'm currently making separate packs for every topic in my subjects.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I tried using Anki during my IB and I found it a bit tough to deal with. Not sure why, but I wasn’t able to transfer stuff between my phone and laptop. I also found it slightly boring and dull over time. Personally I’d really recommend quizlet due to the puzzles and colors which really promote learning :smile:
Anki really helps!

It really does the work if you start using it a few months before your GCSEs. I really like it and in my opinion, it beats Quizlet. I have had experience with both and I can say, if you don't have a lot of time to make these 'flashcards' or time to revise then go for Quizlet, it is easier to set up and maintain. If you have time and are starting to do revision early (2/3+ months before GCSEs) then you should opt for Anki. But a thing to note- make your Anki cards concise and professional from the beginning because maintenance can sometimes get annoying with Anki.

Definitely recommend it for anyone; it depends on your preference as a whole though.
Reply 3
Original post by Shazington
Anki really helps!

It really does the work if you start using it a few months before your GCSEs. I really like it and in my opinion, it beats Quizlet. I have had experience with both and I can say, if you don't have a lot of time to make these 'flashcards' or time to revise then go for Quizlet, it is easier to set up and maintain. If you have time and are starting to do revision early (2/3+ months before GCSEs) then you should opt for Anki. But a thing to note- make your Anki cards concise and professional from the beginning because maintenance can sometimes get annoying with Anki.

Definitely recommend it for anyone; it depends on your preference as a whole though.

Been making my flashcards for a couple days now, got subdecks created for every seperate topic for each subject. Only concern at this point is time. Hoping to get them done before next weekend, that’s when we have Easter holidays which is when I’m hoping to capitalise on Anki!
I started using Anki for my biology A Level exams and it was really helpful. It does help me learn new content and once you know the stuff, you can go and recall every topic once in a while
Reply 5
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I started using Anki for my biology A Level exams and it was really helpful. It does help me learn new content and once you know the stuff, you can go and recall every topic once in a while

Good to hear, I’m also doing biology at A Level so I’m hoping to stick with anki all the way through. Possibly even to uni, if I get into med school.
Reply 6
I've been using Anki for somewhere over 3 years now and I do recommend it.
Success using it will depend on the subject and how good you are at making flashcards.
For languages, especially in the long-term view, Anki is fantastic - it's allowed me to learn somewhere around 15k flashcards (= approx. 7.5k words, but probably somewhat higher) during the time I've been using it.
For other subjects, I usually only make a deck for revising basic facts and then delete it when I've done the exam. I can imagine it would be great for GCSE topics where you do just need to memorise things.
Original post by Pleasantly
Been making my flashcards for a couple days now, got subdecks created for every seperate topic for each subject. Only concern at this point is time. Hoping to get them done before next weekend, that’s when we have Easter holidays which is when I’m hoping to capitalise on Anki!

I've gotten pretty familiar with Anki as a whole and if you need any help with it I am here to help you if I can. Additionally, I would recommend you add tags to every card you make as it will help in the long run; try to not make too many subdecks and instead, as I said before, try to use tags to your advantage instead.
Reply 8
I've gotten pretty familiar with Anki as a whole and if you need any help with it I am here to help you if I can. Additionally, I would recommend you add tags to every card you make as it will help in the long run; try to not make too many subdecks and instead, as I said before, try to use tags to your advantage instead.

What do tags do? And at the moment I’m just using subdecks to organise the cards, when reviewing I’ll be doing all of them at once
what is anki?
What do tags do? And at the moment I’m just using subdecks to organise the cards, when reviewing I’ll be doing all of them at once
Original post by 2838676907
what is anki?

It’s a spaced repetition programme that uses flashcard type revision to help you effectively memorise lots of information. Google can tell you more about it, I’m still new to it lol
that is great i have installed it

"Tags are labels that you can attach to your notes, to make organizing and finding notes easier." If you want more information about them you can go to: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html

Here is an example where I have used tags (attached). This is based on the specification for AQA GCSE Chemistry. For example, this card's information would be found in 4.1.1.1 of the specification and so I have split it up into sections and further split it into C1.1 (corresponding to the textbook I use in my school). In case I ever need to revise that part of the specification or from the book, any cards with these tags will pop up when filtering. It acts as criteria by which you can filter cards when trying to custom study.

That explanation was a bit wordy and I typed it in a rush, but if you need more clarity, feel free to private message me/reply to this.
"Tags are labels that you can attach to your notes, to make organizing and finding notes easier." If you want more information about them you can go to: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html

Here is an example where I have used tags (attached). This is based on the specification for AQA GCSE Chemistry. For example, this card's information would be found in 4.1.1.1 of the specification and so I have split it up into sections and further split it into C1.1 (corresponding to the textbook I use in my school). In case I ever need to revise that part of the specification or from the book, any cards with these tags will pop up when filtering. It acts as criteria by which you can filter cards when trying to custom study.

That explanation was a bit wordy and I typed it in a rush, but if you need more clarity, feel free to private message me/reply to this.

I think I've already kind of done that with my subdecks. If I want to revise 1 specific topic, I click on the subdeck named after that topic which only has cards for that topic. If I want to revise the whole subject, i just click on the name of the subject which will test me on every topic in that subject.
I think I've already kind of done that with my subdecks. If I want to revise 1 specific topic, I click on the subdeck named after that topic which only has cards for that topic. If I want to revise the whole subject, i just click on the name of the subject which will test me on every topic in that subject.

I would still advise using tags rather than many subdecks for specific topics: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#manydecks
Have a look over the manual, it may seem long and daunting but it is worth it and you will get the most out of your experience with Anki!
I'm a teacher and would like to use it with students. If I created a deck and shared it with them, and then added to that deck, would it automatically update for them?
Original post by MissWarrender
I'm a teacher and would like to use it with students. If I created a deck and shared it with them, and then added to that deck, would it automatically update for them?

So I dug through the Anki docs and found this.

So reading through both sections I have understood that "automatic" updates per se will not happen however if the student imports the deck again (with new cards): the new cards will be added without altering the rest of the student's progress, cards etc.

Hope that helps :smile:

That explanation was a bit wordy and I typed it in a rush, but if you need more clarity, feel free to private message me/reply

Hiya, are your notes on anki for the AQA sciences able to share- I'm currently making mine I should have started ages ago
Reply 18
which flashcard would you recommend using Basic or Cloze. I am a GCSE student trying to learn Topics
Reply 19

I please could u help by giving me some of your deck codes so I can use them to revise for my GCSEs please

Quick Reply

Latest