The Student Room Group

Transferring funding to new course

I have a place on a PT foundation course starting in September. After this has ended, in two years, can I transfer to another University to do an integrated masters course (in maths) and retain access to SFE loans?

The issue is complicated by my age. I turn 60 in mid-September. Will the change in course lead to me losing access to the maintenance loan? In other words, will the change of course be treated as a new course or as a continuation of the old one? If the former then I believe this would stop the maintenance loan. Is this correct?

I should point out that I already have an honours degree.
By PT do you mean part time or physiotherapy?
And is the course you're looking at a foundation degree or is it a part time certHE foundation?
(edited 5 years ago)
Part-time. Foundation year of an undergraduate degree.
Original post by PQ
By PT do you mean part time or physiotherapy?
And is the course you're looking at a foundation degree or is it a part time certHE foundation?
Original post by StudyWorrier
Part-time. Foundation year of an undergraduate degree.

Can you link to the specific course?
FY of engineering degree at one university. MMath course at second university.
Original post by PQ
Can you link to the specific course?

Can you post a link to the website of the university for the part time foundation year?

Hi there,

Is this a Part Time Engineering STEM course with a JACS code H? If so then you'd be entitled to part time funding under the exceptions as long as you're part of the September intake.

The MMath, will this also be part time? If so, again will this be a Mathematical Science STEM course with JACS code G? If so then this is also an exception where we would disregard your previous study, but you would no longer qualify for the part time Maintenance Loan seeing that you would be over 60 years of age. If you're studying the integrated master's on full time basis then you would not get funding for this because of your bachelor's degree.

If you're studying this via Distance Learning then you would only qualify for the part time Maintenance Loan for the first course if you have a disability.

If your courses are not part of the exceptions then you would not be entitled to further funding as your already hold an undergraduate bachelor's degree.

Regards,
Nihad
Thank you. So doing a part-time FY at one uni then moving to another for a part-time degree would not be possible. What is the situation if the FY and MMath are at the same uni (again, both part-time)? Assume I do a FY in maths/physics with the FY leading to a MPhys initially. At the end of the FY I choose to proceed to a MMath instead. In this situation would the maintenance loan continue to be available for the duration of the MMath?
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Is this a Part Time Engineering STEM course with a JACS code H? If so then you'd be entitled to part time funding under the exceptions as long as you're part of the September intake.

The MMath, will this also be part time? If so, again will this be a Mathematical Science STEM course with JACS code G? If so then this is also an exception where we would disregard your previous study, but you would no longer qualify for the part time Maintenance Loan seeing that you would be over 60 years of age. If you're studying the integrated master's on full time basis then you would not get funding for this because of your bachelor's degree.

If you're studying this via Distance Learning then you would only qualify for the part time Maintenance Loan for the first course if you have a disability.

If your courses are not part of the exceptions then you would not be entitled to further funding as your already hold an undergraduate bachelor's degree.

Regards,
Nihad
Thank you. So doing a part-time FY at one uni then moving to another for a part-time degree would not be possible. What is the situation if the FY and MMath are at the same uni (again, both part-time)? Assume I do a FY in maths/physics with the FY leading to a MPhys initially. At the end of the FY I choose to proceed to a MMath instead. In this situation would the maintenance loan continue to be available for the duration of the MMath?

Hello,

Since you must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the part time course to be eligible for Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML), you will keep the entitlement to this funding when you change to another eligible STEM course as long as it’s classed as a transfer and therefore you will be classed as a continuing student.

If it’s not classed as transferring from one part time STEM degree to another part time STEM degree, then you will lose your entitlement to PTML since you will be over 60 before the commencement of the new course.

Regardless of you pathway, you must be studying a part time STEM course that leads to a honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in order for us to discount your previous study. We would not fund stand alone Foundation Years.

Warm Regards, Dean.
Thank you, Dean. That was a very clear explanation and answers my query exactly.
Thank you, Dean. That was a very clear explanation and answers my query exactly.

Hello,

You’re more than welcome. If you need any further help, please let us know. 😊

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending