The Student Room Group

Induced pluripotent stem cells to treat parkinsons disease (pd)

Based on current research and manifestos I would like you to share your opinion on the following:

*what are the best treatment options for PD and how can the effectiveness of each treatment be measured?

What are the short-term and long-term side effects for each treatment? Is there anything**patients can do specifically to minimise them?

What is your opinion on the advancement of treatments such as the newly introduction of induced Pluripotent stem cells?

IPS is a form of personalised medicine, how can it improve the well being of patients who suffer from PD?
What do YOU think?
Presumably this is some sort of project / assignment you need to do?
Original post by junior.doctor
What do YOU think?
Presumably this is some sort of project / assignment you need to do?

Yes, it is indeed. I am currently doing an epq on induced pluripotent stem cells as a treatment for PD. I would like to gather some opinions that will hopefully help me with my essay writing.
Reply 3
Original post by curious5755
Based on current research and manifestos I would like you to share your opinion on the following:

*what are the best treatment options for PD and how can the effectiveness of each treatment be measured?

What are the short-term and long-term side effects for each treatment? Is there anything**patients can do specifically to minimise them?

What is your opinion on the advancement of treatments such as the newly introduction of induced Pluripotent stem cells?

IPS is a form of personalised medicine, how can it improve the well being of patients who suffer from PD?

I’m not going to do your work for you, but I’ll give you a few pointers.

PD is believed to be caused by the loss of dopaminergic neurones in the substantial nigra pars compacta (a part of the basal ganglia). The basal ganglia essentially inhibit unwanted movements and facilitate wanted movements - which is why in PD you get involuntary movements (tremor) and slowed wanted movements (bradykinesia, freezing).

Current treatments are based on increasing the levels of dopamine in the brain. These include levodopa (which is converted to dopamine in the brain), dopamine agonists (which bind to dopamine receptors), monoamine oxidase type B inhibitors (inhibits breakdown of dopamine) and catechol-O-methyltransferase inhibitors (again, inhibit the breakdown of dopamine in the brain).

Pluripotent stem cells could potentially be used to replace the dopaminergic neurones in the substantia nigra - therefore reversing PD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending