The Student Room Group

Console advice please!

Hey all

I am looking to buy an xbox One X console.

I just wanted some advice. Do you think the amazon deal I am thinking of purchasing where you get the Xbox One X in white with 3 months Xbox Live and Game pass, Fifa 19 and an extra white controller for £430 is a good deal?

I was thinking of buying just the console from 'simply games' for £370 but not sure how legit that website is and I was thinking perhaps Amazon is more trustworthy?

The games that will be played is mostly NBA 2K19, Fifa and Red Dead Redemption.
In my opinion Xbox is a bad deal period. All those games are on PS4, which has godly exclusives. If you want power, buy a gaming PC. Also next gen is quite close, in that regard it would be pointless buying anything until then.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
In my opinion Xbox is a bad deal period. All those games are on PS4, which has godly exclusives. If you want power, buy a gaming PC. Also next gen is quite close, in that regard it would be pointless buying anything until then.

Whilst this may be all true its a present and they really want it. If the next gen console comes out anytime soon they can trade the X and add money to get the new one..
Most of their friends on Xbox hence why they want that console.
Original post by xxvine
Whilst this may be all true its a present and they really want it. If the next gen console comes out anytime soon they can trade the X and add money to get the new one..
Most of their friends on Xbox hence why they want that console.

GAME had a clearance sale recently, they will probably have good bundles. Also check out the Microsoft store.
Seems like a pretty good deal.
Reply 5
Original post by Decahedron
Seems like a pretty good deal.

In what way feel like I am paying too much

The free controller makes it a good deal?
Reply 6
Original post by xxvine
Hey all

I just wanted some advice. Do you think the amazon deal I am thinking of purchasing where you get the Xbox One X in white with 3 months Xbox Live and Game pass, Fifa 19 and an extra white controller for £430 is a good deal?

I was thinking of buying just the console from 'simply games' for £370 but not sure how legit that website is and I was thinking perhaps Amazon is more trustworthy?

I've used simply games website a few times because the prices are cheaper than amazon , I preorder red dead redemption and received the game on release date I also brought call of duty from them and had no problem so I can confirm they are legit !:smile:
Original post by xxvine
In what way feel like I am paying too much

The free controller makes it a good deal?

Oh, you ARE paying too much, but all consoles & bits are overpriced, you'll always have that feeling in the back of your mind. As Matt said next gen is on the horizon and frankly this generation has been pretty lackluster (IMO it's become a case of 'how much of a markup can we sell this very limited functionality gaming pc for? will it help if we aggressively brand it as a lifestyle choice?')

I'm not saying don't buy one btw, if someone really wants one they really want one *shrug*
Original post by StriderHort
Oh, you ARE paying too much, but all consoles & bits are overpriced, you'll always have that feeling in the back of your mind. As Matt said next gen is on the horizon and frankly this generation has been pretty lackluster (IMO it's become a case of 'how much of a markup can we sell this very limited functionality gaming pc for? will it help if we aggressively brand it as a lifestyle choice?')

I'm not saying don't buy one btw, if someone really wants one they really want one *shrug*

RDR2 in native 4K blew my tiny little mind.
Just being technical, no game is 4K. You need 4 thousand vertical lines, only your local cinema provides that.
RDR2 in native 4K blew my tiny little mind.

Not totally sure whether this is in defense of consoles, PCs, or RDR2? :P

Everyone will have their own 'wow!' moments I suppose, I think I just grew up seeing bigger leaps forward

NES - Holy sht! this thing has a GUN!
PSX - Holy sht! this thing plays CDs! Games now have video and speech!
PS2 - Holy sht! this thing plays DVDs!
PS3 - Holy sht! this thing plays Blurays AND allows online gaming!

PS4 - 'well it's got more storage and it's a bit more HD' hmm.
Just being technical, no game is 4K. You need 4 thousand vertical lines, only your local cinema provides that.

And you remain technically wrong. 4K UHD is the TV standard, DCI 4K is the cinema standard.
And you remain technically wrong. 4K UHD is the TV standard, DCI 4K is the cinema standard.

? Erm, I gave you a technical fact. Perhaps you do some research instead of coming back with nonsense.
Original post by StriderHort
Not totally sure whether this is in defense of consoles, PCs, or RDR2? :P

Everyone will have their own 'wow!' moments I suppose, I think I just grew up seeing bigger leaps forward

NES - Holy sht! this thing has a GUN!
PSX - Holy sht! this thing plays CDs! Games now have video and speech!
PS2 - Holy sht! this thing plays DVDs!
PS3 - Holy sht! this thing plays Blurays AND allows online gaming!

PS4 - 'well it's got more storage and it's a bit more HD' hmm.

Since RDR2 doesn't run on PC it can't be them.

The One X is a stunning console, 4K never fails to amaze me.
? Erm, I gave you a technical fact. Perhaps you do some research instead of coming back with nonsense.

A fact with no supporting evidence is a claim.
Reply 15
not worth getting an xbox1 imo

it literally hasn't got any exclusives..

better off with a ps4
A fact with no supporting evidence is a claim.

A TV defines it as 3840 x 2160 or 2160p. Ultra High Definition is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard, true 4K (4 thousand lines) shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4K resolution. Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Sorry if this upsets you. But the average consumer knows nothing about tech, hence they go off buzzwords and numbers to sell them a product.
(edited 5 years ago)
A TV defines it as 3840 x 2160 or 2160p. Ultra High Definition is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard, true 4K (4 thousand lines) shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4K resolution. Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Sorry if this upsets you.

4K when referring to the consumer market is a generic term used when the horizontal pixel count is approximately 4000, as defined by the Consumer Electronics Association.
Original post by xxvine
Hey all

I feel like these people are being very nerdy with you. That is a decent deal tbf but seeing as you only really will be playing those select few games you don't really need Xbox game pass. I personally also would go for an Xbox one slim instead of the X unless you really want 4k graphics it's much cheaper

Quick Reply

Latest