The Student Room Group

pressups and situps phased out of Army fitness tests?

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/fitness/physical-entry-standards

Seems like the fitness tests for Army Officer have changed and pressups/situps are no longer required.

This is quite a drastic change and pressups/situps would still be implemented throughout PT training at Sandhurst?

I've tried to contact my AFCO regarding the changes but they haven't got a clue unfortunately.

Pressups/situps are still in my training program however...
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah army change test 1st of April for infantry roles. The rest to follow later then possibly the other services?
Original post by AlphaTango
Yeah army change test 1st of April for infantry roles. The rest to follow later then possibly the other services?

Isn't this change applicable to all Officer roles?

I know that in-house fitness testing of combat roles have changed, but the above for officer candidates.

Why have they changed? Why do not these tests AND pressups/situps (seeing as without a shadow of a doubt pressups/situps will remain a cornerstone of military fitness)

:dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by hezzlington
Isn't this change applicable to all Officer roles?

I know that in-house fitness testing of combat roles have changed, but the above for officer candidates.

Why have they changed? Why do not these tests AND pressups/situps (seeing as without a shadow of a doubt pressups/situps will remain a cornerstone of military fitness)

:dontknow:

The new fitness test is a far better representation of the type of fitness required on operations.
Original post by NFI
The new fitness test is a far better representation of the type of fitness required on operations.

how is throwing a 4kg medicine ball and a rack pull a better representation of the type of fitness required on operations?

(genuinely curious)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
how is throwing a 4kg medicine ball and a rack pull a better representation of the type of fitness required on operations?

(genuinely curious)

Sandbags and vehicle casevac.
Reply 6
I'm surprised that chin-ups—perhaps the most elementary gauge of functional upper-body strength—would not form part of this essential repertoire, since it seems to me quite foreseeable that a member of even a rearguard infantry detachment might need to, on occasion, mantle up.
Reply 7
Original post by Profesh
I'm surprised that chin-ups—perhaps the most elementary gauge of functional upper-body strength—would not form part of this essential repertoire, since it seems to me quite foreseeable that a member of even a rearguard infantry detachment might need to, on occasion, mantle up.

I used to hold the same view until I tried a heave in full kit on pre deployment training...then I stopped complaining about carrying the ladder 😁
Original post by NFI
Sandbags and vehicle casevac.

Sorry but I don't quite understand.

The new fitness tests are as follows:

Bleep test
Throwing a 4kg medicine ball whilst sat on the floor
An isometric mid thigh pull

How do the latter two translate to sandbags and a vehicle casevac???
Original post by Profesh

Agreed, my training revolves around pressups, chin ups/pullups, situps, running and then weightlifting to supplement those 3 movements.

The new fitness test above is very different.
Reply 10
Sorry but I don't quite understand.

The new fitness tests are as follows:

Bleep test
Throwing a 4kg medicine ball whilst sat on the floor
An isometric mid thigh pull

How do the latter two translate to sandbags and a vehicle casevac???

We’re looking at different tests.

These are the new ones I’m referring to (I thought the Med ball was the lift and carry but I was wrong on further inspection).
Original post by NFI
I

We’re looking at different tests.

These are the new ones I’m referring to (I thought the Med ball was the lift and carry but I was wrong on further inspections)

Yes, those tests are for currently serving personnel?

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-joi...as-an-officer?
^
This is for potential applicants instead of the usual 44 pressups, 50 situps etc.
Reply 12
Yes, those tests are for currently serving personnel?

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-joi...as-an-officer?
^
This is for potential applicants instead of the usual 44 pressups, 50 situps etc.

Link doesn’t work for me (possible iPad issue) but the press ups and sit-ups have long been ridiculed as out of touch with what is required from soldiers.
Original post by NFI
Link doesn’t work for me (possible iPad issue) but the press ups and sit-ups have long been ridiculed as out of touch with what is required from soldiers.

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/fitness/physical-entry-standards

That should work.

That's understandable. As mentioned earlier i'll still be incorporating pushups/chinups etc but training for explosivity is right up my street from the weight training I do.

But the throwing a 4kg medicine ball 2-3m is ridiculously easy.
Reply 14

That should work.

That's understandable. As mentioned earlier i'll still be incorporating pushups/chinups etc but training for explosivity is right up my street from the weight training I do.

But the throwing a 4kg medicine ball 2-3m is ridiculously easy.

That’s the base standard so consider the fact there will be people who haven’t trained it will weed out the weak.
Reply 15
First thing I will say is, you will still do a million press ups throughout your training and career, so doing them will not harm you in any way. Sit ups on the other hand should have been phased out years ago, they are bad for your back and put unnecessary strain on your hip flexors - which was a nightmare when you followed with a 1.5 mile best effort as the old PFA test did. These tests are definitely a better representation for fitness required.

Secondly, and TSR liberalism won't like me saying this but whatever, this has all come about because of more women in the forces and them being allowed into all roles recently (first point being no doubt a good thing, second well that is up for debate). All ready the differing standards caused a lot of drama when it came to phys and with them going into front line roles a different standard can mean life and death.

edit: For the record, there are women out there that can and will pass out on do a good job (in any role) regardless of standards. My issue is the ones that are getting passed even though they have failed (it happens more than you would think) and put in bad situations when they are not physically ready for it. This will put theirs and others lives in danger.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest