The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

How are US community college applicants viewed?

Hello

This is my first post so I apologize if I mess up. I am a current freshman at a community college in the USA studying towards an Associates of Science in Computer Science. I am doing rather well, as I have above a 3.9 GPA with all the higher level math curriculum completed. I did pretty good in high school as well with a 4.1 GPA and lots of advanced coursework. I have the option of transferring to the University of Virginia through guaranteed admissions but I am not too captivated. The University of Virginia is awesome, but I would like to consider other options as well. I have never considered studying in the UK but now I am super interested. I see that Royal Holloway has a course in Physics with Particle Physics, which is fascinating to me. I want to pursue graduate studies in physics, so a strong and an affordable undergraduate program is very important to me. Since I knew I was going to community college in high school (family and life circumstances), I did not take the SAT or ACT. I aim on taking the ACT in Fall 2019. I also will be taking the SAT subject tests in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics in Summer 2019. I am aiming for a 30 or above on the ACT and 700-800 on each subject test. I also have a 4 in AP Calculus AB from high school as well as a 3 other AP scores of 4 or 5 (not physics unfortunately as I took 16 credits of college physics in high school through dual enrollment instead). I have take mathematics through proofs and differential equations at community college and will have the calculus based physics sequence done by the time of application (I get my associates Spring 2020). What else do I need to do before I apply for Fall 2020 entry?
Original post by jellybagel
Hello

This is my first post so I apologize if I mess up. I am a current freshman at a community college in the USA studying towards an Associates of Science in Computer Science. I am doing rather well, as I have above a 3.9 GPA with all the higher level math curriculum completed. I did pretty good in high school as well with a 4.1 GPA and lots of advanced coursework. I have the option of transferring to the University of Virginia through guaranteed admissions but I am not too captivated. The University of Virginia is awesome, but I would like to consider other options as well. I have never considered studying in the UK but now I am super interested. I see that Royal Holloway has a course in Physics with Particle Physics, which is fascinating to me. I want to pursue graduate studies in physics, so a strong and an affordable undergraduate program is very important to me. Since I knew I was going to community college in high school (family and life circumstances), I did not take the SAT or ACT. I aim on taking the ACT in Fall 2019. I also will be taking the SAT subject tests in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics in Summer 2019. I am aiming for a 30 or above on the ACT and 700-800 on each subject test. I also have a 4 in AP Calculus AB from high school as well as a 3 other AP scores of 4 or 5 (not physics unfortunately as I took 16 credits of college physics in high school through dual enrollment instead). I have take mathematics through proofs and differential equations at community college and will have the calculus based physics sequence done by the time of application (I get my associates Spring 2020). What else do I need to do before I apply for Fall 2020 entry?

I suggest you contact Jonathan Moore.
They can assess your qualifications on an individual basis where they are non standard.
https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/international-students/find-your-country/usa/

It says on the page.

Achieve a grade of 4 in at least two relevant AP Examinations or a composite score of 27 in the ACT Examinations (including the ACT writing test) with an AP grade 5 in any subject specified above.

You can look for other similar courses here.
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=particle+physics&ProviderText=&SubjectText=&AutoSuggestType=
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending