The Student Room Group

Best way to quit job?

I want to do an apprenticeship with EY for a year, but intend to quit after a year before going university (this is essentially my gap year). When is the best time to quit and how should I do it to ensure i maintain a good relationship with the firm and higher ups, and receive a possible offer to return after my studies?
Submit a resignation letter in line with your working contract. I always try to have an informal chat with the relevant person at the same time to say "I've enjoyed my time here" etc.

Original post by That'sGreat
how should I do it to ensure i maintain a good relationship with the firm and higher ups, and receive a possible offer to return after my studies?

Do your job well and resist the urge to act like an utter shite. It's that simple.
I want to do an apprenticeship with EY for a year, but intend to quit after a year before going university (this is essentially my gap year). When is the best time to quit and how should I do it to ensure i maintain a good relationship with the firm and higher ups, and receive a possible offer to return after my studies?

Just find something else to do! Why would you wanna take a spot from people who actually are interested in doing the apprenticeship? Just go on a holiday or find a regular job.

Besides why would you wanna waste your time going to uni just to end up working for the same firm?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sterling12
Just find something else to do! Why would you wanna take a spot from people who actually are interested in doing the apprenticeship? Just go on a holiday or find a regular job.

Besides why would you wanna waste your time going to uni just to end up working for the same firm?

Why would i get a 'regular job' when I've got one that will pay better and look good on my CV? That would be idiotic.

I don't intend on working for the same firm, but worse comes to worse having a Big 4 to fall back on is a pretty good plan C
Why would i get a 'regular job' when I've got one that will pay better and look good on my CV? That would be idiotic.

I don't intend on working for the same firm, but worse comes to worse having a Big 4 to fall back on is a pretty good plan C

Because there are people really really interested and want to work with the firm forever and then there's you who is coming out of nowhere to take the opportunity away frrom them. They deserve it more than you do. The fact that you won't tell them initially about your intentions says it all because you know you'll be rejected. No company offering an apprenticeship will want to spend their time and money on you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sterling12
Because there are people really really interested and want to work with the firm forever and then there's you who is coming out of nowhere to take the opportunity away frrom them. They deserve it more than you do. The fact that you won't tell them initially about your intentions says it all because you know you'll be rejected. No company offering an apprenticeship will want to spend their time and money on you.

Considering I got fast-tracked to final interview and received an offer before most had even started the assessment days, I think that's a pretty big indication that they want me. If it isn't enough though, I think me signing a contract with them is pretty a pretty big sign that they want me. And, why should I hamper my career prospects to let someone get a job which they were initially rejected for and I have never met? To say someone who wasn't smart enough to get the job 'deserves it more than' me, someone who did get the job, is quite ridiculous.

In the long run this will help boost me onto a more successful career, so I don't see why you should be complaining.
(edited 5 years ago)
Highly doubt your 1 year uncompleted apprenticeship will ‘boost’ anything and would rather show a lack of dedication.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by isitandyy
Highly doubt your 1 year uncompleted apprenticeship will ‘boost’ anything and would rather show a lack of dedication.

Except for brand name work experience, salary for future use, connections and so forth. Stands out from the other CVs and will likely see a return offer after uni as many have already done.

Even if having a Big 4 name and a highly competitive scheme didn’t help, I’ll at least earn some money and meet new people.

As for lack of dedication, no, can be easily explained away by wanting to go to uni/not feeling the career was right for me. Nice try.

As for lack of dedication, no, can be easily explained away by wanting to go to uni/not feeling the career was right for me. Nice try.

Yes, because of course you are a lot cleverer than your interviewers and they'll not see this for the **** move it is. You will absolutely burn your bridges with EY by signing up for an apprentice scheme and then leaving for Uni. They will see right through that, and almost certainly so will many of the companies you try for after graduation. Companies really don't like people screwing them over on opportunities like this.

You seem keen to show how much they want you, with fast track sign-ups etc. Unless you screw up the apprenticeship - how hard do you think they'll fight to keep you, when you hand in your notice? And have you checked for amortisation costs or payback clauses.

There are far more interesting and worthwhile things you could be doing than year 1 of an apprenticeship and losing a major player to ever work after graduation..
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, because of course you are a lot cleverer than your interviewers and they'll not see this for the **** move it is. You will absolutely burn your bridges with EY by signing up for an apprentice scheme and then leaving for Uni. They will see right through that, and almost certainly so will many of the companies you try for after graduation. Companies really don't like people screwing them over on opportunities like this.

You seem keen to show how much they want you, with fast track sign-ups etc. Unless you screw up the apprenticeship - how hard do you think they'll fight to keep you, when you hand in your notice? And have you checked for amortisation costs or payback clauses.

There are far more interesting and worthwhile things you could be doing than year 1 of an apprenticeship and losing a major player to ever work after graduation..

Except I do want to go to university, so theres really nothing to see through.

I will burn bridge with EY? Is that why they've got a track record of giving return offers to those who leave for uni?

'You seem keen', what are you on about? Someone made an incorrect statement and I corrected them, I don't know what kind of reality you live in in which that is 'keen'. And for the rest of the middle paragraph, see above.

There are far more interesting and worthwhile things? So earning 20k, meeting new people, getting experience, making contacts is not 'interesting' or 'worthwhile'? What do you find worthwhile? Sitting on your bum watching TV? Or are you one of those going travelling in their gap 'yah' and thinks that nothing else could be worthwhile or interesting? I don't need 4 months (because, let's face it, most people don't go travelling for the majority of the year) to go travelling, I am already doing that this summer and plan to do it in the future at my own pace.. Unlike you, some people don't think on such a basic level.

Geez, calm down, you are just digging yourself a bigger hole.

EY haven't been offering apprenticeships for 4 years, so they haven't had anyone do a first year, leave, complete university and get an offer.

You said "Considering I got fast-tracked to final interview and received an offer before most had even started the assessment days, I think that's a pretty big indication that they want me. If it isn't enough though, I think me signing a contract with them is pretty a pretty big sign that they want me. " I call that 'keen to show how much they want you'. Doesn't seem an unreasonable statement to me.

You have no idea who I am and what I think is worthwhile - don't assume everyone on TSR is a teenager just starting out :wink:
Send them a sorry for your loss card 😂
Original post by threeportdrift
Geez, calm down, you are just digging yourself a bigger hole.

EY haven't been offering apprenticeships for 4 years, so they haven't had anyone do a first year, leave, complete university and get an offer.

You said "Considering I got fast-tracked to final interview and received an offer before most had even started the assessment days, I think that's a pretty big indication that they want me. If it isn't enough though, I think me signing a contract with them is pretty a pretty big sign that they want me. " I call that 'keen to show how much they want you'. Doesn't seem an unreasonable statement to me.

You have no idea who I am and what I think is worthwhile - don't assume everyone on TSR is a teenager just starting out :wink:

Yeah, they've received offers for when they finish uni.

How am I digging myself a bigger hole? What is this hole to begin with?

Yeah, i have no idea who you are, hence why i made assumptions. But, please, go ahead, tell me what is more worthwhile than earning a salary, boosting your CV, making connections, learning about an industry and meeting new people?
Yeah, they've received offers for when they finish uni.

How am I digging myself a bigger hole? What is this hole to begin with?

Yeah, i have no idea who you are, hence why i made assumptions. But, please, go ahead, tell me what is more worthwhile than earning a salary, boosting your CV, making connections, learning about an industry and meeting new people?

You should go for it if you want to but prepare to answer questions like these when you graduate " why did you leave ey/apprenticeship for uni?" what are you gonna say? "I wanted to boost my cv"?

If I were you, I'll be honest with them during the interview and I will explain to them how I want to have industry experience etc.
Cuz If you don't then you'll probably have some trouble in the future if your next job asks for a reference from EY.

Yeah, having some industry experience will the best thing to do during that year and most Unis will obviously love the work experience. That will definitely make you stand out but bear in mind you may need a reference from EY for uni application.

Whatever you do, good luck and I wish you all the best :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Also if you drop out quite a lot of places will nail you with the tuition fees so it's a completely **** idea.

I genuinely don't understand why you would do a year of an apprenticeship, quit to go traveling then go to uni.

If I was a recruiter and I heard ' Yah I was the best mate but I quit and intended to all along then went traveling' I would assume you got the sack and then weren't sure what to do so went traveling.

There is absolutely no way EY would take you back afterwards, end of.

TLDR : Wrecking you life - do not do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fatcoin
Also if you drop out quite a lot of places will nail you with the tuition fees so it's a completely **** idea.

I genuinely don't understand why you would do a year of an apprenticeship, quit to go traveling then go to uni.

If I was a recruiter and I heard ' Yah I was the best mate but I quit and intended to all along then went traveling' I would assume you got the sack and then weren't sure what to do so went traveling.

There is absolutely no way EY would take you back afterwards, end of.

TLDR : Wrecking you life - do not do.

I'm not quitting to go travelling, I would go straight to university. Why would I tell a recruiter I intended to quit all along?

EY have made return offers for people to come back after uni.
Except I do want to go to university, so theres really nothing to see through.

I will burn bridge with EY? Is that why they've got a track record of giving return offers to those who leave for uni?

'You seem keen', what are you on about? Someone made an incorrect statement and I corrected them, I don't know what kind of reality you live in in which that is 'keen'. And for the rest of the middle paragraph, see above.

There are far more interesting and worthwhile things? So earning 20k, meeting new people, getting experience, making contacts is not 'interesting' or 'worthwhile'? What do you find worthwhile? Sitting on your bum watching TV? Or are you one of those going travelling in their gap 'yah' and thinks that nothing else could be worthwhile or interesting? I don't need 4 months (because, let's face it, most people don't go travelling for the majority of the year) to go travelling, I am already doing that this summer and plan to do it in the future at my own pace.. Unlike you, some people don't think on such a basic level.

I would be careful with this type of behaviour as companies have been known to employ blacklists which are shared with other companies, if you do screw them over. (This might not apply to E&Y and one year is a somewhat reasonable amount to stay I guess.) The risk is worth taking into account though.

Also I hope you don’t act so condescending to people you meet in industry, acting like you know it all. As their opinions were very worthwhile and you should take them into account rather than throw insults at people trying to help you, it doesn’t look good on you and people may not be willing to help you as a result.
Original post by Themysticalegg
I would be careful with this type of behaviour as companies have been known to employ blacklists which are shared with other companies, if you do screw them over. (This might not apply to E&Y and one year is a somewhat reasonable amount to stay I guess.) The risk is worth taking into account though.

Also I hope you don’t act so condescending to people you meet in industry, acting like you know it all. As their opinions were very worthwhile and you should take them into account rather than throw insults at people trying to help you, it doesn’t look good on you and people may not be willing to help you as a result.

Surprisingly enough, I respect knowledgable professionals more so than TSR users
Wow, just wow......can I even.....

Okay, look I understand you are wanting to do the apprenticeship with a big brand like EY (which is good getting big brands on your CV) as it will defo boost your CV. However, not completing the apprenticeship with them is not only a waste of THEIR money and time but also yours. Why do you want to go to uni when EY do apprenticeship degree's? Its like a backwards step...

The very least you can do is finish the apprenticeship. If you do not then EY will certainly not take you on in the future (would you take someone on who couldn't finish a course that you paid for?). You also underestimate the power that a big company like EY has...they are very closely connected to other companies and will share stories/data with others, who will gladly blacklist you because their friend at EY said so.

Or the other company will look at your as a candidate and when they do research about you i.e they will contact other company's and might know people inside EY to get an idea of your character/would they recommend you etc. Let me be clear, it will not look good for you! Sure you might be able to blag it but I doubt it in this day and age, employers are tending to do their homework more and more on candidates for jobs.

Hope this answers your question.

Quick Reply